X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old timers tricks

One trick I learned was to use bread in a waterline when the water continues to come and you can't solder a connection. The bread breaks down and flushes out easily after the work is finished.

I did find out the wheatberry bread wasn't a good choice. It was the only option once, but those little nuts can clog up a cartridge in a hurry.

I also like adding ice and ajax/comet to a garbage disposal to clean it up. Running a little water as the blades chop up the ice with the cleanser. Cleans up the inside and gets rid of some stink if there's a problem.

Other tricks?

Re: Old timers tricks

i would not even risk ajax down a brass trap diluted or not........ not the smartest idea my friend
    Last edited by plumbworker; 04-20-2009, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Most traps I see on disposal units down here are PVC.

Comment

rolf, if i told you all the tricks, then i wouldn't be the magician.

most trick are learned from using the tools day in and day out.

be careful with the bread. i've had to clean out many ballcocks, washing machines, dishwashers and pressure balance valves when people used bread.

ice doesn't plug up fixtures. that's your trick of the day
        phoebe it is

Comment

Stick a piece of cardboard in your lead ladle as your heating it. If nothing sticks to it, the lead is ready to pour.

Comment

Buy a 12 pack of Old Milwaukee beer at 7:30 in the morning. Begin drinking. Doesn't matter if the beer is cold or not. Bark orders and verbally abuse the helper at every opportunity while you work. Pass out drunk by lunchtime. Wake up by 1:00 to get to the track before the first race. Begin drinking again. Blow your weeks paycheck and the helpers' pocket cash. Blame the Carter administration for all your problems. Finish off the 12 pack while parked in the alley around the corner from the shop. At 4:30, go tell the boss your helper is a lazy punk and that's why nothing got done today but you will try again tommorrow.

That's the tricks my Old Timer taught me
            Last edited by plumberscrack; 04-21-2009, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              Buy a 12 pack of Old Milwaukee beer at 7:30 in the morning. Begin drinking. Doesn't matter if the beer is cold or not. Bark orders and verbally abuse the helper at every opportunity while you work. Pass out drunk by lunchtime. Wake up by 1:00 to get to the track before the first race. Begin drinking again. Blow your weeks paycheck and the helpers' pocket cash. Blame the Carter administration for all your problems. Finish off the 12 pack while parked in the alley around the corner from the shop. At 4:30, go tell the boss your helper is a lazy punk and that's why nothing got done today but you will try again tommorrow.

That's the tricks my Old Timer taught me
              You worked with him too!

Comment

i once bought a 6 pack of jolt cola for the guys as we had a semi truck full of water heaters to unload and hump up the stairs. first floor was 1 level above the ground and 4th. floor was just under the 60' level from the ground that would have required a full time construction elevator.

i understand that mountain dew is similar

not sure if it helped out, but showing the guys that if i can do it they can too.

truthfully a double compartment cast iron sink was worse than a 40 gal gas heater

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Never do today what you can put off forever.

Don't peel an apple with the same pocket knife you cleaned the wax ring off the toilet with.

When the woman customer asks if there's any other way she can pay the bill.........RUN.

There is no such thing as an amicable divorce.

Single women always travel in packs.

Set your sites low and you will never be dissapointed.

The IRS never forgets about anything.
                  sigpic

Comment

The Old Timers taught me that because I'm the designer it's best to assume it's my fault.

Comment

I was always taught to not try to learn the tricks of the trade...

Just learn the trade and the tricks will come.

I know a plumber here in town that calls his helper his DD (designated driver). LOL!

Comment

cutting pvc pipe in the wall with string when you don't have a cable saw.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                          I was always taught to not try to learn the tricks of the trade...

Just learn the trade and the tricks will come.

I know a plumber here in town that calls his helper his DD (designated driver). LOL!
                          so......you like re-inventing the wheel?

I was taught that it's much less painful to learn at someone else's expense.

A sharp guy will figure a lot of things out on his own, but a sharper guy will pick up all the free knowledge he can get. I'm not advocating laziness. I'm just saying there is a wealth of experience out there. NOT tapping into it seems like a crime to me.

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
                            A sharp guy will figure a lot of things out on his own, but a sharper guy will pick up all the free knowledge he can get. I'm not advocating laziness. I'm just saying there is a wealth of experience out there. NOT tapping into it seems like a crime to me.
                            That's why many of us choose to spend some of our free time on The Ridgid Forum.

Comment

And, I believe, the main theme of the thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X