Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Set Screw on Tub Faucet Handle Stuck

Hello All.

Moen Monticello. Limed. Calcified. Whatever you want to call it. In freakin possible to get this screw off with the required hex. Had vinegar sitting in screw hole for a while. Any suggestions? And... dare I say it....what do I do if I end up stripping screw head? Any help greatly appreciated. Parts list attached for info. Thanks.
    Attached Files

Re: Set Screw on Tub Faucet Handle Stuck

drilling an allen screw can be difficult. they are typically hardened unless they are stainless. try a left hand drill bit to help ease it out if you can find one.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

often a torx bit will bite a hex hole better than an allen wrench; I've had luck pounding an ever so slightly too large torx into the hole.
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

And if you have to drill out the screw, you can probably get a new handle kit from Moen with the screw and the hub and the small parts that go with it. Otherwise, it's a complete kit, which is still not all that expensive.

Comment

Thanks for all the comments people. After sitting set screw in some Liquid Wrench overnight, screw did not budge (I will remember PB Blaster for next time). I drilled out screw and that didn't work. Had to break off handle. Had a hell of a time trying to get cartridge out without cartridge bolt to hold on to but eventually got it out. Went to Moen and they replaced damaged parts for free.

Comment

Working...
          X