X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathtub noises

I'm not sure if this is even a problem but it does annoy me lately -- we have either an acrylic or fiberglass or a mix of that bathtub (not sure it is white and looks like plastic) as old as the house (going on 9 years) on the 2nd floor. If you step into it, it makes a creaking noise, and when you step out. Sometimes it makes creaking noises when you are in it too. From what I can tell, it's mainly in the middle of the tub. No leaks, no cracks, just noise. I guess it's been making this noise for a while now, I just wanna know if this would one day make the tub crack or leak.

Thanks.

Re: Bathtub noises

it sounds like to me that it's a plastic tub that it on it's way out.

i could be wrong though.

wait for some of the other guys to reply.

a picture might help.

Vince

Comment

There was a time where we use to install a casting plaster below the plastic or fiberglass tubs for support when we installed them. Today many of the manufacturers say you no longer need to do it. The end result is often a squeaky tub which will make noise but generally not leak.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I've always put mortar under a shower or tub? Is this wrong?
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

up here we stuff the underside of the tub with insulation.

i think this was originally done to dead'in the sound when somebody takes a shower but i have noticed that it also helps to retain the heat of the water when one takes a bath. without it, the bath water cools very quickly.

it kind of too bad that someone came up with the idea of the plastic tub. now HO/LL have to replace the tub after so many years of use because it cracks.

it's true what they say, they don't build things like they used to.

Vince

it almost seems stupid to have to replace a tub because it's worn out.
          Last edited by Vince the Plumber; 04-09-2009, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            I've always put mortar under a shower or tub? Is this wrong?
            No, not at all Ben

It's only wrong when you want to take it back out With a layer of plastic in between the motar and tub, no worries

Natalie, if it has always made this noise then I wouldn't worry about it. If it's a new noise then you may want to look into it further.

Water could be getting to the subfloor underneath the tub and has softened the structure and causing the flexing of the fiberglass.

Is this in the same bathroom that had a discoloration on the floor tile?

I've had marginal luck by cutting a hole in the drywall behind the tub and using a spray foam material to help support the tub in the middle.

Comment

I have also put foam under bathtubs, I get a long stick and attach four to six feet of clear vinyl tubing to it making an extension from the spray can. I always make sure the tub is full of water when I use foam as I have seen some other plumber's mishaps.

Comment

But for example....the AmStd Americast specifically says to NOT use any mortar or bedding under. It will damage the lamination and void the warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                  No, not at all Ben

It's only wrong when you want to take it back out With a layer of plastic in between the motar and tub, no worries
                  I guess someone will be cussing my name when a tub comes out. I'll remember the plastic for next time Bill. thanks.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Hi everyone,
                    I forgot to take a picture last night -- will try to today.

Hi Bill -- not a new noise really. It's been making the noise for a while now, can't really remember when it started, but it's not new. But yeah, it's the same bathroom where the toilet wax ring had been leaking, which we fixed. The vinyl/lin. is still discolored from that, haven't changed the flooring yet. I guess this means it's okay --- not sure if my handyman knows how to insert foam underneath. Thanks for the tips!

Comment

I staple chicken wire to the floor 1st then place either mortar of stucco. It won't break up in pieces that way. a sawsall will make quick work of demo. Argument bogus
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Hi everyone,
                        Here's a picture of my bathtub. Pretty sure based on what people have said that it shouldn't be a problem, but just in case--

Thanks.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Felt paper should go down 1st or anyplace fiberglass is touching wood. Including up on the screw flange on the walls. Even if you bed the tubs in cement the best way to stop squeaks is felt paper. Work for a builder that makes you fix any squeek caused by plumbing and felt paper becomes your best friend. It was also in there contract we would use felt paper on tubs and pvc pipes.

Comment

Working...
                          X