X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathtub drain removal, plan B

When I tried to remove the drain from a 40 year old cast iron tub the crosspiece snapped off. Any thoughts about what I should try next, using common tools, would be appreciated.

Re: Bathtub drain removal, plan B

I'm sure that better suggestions will follow, but I used a dremel to cut the flange to the point that I could just break it out.

Comment

SAWZALL!!! Cut a cross pattern vertically almost to the threads of the tub shoe, then cape it out with a chisel or screwdriver

Comment

They make a easy out for that I find that that will work about 50% of the time. If that dont work I use a mini hacksaw and cut to the treads in 2 spots about a inch apart then pry open with flat head. And some times if you have a bigger pair of channel locks if u put it in the drain when its closed it will grip the side walls enougn to get a good turn it depends on how old it is and how hard it is to turn.
        You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Comment

Just so happens ridgid makes a tool to help you out.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Internal...h/EN/index.htm

Not as affordable as a sawblade but works well & less chance of damageing the tub (if that matters)

Comment

Thanks to both responders, I used the Dremel to cut a pie shaped wedge out of the flange and the sawzall to split the threaded section and it came right out.

Comment

Working...
            X