X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brass to PVC

I am a basic question that hopefully someone can answer.

I am installing a new inground swimming pool, and there is a new NEC code that requires that the pool to be bonded. I found a product that does this however it is made out of brass and has a 1" NPT thread on it to comply with the new code.

Everything on my pool up to this point is PVC. So my question is can I connect a 1" male NPT into a female coupling without any leaking problems or code violations.

Should I use teflon or thread paste or permatex. Any suggestions would be great as this is the last item left on th list.

Re: Brass to PVC

Yes. Tape & Pipe dope. PVC male into Female Metal.

No leaks please.

J.C.

Comment

If your only option is a female PVC adapter use sch 80 PVC and/or a stainless hose clamp to help the plastic hold its shape against the outward push of the tapered male metal(brass) adapter.
      otherwise I agree with JC
      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        Yes. Tape & Pipe dope. PVC male into Female Metal.

No leaks please.

J.C.
        Thats the way!

Comment

I wont use a male pvc adapter,,female all the way ,teflon tape and stop when it tight.

Comment

Depending on your pool type and construction material you may be able to use something simple like the Bond Safe 680 - www.bondsafe680.com which goes in the skimmer. Bonding a pool is VERY important and not something 'new' in the NEC. ALL metal parts around the pool must be bonded, hand rails, slides, stairs, wet niche light, etc... anything that has metal in contact with the earth. If your pool is a concrete pool with rebar there should be 4 points that you would connect the bond wire to, if you have a new fiberglass surround liner pool the coping may be metal (or plastic), and each piece must be bonded together... PLEASE make sure you bond correctly otherwise you can/will have a terrible accident around the pool. There are also outlet requirements to have one within a certain distance of the pool that must be met... Are you doing the electrical yourself or just the bonding? A pool is Very involved and a lot of electricians don't do them because they will either A. Mess it up, B. don't want the liability, C. don't know how. If you have any questions on the pool wiring or anything electrically related to it, there are a few of us electricians on here that wouldn't mind helping in the electrical forum

Comment

Working...
            X