Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for reccomendations of PEX Manufacturers

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
    the A B C ratings are just different types of extrusion, not a quality rating, it could just as easily have been green purple blue ratings. which in retrospect might have been better since it wouldn't be confused for a quality rating.

I'd prefer to use Wirsbo with an expander, but given the time difference to hand expand versus hitting a crimp ring, I'll stick with Zurn for the time being. It all still boils down to making money for the company, while installing a product you're confident enough in to warranty.

I'm sure some of you can expand as fast as I can crimp, but I can't, either through a lack of practice or willpower.

The ratings are based on the pipe splitting down the side.
    http://www.houseneeds.com/shop/heati...nkbenefits.htm
    Last edited by EasyEman; 04-18-2009, 12:09 PM. Reason: add link

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
      I've never seen this Easy. Can you post a link showing the test?

The information I had stated it was just based on the extrusion method and the A label was misleading because our brains have been trained to believe that "A" always meant best.

Thanks for any links.

J.C.

Comment

site your sources?

http://www.ppfahome.org/pex/faqpex.html

There are currently three methods for producing PEX tubing, the “Engle” or “Peroxide” (PEX-A) method, the “Silane” (PEX-B) method, and the “E-beam” (PEX-C) method . All three processes produce tubing that exceed the minimum requirements of ASTM F 876 and are acceptable for potable water distribution applications.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

The letter "rating" is an identification of how the pipe was made.

PEX-A is cross-linked using a peroxide method.

PEX-B is cross-linked with a saline method.

PEX-C is cross-linked using an electron-beam method.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

http://www.houseneeds.com/shop/heati...nkbenefits.htm
            Your link is interesting but is simply rating their findings of the different types of PEX manufacturing compared to what they sell. It does not have anything to do with the lettering.

Mark
            Last edited by ToUtahNow; 04-18-2009, 12:20 PM.
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I use Both Uponor and Zurn ...

I am pretty fast with Uponor and the Pneumatic expander :-)

But the guy IS doing his own Job ...And I Doubt he Wants to spend the money and get the training to use Uponor ...

I have NEVER had any Zurn Pex Failures

But I HAVE had a few Uponor / Wiersbo failures Pipe Splitting ...

Dave

Comment

Here we go again

I have two, 5 gallon containers set side by side and elevated 6' Off the bottom of each container is a fitting and 6' of pex, with 2 elbows. Container 1 is piped with Wirsbo. container 2 with Viega. When the plugs are both pulled (at the same time) the Wirsbo side will empty in almost 1/2 the time that the Viega side takes. Hmmmmmm. When I set the thing up versus copper, the copper beats them both but not by much on the wirsbo side. Watts is even worse than the Viega.

Pex is always trying to get back to it's original size. Systems using crimp rings force the pex around the fitting. The pex is always in expansion, trying to pull away from that fitting. Fittings using expansion always have the pex trying to close up tighter around the fitting.

all pex is subject to physical damage as well as rodents, UV light and sad to say poor manufacturing techniques. Pex subjected to chlorinated water will be adversly effected as the chlorene reacts with the polymers over time.

When in doubt, go with copper.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                  Here we go again

When in doubt, go with copper.

Alleluhia!

Comment

Zurn uses crimp and Compression to connect. Wirsbo uses crimp compression expander rings and the brass sleeve method. If are equal why can't you use all the same connection methods? Wirsbo discontinued the "crimp" line becuse the rings are the weakest link.

Comment

site your sources?

http://www.ppfahome.org/pex/faqpex.html

There are currently three methods for producing PEX tubing, the “Engle” or “Peroxide” (PEX-A) method, the “Silane” (PEX-B) method, and the “E-beam” (PEX-C) method . All three processes produce tubing that exceed the minimum requirements of ASTM F 876 and are acceptable for potable water distribution applications.
                      Yeah PB is fine too!

Comment

you're still arguing different materials for different processes. For my jobs at work, I install Zurn, I crimp zurn, I don't expand it. The Zurn pex was designed to be crimped, it works very well if it is installed properly, much the same as Wirsbo.
                        For max flow you'd still want copper, but you work within the limitations set by time and budget.

When using a complete zurn system it is warrantied for 25 years, the Uponor system is warrantied for 25 years.
                        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by Soapm View Post
                          I am not a plumber but I used http://www.cashacme.com/prod_sharkbite.php sharkbite connectors and they made the job quick and easy.

Holy S@&T That was expensive LOL

Comment

I love pex its awesome its just simply the best thing to plumb a mobile home with

In a house I just wont use pex I think it looks very tacky and nothing that I am aware of is as good as copper.Copper also has SOME anti-bacterial properties naturally.

Comment

you're still arguing different materials for different processes. For my jobs at work, I install Zurn, I crimp zurn, I don't expand it. The Zurn pex was designed to be crimped, it works very well if it is installed properly, much the same as Wirsbo.
                              For max flow you'd still want copper, but you work within the limitations set by time and budget.

When using a complete zurn system it is warrantied for 25 years, the Uponor system is warrantied for 25 years.

No.... I am arguing that Aqua Pex is a better material. It can be used in any connection system. Zurn says theirs can not. Just take a piece of each hold them side by side and tell me there is no difference.

Comment

When you get right down to it, they are all crap.

don't believe me? Wait a few years.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X