X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pvc material question

Students have a question today. The question is...what is the difference between solid wall pvc piping and cellular core wall pvc piping? What is the reason behind making two different styles of the same pipe? Thanks for any info.
    Jonesy

Re: Pvc material question

Cellular core is NON-PRESSURE Drainage pipe ... A LOT Cheaper

Not The strongest material ... Not The worst

Check with Local Codes

I tend to use well Casing For my Drain lines ;-)

Just Do NOT Forget and use it for a water Line ... LOL

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by JONESY View Post
      Students have a question today. The question is...what is the difference between solid wall pvc piping and cellular core wall pvc piping? What is the reason behind making two different styles of the same pipe? Thanks for any info.
      Jonesy
      this also applies to abs.

in the older days all piping was solid core. meaning the pipe was solid resins/ pipe for the full thickness.

probably a good 15 years ago the manufacturers cheapened up the pipe by filling the inner core with a "cellular core". so instead of being solid all the way through, only the inner wall and outer wall is solid. less than a 1/16'' wall thickness.

by doing this it lightens the pipe weight and the raw material cost is less too.

as far as i know this is only for non pressure dwv piping. not for pressure piping like mains and sprinklers.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

The first I've seen of this cell-core stuff on ABS pipe was a Lowe's (Lowe's has just entered ther Canadian Market place). Home Depot doesn't carry the Cell-core in either ABS or PVC (ABS is the main seller in Toronto for DWV in homes). Anyway, when I saw this cell-core ABS stuff at Lowe's I thought this is alot cheaper than Home Depot's price! Then when I picked up the pipe I quickly noticed is was alot lighter. I read the writing and I saw that is was "Cell-core". So far I'm not impressed, for the cost savings (I forgot the difference in cost---a few bucks I think), I would buy/install the regular stuff, it just seems STRONGER and has good HISTORY....I'll let others use Cell-core first....just my opinion.

Comment

Its been available here for at least 10 years. It is more brittle when cold and will sag more if not supported properly. Now approve for underground.

Comment

People wanted cheaper products, the product maker listened.

It's a product that when we started roughing in homes, we were told that we had to take the glue and wipe the ends of the pipe before joining, because the product wasn't passing air tests because the air was moving through in core of the pipe.

Can you imagine how much fun that was, looking for leaks when the joints are solid, but the pipe somewhere is?
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Try putting a glue test cap on cell core then put pressure on it.
              FUN

Comment

In my area most of the towns/villages/cities have banned the use of "cell core" pipe. This is due to the cut end being "open/exposed" and waste and water entering the open core, and the pipe becoming disstorted and actually the inner layer closing up the pipe. I can remember when this problem first occcured the "fix" was to make sure to dab the cut end of the pipe with glue before joining.

Comment

Dunbar....WOW, thats CRAZY dabbing the cut ends of Cell-core in glue before making a joint!!! NO WAY I will use it now...

Comment

We use Cellular ABS here too! Tested to 10' head never a problem unless someone forgets to glue a joint. They should make the glue white! that is all I am saying.

Comment

In N.C. cellular core is typical. Used to test through the roof. Now above the highest fixture. No problems.

They do make some approved cellular core that is very thin and brittle. Looks like what I call area drain pipe. Now that's some junk.

But Sch. 40 cellular core has no problems that I'm aware.

J.C.

Comment

Never had a problem with cell-core, however would never use or recommend 3" sch 30 or 4" S/D
                        Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

And don't use cell core to make a tater gun.

Comment

Originally posted by lmpg View Post
                            And don't use cell core to make a tater gun.
                            Finally, some good advice we can all use!
                            Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Working...
                            X