X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was it me?

About two years ago I had an issue with my plumbing backing up. I assumed I had a blockage in my sewer line and called a plumber. He ran a camera down the line and told me there wasn't blockage, but there was a crack at the bottom of the line which was catching material periodically and causing the back-ups. He said I could nurse it if I went easy on the toilet paper. This year after the snow melted I noticed some clear signs of a problem. The street has sunken on both sides and it goes over a hundred feet in either direction. I find it hard to believe that my small leak has caused all of this damage.

Re: Was it me?

Originally posted by Maine Man View Post
    About two years ago I had an issue with my plumbing backing up. I assumed I had a blockage in my sewer line and called a plumber. He ran a camera down the line and told me there wasn't blockage, but there was a crack at the bottom of the line which was catching material periodically and causing the back-ups. He said I could nurse it if I went easy on the toilet paper. This year after the snow melted I noticed some clear signs of a problem. The street has sunken on both sides and it goes over a hundred feet in either direction. I find it hard to believe that my small leak has caused all of this damage.

it's possible.

i've seen some really wierd things in my short days on this earth.

Vince

Comment

Are you talking about "100'in either direction" as in up and down the street?

Any chance the town water main, sewer main or storm drain is in this location and what your seeing is settling of their trench?

I would think if your pipe were broke enough to take in that much material, you would have clogged by now.

What type of pipe do you have and how long is this "crack" that is causing a problem as far as back ups?
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Yes that was over 100' in either direction. It also appears that my house is now undermined and my back steps (masonary) that are 50' from the seer line ave sunk about 6" on the backside.

Comment

It's Cast Iron pipe by the way. I'm not sure of the location of the crack except that it's on the bottom of the pipe.

Comment

How old is your home?

How long have you lived in this home?

Have you ever noticed these things during the spring thaw before?
            Could it be frost heaves?

Is your home on a hill?
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

The house is approximately a hunderd years old. I've been here for 20 years, but I bpought the house from my in-laws who moved here in the early 60"s. I,ve never seen anything like this before. My house is on flat land.

Comment

Based on the information you provided, I don't believe your drainline can cause a street problem like you describe.

That almost sounds like a watermain problem.

You could have them camera the line again for some idea. Seems to me if it was eroding the underground earth to this degree that you might be able to get a look with the camera.

However, I really think somebody's gonna' have to dig it up and find what's going on.

J.C.

Comment

I've seen the water company surveying, so I'm sure it will be dug up soon enough. I was concerned that when they did I was going to be responsible for all that damage.

I do have to get the leak repaired. Should I have the line broken out or have an epoxy sock or should I have it dug up and replaced while they have the street dug up.

Comment

Originally posted by Maine Man View Post
                    I've seen the water company surveying, so I'm sure it will be dug up soon enough. I was concerned that when they did I was going to be responsible for all that damage.

I do have to get the leak repaired. Should I have the line broken out or have an epoxy sock or should I have it dug up and replaced while they have the street dug up.
                    I have ZERO experience with epoxy "sock" lining but am familiar with the process. Done right with the right circumstances, it can make a nice repair. Gene Bickford has experience. His opinion would hold more weight.

I personally feel that excavation and replacement is the best thing to do all the way around.

Ask some friends, co-workers, family for recommendations of a local plumber or contractor that handles such situations. Recommendations always are better than just the phonebook in my opinion.

Good luck with what you decide and please report back of what is done/found. Pictures help everyone to learn, give recommendations, and reinforce any decision you make.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                    X