Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weak water pressure after waterheater

Hello,

We bought our house about 10 months ago and it's roughly 60 years old. The hot water heater was on it's last legs so we replaced it. The new hot water heater works fine, except the PRV leaks. I'm probably losing about a gallon a day into a bucket. The temperature is set below factory default. I replaced the valve thinking that maybe it was faulty. The new valve does the same thing.

I checked the water pressure in the house, and it was above 80 psi. I tested it on the basement basin sink and the garage hose. There is a pressure reducer valve, so I reduced the pressure down to 55 or so. The hot water heater stopped leaking like a sieve, but now I don't have much water pressure in the kitchen sink, bathroom sink, toilet, bathtub and so on. Both hot and cold are affected.

It seems to me that the water pressure in the house was bad for the previous owners and they just backed the pressure reducer back. The old hot water heater's PRV was corroded and didn't work.

To sum it all up the water pressure, both hot and cold, is bad going upstairs. From what I can gather from the leaky PRV at the hot water heater, the issue is "after" it in the system. I'm assuming I'm going to have to bring in a pro, but I'm hoping someone might be able to explain what could be going wrong.

Great forum. Thanks in advance!

Re: Weak water pressure after waterheater

PRV Pressure reducing valve or PRV pressure relief valve( which should be temperture and pressure relief valve. You should probably have the T&P replaced again if that is what is leaking.
    Either way leaks are bad. Have you cleaned your aerators since the water heater replacement.
    Alot of times the faucets get clogged with sediment that breaks loose when the pipes are disturbed.

Comment

Thanks for the response EasyEman. In my original post, PRV is the pressure relief valve on the water heater. I just said pressure reducer valve for the reducer. Sorry for the confusion!

Yes, I tried cleaning the aerator in the kitchen. The bathtub has the issue as well and there isn't an aerator on it as far as I can tell. There is a surge of pressure when I first turn one of the faucets on but it quickly tails off.

Also, I grabbed a meat thermometer and tested the water temperature at in the kitchen is it read right where I have it set on the water heater itself.

Comment

The tub faucet would clog in the valve assembly or stems. Depends on what you have. Do you have galvanized pipes?

Comment

Everything I can see looks to be copper, but I don't exactly have a trained eye.

Comment

Is there sediment in your toilet tanks? If so what color? Have your water bills been very high?

You should probably have the pressure reducer checked the T&P should hold 150lbs of pressure.
            Sorry... this is all speculation you need to get a plumber to look at your plumbing.
            Last edited by EasyEman; 03-30-2009, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Crank up the pressure again and install an expansion tank.

Comment

You took the pressure down from 80 to 55. crank it back up to about 70 and see if the Pressure Relief Valve starts leaking again. If it only lost a gallon a day @ 80, it probably wont leak @ 70.
                info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

My ? is did the installer check to see if the pressure reducing valve is
                  operating properly,A ( PRV) creates a closed system,and that requires
                  an expansion tank on the inlet side of your W/H.Heat traps
                  can also cause a problem.What brand of W/H?

Comment

Originally posted by snake View Post
                    Crank up the pressure again and install an expansion tank.

55 lbs is plenty. He probably needs to repipe a bunch of old galvanized.

Comment

Cut the hot line after the heater and see what the pressure is like there, it sounds like the check valve on the inlet side of the heater might be acting like a restrictor or possibly plugged with crap. If you have good pressure after the heater then you have some galvanized water line issues.

Comment

if you have dielectric undions on your HWH/HWT it could be a build-up of corrosion.

Vince

Comment

If you have a newer water heater with heat trap nipples they can be very restrictive if you already have low water flow. Remove them and install brass nipples. You will notice a big difference in hot water flow.

Comment

The heat trap is a requirement now.

Comment

Working...
                            X