waste disposal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waste disposal

my wife droped a small butter knife in the disposal and part broke off. the blade now is wedged under one of the rotating pieces, any suggestions how to get under and try to free the broken blade that is wedged or do i have to remove said disposal and take apart the whole thing? the blade is approx. 3 inches long

Re: waste disposal

Yes.

Comment

What usually works for me is a piece of 1/2'' gal pipe that is 20'' long. I hold it between my thumb and "pointer" finger and I squeeze it hard enough so that it won't slip. Then I place it in the disposer approximately 2'' above the grind plate as close to or on top of the problem area. I then give it a sharp push almost like playing pool or like those board games after school when I was a kid. Slamming it too hard will solve your problem in a different way as you may end up damaging the grind plate resulting in the purchase of a new disposer so be careful. You can also use this to help rotate the grind plate further assisting you. This handy tool beats the heck out of using an old broom stick and I have had excellent results for over 30 years.
      Last edited by rookie plumber; 04-20-2009, 12:43 AM.

Comment

if it's an insinkerator the underside has an allen key opening that will help with rotating the jammed disposal turntable.

i use a large pair of needle nose and a long scredriver to free up the piece that's wedged. the scredriver is used to pry the blade away from the bottom or side and the needle nose is used to grab the piece.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

thanks everyone for the info, i had to remove the disposal to expose the cover, i removed the cover which gave me access to the grinders and safely removed the stuck blade, i re-installed the disposal and is working fine, thanks again all those who wrote in to help

Comment

Working...
          X