X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No-hub vs hub and spigot cast iron

Is the only difference between hubless and hub and spigot cast iron the hub on the end of the pipe? What applications would you use one and not the other? Is it possible to connect hubless pipe to a hub and spigot pipe?

Re: No-hub vs hub and spigot cast iron

basically the way the pipe and fittings are joined are the difference.

stick with no hub as it's banded and all you need is a nut driver and 60 inch pound torque wrench.

with bell and spigot, you need old school skills along with all the lead working tools.

you can cut the bell off and join with a no hub band on pipe.

on a fitting you need to either pour a joint or get a hammer in fernco bushing.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick

Comment

Are there any codes where you need to use hub and spigot over no hub?

Comment

typically underground bell and spigot is required

Comment

Your allowed to do plumbing to your own house in WI but I have no idea where you stand permit wise.I would check with the local inspector or city.Here in MN plastic is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              basically the way the pipe and fittings are joined are the difference. you can cut the bell off and join with a no hub band on pipe.
              rick.
              The o.d. of service weight bell and spigot pipe is a little smaller than no hub pipe so the standard no hub coupling tends to bind up when tightened on the service weight side. Better to go with a Mission Coupling (CP200 for 2", CP33 for 3" and CP44 for 4").

Comment

with bell and spigot, you need old school skills along with all the lead working tools.
                Rick, did you forget about the tried and true old standby, the standard soil pipe gasket?
                Last edited by BadgerDave; 04-03-2009, 04:57 PM. Reason: Added Smilee, Don't Want Anyone To Think I'm Picking On Rick
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I didn't know that hub and spigot was even still available! Certainly, nobody uses it for new residential in Toronto, Ontario I'm pretty sure of that.

Can an Ontario plumber answer: is hub and spigot cast still available in Toronto?

Comment

You CANNOT legally do your own plumbing in your own house. The common quote is..."you can fry yourself, but you cant drown yourself." Now I mentioned legally (hee hee). Why not run PVC?

Comment

stick with no hub as it's banded and all you need is a nut driver and 60 inch pound torque wrench.

you can cut the bell off and join with a no hub band on pipe.

on a fitting you need to either pour a joint or get a hammer in fernco bushing.

rick.
                      Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                      Rick, did you forget about the tried and true old standby, the standard soil pipe gasket?
                      dave i was trying to come up with the name of that coupling so i called it a hammer in fernco bushing

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

In Wisconsin a homeowner can legally do plumbing and pull permits if it is a single family home and occupied by the homeowner. If you need a code reference I can post it.

Why not use PVC, it is cheaper and much easier to install? You would still need to follow all codes.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                          You CANNOT legally do your own plumbing in your own house. The common quote is..."you can fry yourself, but you cant drown yourself." Now I mentioned legally (hee hee). Why not run PVC?

Why use CI at all. I would switch to pvc which you can also connect to cast iron with a similar no hub mission style fitting.

Comment

Working...
                          X