X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Water Heater Recommendation

I need a new natural gas water heater. Any advice from the experts on what brand or model is best? I'm looking for a 40-50 gallon tank, no special needs about the tank dimensions.... there's plenty of space incl. vertical height in the garage.

Lowes & HD have Whirlpool and GE among lesser known (to me at least) brands. The local hardware store has AO Smith. But if there's another brand that's better/more efficient/more reliable, I could probably find it here somewhere.

Is pilotless the way to go? Any other features I should be sure to get?

Thanks in advance!

-Andy

Re: Need Water Heater Recommendation

I like Rheem!

Or go with a Kenmore from Sears. They'll back it!

Comment

First of all Sears will not back a water heater without sending out a service technician first. Went on one call last week. The tank was only 5 years old with a 9 year warranty. Wheeled it right into Sears on my two-wheel dolly, wheeling it right through entire store almost, leaving a nice long trail of rust water. Only to find out that I had to take it back to the house, reinstall it, wait 2-3 days for a service technician to come determine that the tank was indeed leaking, pay the $90 service call, then have one of their qualified installers put the new tank in. STAY AWAY FROM SEARS!!! Long story, short go with either a Rheem or a Bradford White.
      Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
        I like Rheem!

Or go with a Kenmore from Sears. They'll back it!
        I may be wrong but dosnt GE make them for sears?

Comment

Rheem for tank type. I may get bashed for this, but if your interested in a tankless go with Rinnai.

Comment

I had a 2yr old GE that developed a leak. Called GE, told them what happened, and they said to take it to HD and swap it for a new one. No need for a service call.

Comment

Rheem or bradford-white

Comment

Bradford White.

Comment

Bradford white.

Comment

1. Rudd/Rheem 2. State. 3. Bradford
                    Last edited by PlumbingParamedics; 04-25-2009, 01:52 AM.
                    You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                      First of all Sears will not back a water heater without sending out a service technician first. Went on one call last week. The tank was only 5 years old with a 9 year warranty. Wheeled it right into Sears on my two-wheel dolly, wheeling it right through entire store almost, leaving a nice long trail of rust water. Only to find out that I had to take it back to the house, reinstall it, wait 2-3 days for a service technician to come determine that the tank was indeed leaking, pay the $90 service call, then have one of their qualified installers put the new tank in. STAY AWAY FROM SEARS!!! Long story, short go with either a Rheem or a Bradford White.
                      I was wondering why they put the sticker on the water heaters that says "do not return this water heater to the store"!

Yeah they'll back it but you have to follow the procedure you don't take water heater back to the store. They'll have no idea what to do for you. You call Sears water heater line. If the heater was installed by the home owner then there can be warranty issues.
                      Last edited by EasyEman; 04-25-2009, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur96 View Post
                        I may be wrong but dosnt GE make them for sears?

AO Smith makes Kenmore.

Looks like the consensus is Rheem!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
                          I need a new natural gas water heater. Any advice from the experts on what brand or model is best? I'm looking for a 40-50 gallon tank, no special needs about the tank dimensions.... there's plenty of space incl. vertical height in the garage.

Lowes & HD have Whirlpool and GE among lesser known (to me at least) brands. The local hardware store has AO Smith. But if there's another brand that's better/more efficient/more reliable, I could probably find it here somewhere.

Is pilotless the way to go? Any other features I should be sure to get?

Thanks in advance!

-Andy

I highly recommend the Rheem tankless Andy, out of the hundreds we have installed we have never had a request for warranty service on any of our installations, albiet more pricey, they are the wave of the future.

Rheem Manufacturing produces GE water Heaters, they are basically the same heater as a rheem. I strongly will try to steer you clear of A.O. Smith, they have had lots of control valve recalls, improper lo-nox ignition issues, and are just the most disliked heater.

I/We are the service tech company for all major manufacturers here on the west coast, we do several water heater calls daily, they are the most reliable and easiest to service

Comment

You guy are the greatest! Where else could anyone possibly find this level of detailed information???

THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU.

-Andy

Comment

bradford white hands down. Stay away from Lowes & Sears water heaters...too many problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X