X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hole in the sump pit liner

Hello, i wonder if anyone can help me. my liner a triangular shape hole approximately 3x1 1/2 in the bottom of the liner that has come put. i constantly have water coming in and rising approximately 6 to 8 inches in the pit. this happens either with normal rainfall or heavy rainfall plus thawing in the spring, plus when there is no rain. basically there is always water there causing my pump to keep going. would this hole being so big cause water to come in. would it be worth while to replace the liner and if i do will the water stop coming in and where would the water go.

Re: hole in the sump pit liner

Can you post a pic?
    Sounds to me like it's working as a sump pit should.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
      Can you post a pic?
      Sounds to me like it's working as a sump pit should.
      i agree with Gene it sounds like thats working correctly. Normally in sump pit buckets i drill holes throughout the entire thing.

Comment

Thanks guys, i was able to take a picture of the size of piece that came out of the liner.
        Attached Files

Comment

Is this a new house for weeping tile only or is it a sump pit to take away ground water with holes drilled in the tank. If your weeping tile drains into this tank there should be no other holes and by the looks of the pic that you submitted I would guess that if this was put into a new home that your installer was having trouble with the tank floating due to a high water table and punched a hole in the botton so the tank wouldn't float up. If this is the case your pump will discharge way more water than it needs to. Does the discharge go to the outside of your home?

Comment

the house is 6 1/2 years old. the discharge from the sump pit goes out through a line that tee'ed into a sewer pipe that goes to the sewer down the street from the house. the only holes that the tank has is this triangular shape knocked out of the bottom.

Comment

If your home was built 6.5 years ago it may have had the weeping tile drain into the floor drain if that is the case and you would be able to tell be removing your floor drain grille and looking in to see if there are 1 or 2 corrugated pipes terminating there. If there are this is where your weeping tile will drain to and your sump tank will be for ground water only that your weeping tile is not dealing with. If there are holes up quite high on your sump tank then that would be where your weeping tiles are draining to either way it souds like you are trying to lower the water table too much. When we do a weeping style pit we only drill holes in the top 1/3of the tank becauuse even at that level you are still lowering the water table at least 12" below the concrete. I would change out the tank and re-work it to better fit your needs either way.

Comment

The only hole in the pit is the weeping tile coming into the pit itself, besides the piece that fell out of the liner itself. i'm really basic at plumbing and this may be a stupid question , but where would you find the floor drain grille i have 2 drain like fixtures one that has a drain like cover and the 2nd is another cover but it looks like that it is round but has a square shape in the middle of this. also how easy is it to replace the pit liner.

Comment

Okay so your pit is for the weeping tile if the tiles terminate there. The flooor drain will have little holes in it and is used to take away water in a flood or if the water heater spings a leak. Bottom line the hole should not have been made in the bottom of the tank at the time of installation and as I said in my first post was probably put there because the installer was having trouble putting the tank in because of a high water table. In our area this is all controlled by building inspectors and the ruling here is if it is used for weeping tile the inspector does not want to see any other perforations in the tank therefore yours should be changed out. Even though it is 6 years I would get ahold of the original installer and ask for them to look at it. If you can't get any satisfaction from them and want to change it you will have to rent a jackhammer and break out the cement on top of it and remove the tank and replace it with a new on backfill around it with crushed rock and recement. It is a fairly big job. As for as the other cover that you are asking about it is probably a cleanout for the soil gas trap for the weeping tile or a backwater valve that helps protect in the event of flooding. Worst case scenario I guess if you don't replace the tank is premature failures of pumps do to continued usage.

Comment

Thanks Bob, i'll look into the original installer of the liner, to hopefully figure this out wihout myself fixing it. i think i might even contact the city to see what they say.

Comment

Working...
                    X