X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for reccomendations of PEX Manufacturers

I have an 80+ year house that was plumbed with iron pipe. With all of the scale buildup over the years the effective I.D is about the size of a pencil eraser. I plan to replumb myself and I want to use PEX. So, I am looking for knowledgable reccomendations on which manufactures products are good, as well as which type of connections (cold expansion, crimp, clamp, quick connect) are the easiest to use while still being reliable. Thank you in advance for any help provided.

Re: Looking for reccomendations of PEX Manufacturers

Type B Ringed pex ... Home Run System ...

Dave

Uponor Over rated and you have to be certified ...

Comment

Viega is my personal pex fitting of choice.
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I am not a plumber but I used http://www.cashacme.com/prod_sharkbite.php sharkbite connectors and they made the job quick and easy.

Comment

I have use wirsbo and watts, havent seen viega around here yet NO SHARK BITES with all the sharkbites you will be buying you might as well hire a plumber, it'll cost about the same

Comment

Well... I personnaly would say that the best PEX is........ COPPER!

Think about it. Your actual tubing is 1/2" OD. Use PEX 1/2" OD and you actualy get 3/8" ID as with copper a 1/2" OD will give you a real 1/2" ID.

To get a a 1/2" ID with PEX you have to go 3/4" OD.... not to mention that the unions will still decrease your ID...

Sure thing... PEX is easy to install, no mess, no fuss... PEX + Shark is soo... easy... but also... no gloss!

I'm your average Joe. I rebuilt my 100+ year old plumbing (water supply AND drain) using copper and CI. Sure took me longer and was a heck of a job to cut 3" CI but you should see the water flow i get on the second floor... those 3/4" copper pipes can really deliver!

My $0.02!

Richard

Comment

Uponor Aquapex (wirsbo) is the best system... Use copper by the water heater and for angle stop stub outs.

Who else is giving a 25 year warranty?
              Last edited by EasyEman; 04-17-2009, 08:17 PM.

Comment

I personally use Zurn pipe and fittings, though several people I work with are fond of voiding warranties and use zurn fittings and rings on wirsbo pipe.

Zurn has 3 styles of crimp ring, a solid copper ring, a cinch style ring, and their new QickCert style. The apprentices at work all get stuck using the QickCert, and I mostly use the cinch style. I Prefer the solid copper rings, but they are hard to find here, unless you want to buy them in bags of 10 at Lowes, and you need a seperate crimp tool for each size of pex you work with. As a result those crimpers are mostly retired.

good grief I have about 6 different crimp tools and an expander floating around
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Viega and Uponor are the only manufacturers I'm aware of without litigation against them currently or in the past.

Some other makers are slowly coming into play. I spoke to a Flowguard rep and he had some samples.

Viega or Uponor are both ok so far. People have a tendency to recommend what they've been using or are used too.

J.C.

Comment

Zurn had a lawsuit regarding their brass fittings, their plastic ones are and were fine. I'd assume the problems with the brass fittings have been corrected by now, but I avoid them just from a cost savings perspective.
                    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Stay way from metal crimp ring pex connections.

Zurn pex (C rated) is inferior to Uponor/Wirsbo ( A rated) due to the extrusion method.

My bad Zurn is B not c the c stuff gets brittle and splits.
                      Last edited by EasyEman; 04-18-2009, 12:25 PM.

Comment

the A B C ratings are just different types of extrusion, not a quality rating, it could just as easily have been green purple blue ratings. which in retrospect might have been better since it wouldn't be confused for a quality rating.

I'd prefer to use Wirsbo with an expander, but given the time difference to hand expand versus hitting a crimp ring, I'll stick with Zurn for the time being. It all still boils down to making money for the company, while installing a product you're confident enough in to warranty.

I'm sure some of you can expand as fast as I can crimp, but I can't, either through a lack of practice or willpower.
                        Last edited by MoJourneyman; 04-18-2009, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                          the A B C ratings are just different types of extrusion, not a quality rating, it could just as easily have been green purple blue ratings. which in retrospect might have been better since it wouldn't be confused for a quality rating.

I'd prefer to use Wirsbo with an expander, but given the time difference to hand expand versus hitting a crimp ring, I'll stick with Zurn for the time being. It all still boils down to making money for the company, while installing a product you're confident enough in to warranty.

I'm sure some of you can expand as fast as I can crimp, but I can't, either through a lack of practice or willpower.
                          1 yard down!

You are correct. A,B,C are just labels for the extrusion method.

NO WAY someone can expand as fast as a person can crimp. Some think that you just expand and put the fitting in. Not true.

You expand it one time, rotate the tool, expand it again, check for "grooving" in the interior of the pipe, install your fitting in position, and wait for the compression.

Not to mention if you're in a cold weather environment where it's recommended you preheat the tubing.

J.C.
                          Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 04-18-2009, 12:00 PM. Reason: Making my post make sense! :)

Comment

yeah, 4 months or more out of the year here i'd have to heat gun the expansion rings to get them to seal, not worth it for me. The longer the job takes the less money there is at the end of the year for cost of living adjustments.

Now, on Time and Material jobs, I'll do the install however they want it.

Comment

I actually have a fear of any Zurn I have installed it's the fittings, yes I have read the lawsuit looked at the pics but how do I know I didn't get the bad fittings? Nobody knocked on my door and inspected my stock. Zurn is loose most times I stuck a fitting in the pipe where Viega is a pretty tight fit prior to even doing the ring that to me is a good sign. There are more ridges on the fittings another good sign to me. Viega uses bronze fittings so no lead issues. These are the reasons I switched to viega and I sleep better now.
                              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Working...
                              X