Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venting Bathroom

To all the Gods of Wind and Water!

I undertook (my wife made me!) the easy task of remodeling the bathroom.

When I demoed it, the old bathtub had a straight 4' runner of 1 1/2" copper then elbowed to a 2" cloged/rusted/chocked cast iron pipe for another 4' then down to the main stack.

No VENT!

So... when I started plumbing this... i moved the tub closer to the wall... so closer to the stack. Now the tub is drained by a 4' runner of copper (I did salvage a lot!) then elbows to a 2" ABS for about 1' then down to the wet 3" vent for about 8" and then down the stack.

No VENT!

Now after searching the web and not finding the right answer I come to you Gods and Masters of Wind and Water!

Am I OK without a vent. I guess the first setup (before demo) was not up to code. But with the new one... am I?

Thanks for enlighting this junior DYI!

Richard

Re: Venting Bathroom

I myself need a picture. You keep saying "NO VENT!" but then have "the wet 3" vent" in the same post. (3" Wet Vent)

You may indeed already be vented.

J.C.

Comment

In my experience, most really old homes vent through the basement, not the roof. Maybe that's the case here?
      I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

OK... I'll try to be a little clearer as i do not have a cam handy...

The bathroom is roughly 14' x 7'. There is the main stack that goes from the roof to the basement. It is a 4" CI pipe. The bathroom is on the 2nd floor.

The old tub wasn't vented. It ran 4' in a 1 1/2" copper pipe then 4' in a rusted out 2" CI pipe (I say rusted out because when I took it apart I was wondering how a simple hair would travel down it!) that was connected to the main 4" stack. That stack is the main vent pipe of the house (100 years old).

Now, I have remove the old toilet and tub. I moved the tub closer to the main stack but still... it travels 4' in a 1 1/2" copper pipe and is connected to a 2" ABS pipe for about 12", gets connected to a 3" CI wet vent for about 8" and then it goes down the stack.

My question is how far from the wet vent OR the main stack can I go without adding a vent to the tub. I think I saw once that I could go to a maximum of 5' without venting but I cannot confirm this anywhere.

I'm ready to close the floor but would hate to have to cut it open AFTER just to add an AAV...

Thanks to all!

Richard

Comment

Table 906.1 of the IPC answers your question fairly clearly,

Attached Files
          Last edited by wrench spinner; 04-14-2009, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Thank you Mr. Spinner!

Even if I'm just a few inches too far... the combination of 1 1 /2" 2" and 3" will be OK!

I'll close the floor and that'll be all she wrote!

Richard

Comment

Working...
            X