X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teflon tape or joint compound?

I'm installing a Delta shower valve using threaded copper adapters to allow connection to existing copper. Considering the heat associated with the soldering, should I use teflon tape or joint compound to seal the adapter/valve joint?

Re: Teflon tape or joint compound?

You cannot install the adapters with any type of sealant and then solder directly to the male adapter with much luck at all. However, if you have to try it you would have better luck with teflon paste. I would pick a valve body that could be soldered in, (I know I will catch a lot of flack for this) or solder the male adapters right into the valve body as well.
    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Most shower valves, I have worked with, allow soldering 1/2 "copper right into the valve. That is the most secure way. Either pipe dope or tape will be negatively affected by the heat.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
        You cannot install the adapters with any type of sealant and then solder directly to the male adapter with much luck at all. However, if you have to try it you would have better luck with teflon paste. I would pick a valve body that could be soldered in, (I know I will catch a lot of flack for this) or solder the male adapters right into the valve body as well.
        Thanks, I now see that this valve does allow sweat connections. I was going by what the guy at Lowe's told me I needed to do....

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
          Most shower valves, I have worked with, allow soldering 1/2 "copper right into the valve. That is the most secure way. Either pipe dope or tape will be negatively affected by the heat.
          Thanks, This valve does allow direct sweat connections. I was going by what the guy at Lowe's said I needed to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffenready View Post
            Thanks, This valve does allow direct sweat connections. I was going by what the guy at Lowe's said I needed to do.
            There is your problem right there. This is really a job for a professional.

Comment

unless you know how to properly controll the heat. it's probable a good idea to remove the valve cartridge from the valve body prior to soldering.

nothing like melting a plastic pressure balance spool.

by the way, it's always a wise idea to solder the mip adapter to a piece of copper, then screw it into the valve when cooled.

sure it can be soldered screwed in with dope and teflon, but if you can prefab, you're always safer

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffenready View Post
                So who are you going to believe, the guy at Lowes or Pros who do it for a living. If it is an IPS valve you need to solder your adapters on to a piece of pipe before you screw them in and you need to pull the parts out of the valve body if you are going to apply heat anywhere close to it.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

use both telflon and pipe dope. cant go wrong i never get leaks!!

Comment

The half inch pipe should fit right into the valve body no need for adapters.

Comment

I'll second that!

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      unless you know how to properly controll the heat. it's probable a good idea to remove the valve cartridge from the valve body prior to soldering.

nothing like melting a plastic pressure balance spool.

by the way, it's always a wise idea to solder the mip adapter to a piece of copper, then screw it into the valve when cooled.

sure it can be soldered screwed in with dope and teflon, but if you can prefab, you're always safer

rick.

Comment

You guys are going to have this poor guy burning down his house. Call in a pro for this one. I'm kinda suprised the guy from Lowe's didn't send him home with two handfuls of CPVC fittings, a small bag of sharkbite fittings, and about 3 or 4 different cans of glue.

Comment

Working...
                        X