1/2" x 2-3/4" red brass npt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1/2" x 2-3/4" red brass npt

i wonder if the shower kit is from China?

Vince

Comment

I have the same problem also with a kohler shower fixture...cannot believe it! I do not have vast plumbing experience but my father has been installing plumbing for solar heating for almost 40 years and he is amazed Kohler would make something so exact!.
      By chance is your fixture this part number: K-18494 Symbol™ multifunction showerhead with arm and flange? My father is going to try the MIP adapter.....thanks for the idea.

Comment

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal...e=0--331009436

This shower head comes with a 1/2 brass street 45. the front edge of the 45 has to be exactly 1 1/8 inch from the finished wall to make the shower head fit properly. We spent entirely too much time this week working on finishing the shower this went into. Thought it's a gorgeous DTV shower. I'll get the few picuters I took of it up in the next day or so.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Just noticed this....

I would solder up the nipple to make it work. It's way quicker than a trip to the hardware store. Use pipe dope, don't over-tighten, and it will work fine.

But if you're bound and determined to have a brass nipple, why not just buy a die, turn your 3" hardware store nipple into it with an internal pipe wrench for 3 or so turns (it's brass... threads cut easy), and then shorten the nipple to length with a grinder?

But soldering one up makes a lot more sense.

Comment

I have to agree, next time I deal with one of these i'll just solder two mip adapters together, all in all, the shower was a royal pain to complete, but part of that was the shoddy tile work.
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

zoof. take the nipple to a weld shop. they can cut out what you don't need and braze it all back together. good to go. here you are and there you go. breid

Comment

[QUOTE=MoJourneyman;237899]http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal...e=0--331009436

This shower head comes with a 1/2 brass street 45. the front edge of the 45 has to be exactly 1 1/8 inch from the finished wall to make the shower head fit properly.

Their bodysprays are just as exacting. Obviously designed (but not installed) by an engineer.
                http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal...ubcategory=122

I've got to admit that I've more than once overtightened a trim piece trying to lose an 1/8". Can't believe I haven't cracked a brass wing ell (yet). What really frosts my ba*%s is when the trim piece is tight to the wall but it's sitting 180°s out of plumb. With some flat asymmetrical pieces that last half turn can leave quite a mark on the surface. I call these marks "plumber's tears".

Truth be known, more than once I've used a chuck to cut nipples to 1/4" and even 1/8" measurements.
                Last edited by Plumbus; 06-30-2009, 04:03 PM.

Comment

>> "Obviously designed (but not installed) by anengineer."

Hey, I resemble that remark!!

Seriously, any numbskull can design a gizmo, it's just not that hard. To engineer the product, though, means that it works, is reliable, is cost-effective, installs well, is serviceable, and anticipates reasonable installation, useage and environmental conditions. That can sometimes be very hard to accomplish, but it's the difference between something that's designed v. something that's engineered. A real engineer (degree or no) gets this. I don't see much excuse for many of the product designs out there, other than they have been "designed" rather than "engineered".

Kohler - who likes to think of themselves as high-end - should do better. Good thing these guys aren't designing airplanes or bridges.

Comment

The truth is the more "high-end" a fixture is the less amount of play you have with the installation. If you install a Mixet valve you could just throw it in an not worry about it. However, with the really nice stuff I use to leave a piece of plywood on the wall with a giant note to the tile guy saying "Finish tile "XX" from rough framing". If the tile guy screwed up he paid to make it right.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I just installed a Rohl bathroom lavatory wall mount faucet. It allows 3/4 play on the center spacing via eccentric nipples and about an inch in/out of the wall, using escutcheons that have an internal o-ring that slides on the eccentric nipple. Couldn't really be easier or more forgiving. The shower uses a Porcher shower mixer and diverter. Both allow 1-1/4 of in/out tolerance to the finished wall. Not as high-end as Rohl, but not chopped liver, either. The same shower uses a Rohl wall mount spout for the handshower hose. $45, and it includes the o-ring sliding escutcheon to ease the rough-in.

These manufacturers seem to have thought about the problem a bit. Kind of frosts me that other's (like Kohler) don't. Of course I always check the rough-in specs before I buy a fixture....

I can see that leaving it up to the tile guy is maybe one of only a few options. But wouldn't he have a heck of a time floating the wall to within 1/8 or even 1/4 of an inch? Especially if the walls aren't plumb and he has to fix it in the mud. Maybe ok with a backerboard installation, but I can't believe that the tile guy would be real happy.

Comment

If the tile guy is a real old school tile guy, and not a dumb kid with backer board it just is not an issue. I would generally ask him what he needed for depth and I would rough my valve to that. The majority of the Kohler stuff has play in setting the trim. However, the shower tiles are a specialty fixture which looks better when it is set properly. Fixed body sprays are similar regardless of who manufactures them.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

well a fella that had been lurking on here pm'ed me and wanted the brass nipples, sent them all the way to Santa Paula, CA.

Funny how things work out, not sure what he was going to use them for.

G3

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
                            well a fella that had been lurking on here pm'ed me and wanted the brass nipples, sent them all the way to Santa Paula, CA.

Funny how things work out, not sure what he was going to use them for.

G3
                            Santa Paula!
                            Why didn't you call me?
                            Ben or I Coulda' been there installed and back home on the forum in an hour.

HELLO SANTA PAULA

Comment

Working...
                            X