Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for reccomendations of PEX Manufacturers

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
    When you get right down to it, they are all crap.

don't believe me? Wait a few years.

You maybe right!

My old boss said he took 2 pieces of 1" wirsbo coupled them together with the expander rings and tied them to the bumpers of two trucks then tried to pull the joint apart by driving one of the trucks. He said the joint never gave.
    He is and old time plumber he was trying to make it fail to show the "young" guys the stuff wasn't good.

Comment

I think NH maybe right. Gonna' see problems with all of them.

http://www.audetlaw.com/case.php?id=105

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/cou...case_id-61857/

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009...continue-grow/

J.C.

Comment

Well... looking at all this fuss... i am still tight... the best PEX system is COPPER!

one day... u'll all see that pex is banned and that u'll have to all revert to a simple element that has been there for centuries: COPPER!

cheers!

Comment

Do it proper pipe it in copper

Comment

Originally posted by HornyPotter View Post
            Well... looking at all this fuss... i am still tight... the best PEX system is COPPER!

one day... u'll all see that pex is banned and that u'll have to all revert to a simple element that has been there for centuries: COPPER!

cheers!

Copper oxidizes pex does not... pex will out last copper.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
              prove it
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                prove it
                Working on it! The only way to see how long stuff will last for sure is to install it and use it.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
                  Copper has been used for water lines for 4,760-years while PEX has been used for around 40-years. I have seen 80-year old copper installations without a problem. Have you seen any 80-year old PEX jobs without a problem?

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    Copper has been used for water lines for 4,760-years while PEX has been used for around 40-years. I have seen 80-year old copper installations without a problem. Have you seen any 80-year old PEX jobs without a problem?

Mark
                    I knew I should have paid attention in math class.

Comment

I've spoken to Uponor and Viega. The Uponor rep said that when copper prices started increasing, the fitting manufacturers started pulling back Copper content in the brass and substituting Zinc (around 30%) while still keeping the percentages required in range for approvals.

This in the right chemistry water causes Dezincafication.

Zurn and Uponor fittings have been found to have this happen to my knowledge.

Viega may have also but according to them "They do not publish the % of materials in there fittings." I asked specifically.

Viega has a "Press" fitting that's "Bronze" and must be used with their tool and stainless ring. What % of materials is allowed for something to be labeled "Bronze" I don't know. But it seems superior to the fitting they manufacturer for their approved crimp system.

Once again, I have no way to prove it as they will not list material contents of Copper, Zinc, filler etc.

Both Uponor & Viega have stated that all fittings will be California no lead compliant soon and that chemistry will not be susceptible to Dezincafication.

Time will tell, and I'm scared to even say this, but I'm starting to think that Uponor's EP (Engineered Plastic) fittings with their memory PEX clamping system might end up being the most reliable PEX system all the way around.

J.C.
                      Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 04-27-2009, 09:34 PM.

Comment

FYI-Bronze is Copper and Tin while Brass is Copper and Zinc. For Brass you have Yellow Brass (standard plumbing Brass) which is high in Zinc and Red Brass which is low in Zinc. The yellower the Bass the more Zinc it has in it.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

FYI-Bronze is Copper and Tin while Brass is Copper and Zinc. For Brass you have Yellow Brass (standard plumbing Brass) which is high in Zinc and Red Brass which is low in Zinc. The yellower the Bass the more Zinc it has in it.

Mark
                          Halfway knew about the Brass.

Copper & Tin. Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

FYI
                            Viega's engineered plastic called PolyAlloy are "crimp" (copper ring) and NOT "press" (ss sleeve) - they also reduce the ID and thus reduce flow MORE than brass/bronze fittings. Therefore Uponor has the clear advantage in the engineered plastic fittings for PEX. However, I don't know anyone actually using them or even stocking them - neither Viega nor Uponor plastic fittings.

Just as we are seeing problems with pinholes in copper pipe due to quality issues, the dezinc and weakness of low quality brass will haunt us for a decade!

Comment

Mark
                              Better still, use lead! Used for thousands of years, no problems! Old materials are always better, right?

Comment

Originally posted by OldFart View Post
                                Better still, use lead! Used for thousands of years, no problems! Old materials are always better, right?
                                flamer!

Comment

Working...
                                X