X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Last Joint

I installed a new shower valve as part of my bathroom remodel last night. It involved cutting out the existing copper pipes to remove the existing valve, soldering nipples to the threaded male adaptors, screwing the threaded ends into the new vave body, and coupling the other ends of the nipples to the existing pipe. For some reason I came up short on the last joint and only inserted 1/4" for the soldered connection. It was 11:00 and I wanted to be done and get the water on! Now I am having slackers remorse. Will this joint fail? Is there anything I can do retroactively to strengthen the joint? Any advice would help. Thanks!

Re: The Last Joint

I would cut it out and do it right, there is a reason that the solder cup is the depth it is and based on that premise alone i wouldnt want to close up a wall with a joint that isnt done right

Comment

This is your house right?.... Be fine
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys. I was afraid you were going to say that. As you would guess it is the hardest to cut out joint, nicely nestled around a stud and a drain vent and featuring back to back elbows (I am obviously an amateur). I save it for the weekend.

Comment

Engineer?

Comment

is it on the tub spout or shower head?

Comment

there is 1 way to doctor it, but i think it's more hassle than removing and replacing.

you could silver solder/ braze that joint.

the problem the heat required/ cherry red, will melt out your other soldered nearby joints. not to mention your plastic and wood.

then again there have been plenty of joints over the years that i've cut out and repaired that were not inserted or soldered 100%.

of course these are the ones i've repaired. how many are out there that have never leaked?

do you feel lucky

make my day

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
                is it on the tub spout or shower head?
                Its on the cold water line. See picture. The front elbow to the horizontal pipe in front of ABS drain vent was the last joint. Its going to be difficult for my skill level. I would make a cut just left of the valve and just left of the elbow, remake the elbows, nipples and coupling each end.

Problems are:
                1. I dont want to toast the teflon and dope out of the threaded joint in the valve,
                2. Dont want to set fire to the stud

I was really hoping there was some kind of sleeve or epoxy or something I could apply to the outside.

The last joint should have been the first joint but my brain was soft!

Thanks guys!
                Attached Files

Comment

well aside from your pipe sweating problem i see another bigger problem here. the seal for the coverplate for your valve should be making contact up agains the inside of the shower wall so it compresses against it to not allow water to get behind it and into the wall. From what i see here the hole is so big that the seel is inside the hole. I'm afraid your going to get some water leaking in the wall like this if this is not fixed.

Comment

Coming from another DIYer, things like this happen. You've haven't done this before; so you don't know to think ahead. Just use some of your engineering problem solving skills; taking this apart should not be that hard. You can use a close quarter tubing cutter near the spout, after the ABS, and get the center of the thing out. It should be easy to unscrew the stub from the handle, and unsolder the remaining elbow/scrap of pipe.

Then just buy some new materials and do it over again. Don't try to salvage something you know isn't as good as you can do when it isn't hard or expensive to just try again.

Comment

the cold line is under constant pressure so it will be worth the time and effort to use a longer piece of copper. Just cut off the pipe unscrew the adapter. Unsweat the adapter from the pipe. Solder in the longer piece and use a slip/ no stop coupling on the other end.

Don't sweat the adapter while it is in the valve. Do it first screw it bck in nd sweat the coupling last. Wrap a wet cloth around the adapter to keep it cool while you do the last connection.
                      Last edited by EasyEman; 04-23-2009, 06:51 PM.

Comment

ya but Caulk on fixtures and hardware looks ugly to me but i suppose with no other choice theres not much to be done about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur96 View Post
                          ya but Caulk on fixtures and hardware looks ugly to me but i suppose with no other choice theres not much to be done about it.
                          If it is done right the caulk line is not very noticeable if it is seen at all.

Comment

Wait up now, Think I have the answer.

Mighty Putty
                            Attached Files
                            sigpic

Comment

LoL

Comment

Working...
                              X