X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threading Pipe

I am trying to thread a 1-1/4 pipe and have new inserts in a ridgid manual threader. I have only been able to satisfactorily thread the pipe to the end of the inserts. This would seem find expect it only allows me to thread the fitting on about 1.5 turns. As soon as I try to take some additional turns past the end of the inserts, the pipe bends inward due to the extra load. Any ideas what I am doing wrong? Based on the length of thread on a pipe I purchased from Lowes, I need to thread the pipe about an additoinal 1/4 in.

Re: Threading Pipe

Originally posted by Plumbing Rookie View Post
    I am trying to thread a 1-1/4 pipe and have new inserts in a ridgid manual threader. I have only been able to satisfactorily thread the pipe to the end of the inserts. This would seem find expect it only allows me to thread the fitting on about 1.5 turns. As soon as I try to take some additional turns past the end of the inserts, the pipe bends inward due to the extra load. Any ideas what I am doing wrong? Based on the length of thread on a pipe I purchased from Lowes, I need to thread the pipe about an additoinal 1/4 in.

Are you using enough oil and are your dies properly adjusted? Can you tell us which die head you have and which dies you are using?

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I have a Ridgid 12-R. I belive I am using enough oil, as I get a good finish on the thread with no tearing. I thought that maybe the dies weren't properly adjusted so I went and bought a short section of pipe from Lowes and threaded it into the dies until they were tight then I tightened down the screws. I think it is possible that they still aren't properly adjusted--is there a better way to ensure that they are seated. Also, I matched up the number on the dies with the numbers on the head--as best I can remember they were all sequential in a clockwise direction.

Comment

I am using new Ridgid 1-1/4 NPT HSS Dies, Cat # 37885

Comment

what kind of pipe are you threading??

are there any markings on the pipe itself??

anything under a sch. 30 you will not be able to thread, the wall will be too thin and collapse.

almost sounds like you have a piece of sch. 10 pipe or thinwall tubing.

ASTM A-53 is good pipe, it has a welded seam and ASTM A-120 is seamless and a little on the hard side.

Have found the foriegn pipe will have hard and soft spots in it.

let us know what markings are on the pipe.

G3

Comment

The pipe is ASTM A53A Schedule 40 Black Iron.

Have you ever seen a die head go bad? I purchased this set used and all of the dies were in good shape, except for the 1-1/4, which had teeth on 3 of the 4 dies broken. The old dies also have different numbers on the ends of two of the dies. One has 1 on one end and a 3 on the other, and the other has a 3 on one end and a 1 on the other. Also, I noted that the die head has one position that has three different numbers stamped on it; but, the other three positions only have one number so I matched the three I was sure of and by default the fourth one got installed in the position with three different number stampings.

Comment

They need to be 1,2,3,4 and be in slots on your die,1,2,3,4 in order for it to
              thread properly.

Comment

That is how they are installed.

Comment

It is possible that you can get good threads on the first part of the pipe and not have enough or the right kind of oil to finish it up well.

What kind of oil are you using?
                  Also I know this sounds strange but are you sure your fitting is a 1 1/4" NPT?

Comment

Yes, I have confirmed that I am using 1 1/4" NPT. At first I was only using "Tap Magic" cutting fluid. On the last attempt, I used a heavier cutting oil called "VALTAP"--it says it should be used for tapping blind holes. I like it much better as it stays on the tool and pipe longer.

Comment

technically you're not tapping the pipe.

try a heavier oil. try the ridgid nu-clear thread cutting oil.

as others stated, buy a factory nipple and adjust the dies to the factory threads.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

About how much oil do I need to use?

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbing Rookie View Post
                          About how much oil do I need to use?

What are you using to apply the oil? You are supposed to use something like the 418 Oiler. The bucket goes under the pipe you are threading to catch the chips and excess oil. The gun pumps the oil out of the reservoir onto the dies. You should fully cover the pipe before you start threading, then as you thread, just keep flooding the dies with the oil. (pump, pump, ratchet, pump, pump, ratchet, etc.) You use a lot, but it is all recovered by the 418 Oiler bucket.

I'm not sure, but it sounds like you are using dies with 3-4 teeth missing, or did you get new dies? New dies and a good flood of oil, and you should end up with beautiful threads. I'm guessing you are not using enough oil, plus, you are using the wrong type of oil.

Hope that helps,
                          Steve
                          Steve
                          www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

IF YOU ARE NOT DOING THIS FULL TIME LIKE US REAL PLUMBERS,
                            YOU CAN MAKE A POOR MANS OILER BY GETTING ANY KIND OF BUCKET EVEN A 5 GALLON PLASTIC BUCKET, AND A OLD STANDARD OIL SQURT CAN
                            WITH A SECOND PERSON OILLING YOUR PIPE AS YOU WORK,

BUT YOU MUST USE HEAVY OIL, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE WEIGHT OF TAPPING OIL IS, IN A PINCH ON 1/2" OR 3/4" I HAVE EVEN USED MOTOR OIL
                            BUT TO DO IT RIGHT AND ALSO TO PROTECT YOUR DIES YOU MUST USE THREAD CUTTING OIL
                            JERRYMAC
                            E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                            CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                            FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                            SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

I also weld ,Tap Magic is to thin for pipe!
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                              X