X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why

I have a '''why" question--mostly curiosity. Why do urinals (in public places, stores, etc.) have either a 3/4" or 1" supply to the valve and then just 1/2" to the fixture itself?

Re: Why

To give us something to think about while were trying to pee, so we don't get stage fright from thinkin' the guy next to us is taking a peek?
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
      To give us something to think about while were trying to pee, so we don't get stage fright from thinkin' the guy next to us is taking a peek?
      does this type of thing happen up north a lot Gene
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
        does this type of thing happen up north a lot Gene

Only when I hang out at the rest areas at night.

OOOPS.. did I just say that out loud???
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
          Only when I hang out at the rest areas at night.

OOOPS.. did I just say that out loud???
          Oh Gene! Your such a brute!!!!
          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

and i thought i was twisted.

i worked on them but never really thought about it.

good question.

Vince

Comment

It is for the flow required to operate the valve and flush the urinal. We have to install a minimum 1" line for a urinal but I wonder if that will change with all of the new low/no flush urinals.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

it's for the flush valve. needs more volume since the urinal does not flush by gravity like a traditional toilet would.

Comment

If the green nazi's have their way we will be using waterless urinals before long.
                  Bring on the drain cleaners after these messes are installed!

Description

Duravit Architec McDry Waterless Urinal (0844360092), White

Duravit's sophisticated European bath fixtures offer world-class design features that can turn any bathroom into a bath suite. Duravit's German designed products are distinctive, award winning, and comply with the highest demands of shape, color and function.
                  The McDry flushless urinal features a sealing liquid that has a specific gravity lighter than urine that keeps odors away. McDry's droplet shape prevents dirt from building up, and is completely contact-free for the user.

Oooooooookay.

Comment

those urinals make the whole restrooms smell like old piss, and that is worse than crap or grease.

Comment

Why not just put a portalet in there instead, its waterless.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                        It is for the flow required to operate the valve and flush the urinal. We have to install a minimum 1" line for a urinal but I wonder if that will change with all of the new low/no flush urinals.

Mark
                        mark, joey is correcting you, but she's not near the computer

joey says that most urinals require 3/4'' to the valve and toilets require 1''.

i told her the sloan 186 with 3/4'' tailpiece is 3/4''.

but the sloan 180 with 1.25'' tailpiece is 1''.

this use to screw us up as it wasn't always specified as to which urinal was being installed and 3/4'' was typical. we would just swap the wall valve to the 3/4'' if it was a #180 flushometer. or swap the tailpiece on a 186 to 1.25''.

both ways work fine as there was always enough water volume. you literally needed to open the check stop 1 turn. beyond that you would wash your privates

here is a good sloan link for some options.

http://www.sloanvalve.com/installationinstr/0816312.pdf

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          mark, joey is correcting you, but she's not near the computer

joey says that most urinals require 3/4'' to the valve and toilets require 1''.

i told her the sloan 186 with 3/4'' tailpiece is 3/4''.

but the sloan 180 with 1.25'' tailpiece is 1''.

this use to screw us up as it wasn't always specified as to which urinal was being installed and 3/4'' was typical. we would just swap the wall valve to the 3/4'' if it was a #180 flushometer. or swap the tailpiece on a 186 to 1.25''.

both ways work fine as there was always enough water volume. you literally needed to open the check stop 1 turn. beyond that you would wash your privates

here is a good sloan link for some options.

http://www.sloanvalve.com/installationinstr/0816312.pdf

rick.
                          Tell Joey I stand corrected, the water closets are 40 FU but the urinals are only 20 FU. There was a time when the UPC did not differentiate between a water closet and a urinal they just said flushometer valves for water closets and similar... so they were sized the same.

Mark
                          Last edited by ToUtahNow; 04-08-2009, 12:00 PM.

Comment

mark, you owe it to her to call her yourself

you might need to explain it first

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Too late I've already talked to her and she told me all of your secrets.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X