X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distance to wall

Starting a remodel today, picking up where someone else left off. Plumber has toilet drain and water closet feed coming out of the floor. I have to build a wall behind the toilet. How far from the edge of the drain should I build the new wall?

Thanks,

Tom

Re: Distance to wall

12" is the norm from the finished wall material to the center of the closet bend hole,but You can go 10" with a 10" rough toilet. Good Luck!
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I didn't see any new toilet in the house so I suspect there isn't one purchased yet. I will go with 12" to be on the safe side.
      Thank you.
      Tom

Comment

Never assume the homeowner knows what they want or which direction the project will go.Verify that the homeowner is not going to surprise you with a 1-1/2 tile wainscoat forcing the purchase of an unnecessarily expensive 10" toilet.

Comment

it's not just the 12'' to the finish wall, but 15'' minimum to the center line side to side. so a properly centered toilet in a 30'' wide compartment is also required.

keep in mind when they refer to a 12'' rough in. it's technically not 12'' in the rough, unless you like the look of open studs, it's 12'' from the finished wall.

the finished wall could have 1/2'' or thicker drywall, tile, wood, mirror.

same goes for the floor finish. the closet ring is suppose to sit on top of the finish floor. the finish floor could be vinyl over 3/4'' ply, tile, marble, carpet.

on custom jobs that's unspecified, i kept the riser long and installed a foam spacer to allow for a perfect fit after the finished floor was installed.

couldn't do that on major production jobs as the inspector always wanted to see the rings bolted down in the rough.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

The centering is important I replaced a toilet in a newly remodeled bathroom. The "remodeler" put in a shower that was too wide, and the toilet tank had to be installed twisted a little to accommodate the new marble surround. They had leak/ cracking issues in short order. So they ended up buying a toilet with a smaller tank and shorter rough.
            Last edited by EasyEman; 03-30-2009, 10:24 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

It should always be 12" to the finish wall and it is important to know the finish wall while you are doing rough. Although you can buy a 10" and a 14" for mistakes in the rough they are more expensive and very limited.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thanks for all the responses.

There is no wall there now. I have to build it along with some cabinets behind and over the toilet . The customer wants sheetrock, he will paint it. I think I better make arrangements to have the toilet on site before I build the wall.

On the side to side issue I didn't measure the distance from the shower wall to the outside wall, but I would guess it is probably about 40". When does centering become an issue or, I guess in this case, cease to become an issue? Can the 30"centering measurement mentioned be translated to mean a 15" minimum clearance on one side? If there is a 40" opening does the drain have to be centered in it?

I hope the plumber knew what he was doing when he roughed in the drain.

Tom
                Last edited by Tom W; 03-30-2009, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Tom, go with the 15" minimum, you dont have to center it although generally it is more astetically pleasing. Sorry I missed you this weekend, so many things just came up all at once, I was looking foward to getting out of the house too!

Comment

Spinner,

OK, thank you I will go with 15". I am not going to do any of the plumbing I just want to make sure I don't build something and then have tear it down and rebuild it because it won't pass inspection.

Lots of great projects to see this year. I am always amazed that some of these things are built under less than optimum circumstances, eg in a person's kitchen.

Tom

Comment

I ruff in W\C at 13 off back wall studs. that leaves around 1\2 to 1 inch gap between the tank and the finished wall if you sheetrock. You don't have to center the W\C drain in the 40 inch space as long as you are min of 15 off one side. as said above it might look better center in the 40 inch space. just depends on the layout of the bathroom.

Comment

Working...
                      X