X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.O system air gap

So I went to install a reverse osmosis filter today with this air gap http://www.fixtureuniverse.com/produ...px?sku=1628149 There is a insta-hot along with it so the filter faucet has hot and cold. The problem is that water leaks out all over the counter from the air gap. I made sure that the tubing isn't kinked anywhere, and I can blow air through the lines. Has anybody else installed this brand?
    Here is what the faucet looks like http://www.fixtureuniverse.com/produ...inkLoc=related

Re: R.O system air gap

Absolutely cannot have a dip in the pipe from the air gap to the drain connection, NONE.

Also, that tube that leads from the RO system and goes to the spout, there must be a flow limiter/restrictor inside that tube where it connects to the RO system discharge, otherwise it will blow/spill water all the time.

If you're talking about this problem in the initial setup; it's common to have this problem and will stop because there's compressed air pockets that are being bled out of the system.

Some systems require 4 hour initial run time, some 24 hours.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

There isn't any dip in the line going from the air gap into the drain, I was draining it into a bucket just to see if anything came out. And there is a flow restricter on the r.o system. This is the initial run of the filter so maybe it is just air pockets spitting the water out. Thanks Dunbar, I will let it run more tomorow and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Fubar View Post
        There isn't any dip in the line going from the air gap into the drain, I was draining it into a bucket just to see if anything came out. And there is a flow restricter on the r.o system. This is the initial run of the filter so maybe it is just air pockets spitting the water out. Thanks Dunbar, I will let it run more tomorow and see what happens.

Always in the initial "priming" of the system, you'll have bursts of air/water and since air is compressible and water is not, this sort of thing is expected on the setup phase.

I freaked out too when I started installing these, thinking I had problems but it's just displacing air from the bladder tank along with the rest of the system.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Well I let the r.o. filter run through it's initial fill and after about ten minutes it stopped spitting water out the air gap. So thanks again Dunbar, it was the air in the line causing the problem.

Comment

Working...
          X