Before I go any further

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before I go any further

can someone take a look at the pics and see if I can tap into this drain somewhere for a shower drain and vent? there isn't a whole lotta room. The new drain needs to go where the red dot is. Any help would be greatly appreceiated

Thanx
    Snipit
    Attached Files

Re: Before I go any further

It will work.

J.C.

Comment

Not sure if you have enough distance for the trap.

Do you have a measurement from the dot to the pipe?

Comment

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this is outside of the range of a DIY'er

Call a pro ... Underslab is the worst place to make a mistake.

Okie

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
          Not sure if you have enough distance for the trap.

Do you have a measurement from the dot to the pipe?

6" to center

Comment

call a plumber, your were way in over your head when you picked up the hammer and screw driver the break out the concrete.
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
              call a plumber, your were way in over your head when you picked up the hammer and screw driver the break out the concrete.

Wow! Now thats funny!

Comment

Loop your drain to the wall behind to pick up a vent.You'll have to break out a little more floor to the left.Plenty of room.How are you cutting into the cast?

Comment

I occasionally go the DIY route for some stuff around my house. This looks like one I wouldn't touch with a 10 ft pole.

Comment

I would agree with the others. Save money by breaking and then patching the concrete yourself, but let a "licensed" plumber install the underground. Under slab is not somewhere you want to make a mistake.

If you do it yourself, please post more pictures of your work before patching the concrete. We'll be nice.

Comment

Where did the water that is present in the hole come from?

Comment

remember that you will have to proprly vent the new shower too. without raising the floor or running it to a wall, you'll be flat venting which is not an approved method here.

the line needs a wye cut into it and the venting needs to remain 45 degrees or greater from flat. that's considered vertical.

also it looks like there is copper running in the slab. we can't soft solder in or under the slab.

try to roll the wye to a wall and 4 up for the trap and vent.

keep all your water above the slab.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

I dont believe that you have the space. You will have to have enough room for a wye fitting and a 2 inch p trap. If you put the wye on its back and run the p trap into it you will be above slab. If you do it on its side you'll be 12 or 15 inches away from the pipe.

I just did mine and inorder to get the proper slope and placement I had to raise the shower bed base about 4 inches.

Venting is another issue. You have to have a vent within 8 feet of the trap.

What else is on the line you want to cut into? how far to the wall up stream?

Comment

Thanx for the reply's
                            I had a plumber look at it and he said the same thing "not enuf room" UNLESS I busted up more floor and reworked the CI which would be big bucks. Plus the soft copper water line is sitting on top of the CI pipe.
                            SO I aborted the idea and just filled the hole in. Money is always an issue I knew I was in trouble when I saw all that pipe right where my drain needed to go!

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
                            I dont believe that you have the space. You will have to have enough room for a wye fitting and a 2 inch p trap. If you put the wye on its back and run the p trap into it you will be above slab. If you do it on its side you'll be 12 or 15 inches away from the pipe.

I just did mine and inorder to get the proper slope and placement I had to raise the shower bed base about 4 inches.

Venting is another issue. You have to have a vent within 8 feet of the trap.

What else is on the line you want to cut into? how far to the wall up stream?

Comment

Working...
                            X