X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flare end

I have a new gas dryer...We have a nipple that that is attached to the pipe coming out of the dryer...... The male portion of the pipe coming out of dryer recieves pipe dope correct?........however the flare end of the nipple does not recieve pipe dope correct? The flare end screws into SS flex connector

Re: Flare end

I put alittle dope on the flare too. just a tad on the flare of the fitting. just don't get cazy with it or you can get the dope on the inside of the pipe.

Comment

All of the flexible stainless steel connectors that I have ever used instruct you not to use any thread sealant on the actual flare connection. I would follow the manufacture's instructions and not use any. Just make sure to check all of your connections with a leak detector of some sort.
      Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
        All of the flexible stainless steel connectors that I have ever used instruct you not to use any thread sealant on the actual flare connection. I would follow the manufacture's instructions and not use any. Just make sure to check all of your connections with a leak detector of some sort.
        Dish soap applied to the fittings can show a leak.

Comment

You don't need no stinking dope on a flare fitting. A flared connection is a compression style fitting. If your flare is good and full then put the wrenches to it, snug it, and throw some soap bubbles on that puppy.
          Later, JONESY

Comment

Thx all......we got er' done

Comment

That little bit o dope can end up in the gas valve. No dope on flair fittings ever.
              sigpic

Comment

I am not a plumber, but I am a mechanical engineer. You shouldn't use any pucky (that's a technical term!) on a flare. The flare is designed for a metal-to-metal seal and if done properly is one of the most reliable tubing connections there is. Swagelok, Cajon and a few other makers produce very good fittings, too but these are almost never seen in household type applications. Flares (properly formed and assembled the right way-dry) are super reliable and cost-effective. This is why hydraulic and fuel systems often use flare connections and brake systems in cars most always use double-flares.

If a flare is done wrong, pipe dope isn't going to fix it, even if it doesn't leak at the time of install.

-Andy

Comment

the small amount of dope is used as a lubricant and not a sealer.

think about the npt threads we use in plumbing, a true taper on the mip and fip should not require any dope. but when was the last time any of us tried that.

even on compression i use a little wax or dope to lube the threads.

older gas flexes were either brass to brass, aluminum, copper to brass flared adapters.

today the flexes are stainless steel to steel adapters. true the true flare to flare on a 1/3# system will hold. it's the lubing properties that we use it for. even the gas company out here applies grease to their meter connections that are rubber washer based. ever try to remove a gas meter that has been exposed to the elements?

as long as their is no excess dope used that can interfere with the flow of the tubing, doping / lubing the flare or the threads is not a bad thing.

same can be said for a ground joint on a union or trap assembly. we all dope or grease them up. have to.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

since you west coast guys don't do a lot of oil tank piping or oil burner work, you probably don't do a lot of copper flare work either. I have never had to lubricate a flare joint ever. If properly flared the joint will never leak. There is no need to lube it, but if it makes you feel better go ahead and use a bit of oil.
                    sigpic

Comment

Re: Flare end Guess I've been West too long !

Oil heat ? You Guys still using WHALE OIL!
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I had one high rise that had a oil-tank as backup and never used it. When the building was built they got a lower rate on natural gas for having oil as a backup. As for using dope on a flare it is not to seal and it is hardly enough to see. All it is is a little lubrication on the face of the flare.

Mark
                        Last edited by ToUtahNow; 04-12-2009, 02:36 PM.
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thank's Guys for the info. I use to use a dab of soft set on flairs. Was told not to!
                          Will return to the practice.
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

What is considered the written practice? Or what a mfg. recommends? What has traditionally worked does not matter when in court for an explosion.

J.C.

Comment

Re: Flare end Guess I've been West too long !

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                              Oil heat ? You Guys still using WHALE OIL!
                              seal blubber.

just gotta grind it real good before putting it in the oil tank.

Vince

Comment

Working...
                              X