X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/2" x 2-3/4" red brass npt

Nipple required for shower needs to be 2-3/4" long for proper attachment of hand held shower elbow. I know I can make a nipple from solderin up some copper pipe but I would prefer to thread a nipple to the correct length. I have no treading tools and the hardware stores and a few plumbers I have called said impossible to make. They said the plumber should have set the depth of the shower elbow correctly. To late for that. Any way to make nipples to lengths less than 3"? What tools do I need to buy or is there a place to buy odd length nipples in red brass?
    Thanks in advance
    Zooferman

Re: 1/2" x 2-3/4" red brass npt

as jim mentioned it's not impossible to make.

the question is is it really necessary.

i would say no

there is no way the plumber could have set the shower drop ear 90 at an exact precision depth to match an undetermined tile float and tile finish.

that's why trim usually has a tolerance of 3/4'' + or -.

not seeing your specifics, i can tell you in the 10,000 plus tub and shower trims i've done, a 1/4'' nipple adjustment was not necessary.

sure it's nice and easy to have the exact make up length, it was never necessary to cut a custom thread for trim that fell between the 1/2'' measurements.

honestly if it's that critical, then just solder up your adapters.

i use to stub out with copper on spouts to cut them off at the exact length for spouts. this was faster and less cumbersome than brass nipples. but keep in mind, i was doing 100's of tubs at a time. this was my way of production. and yes the copper was a male adapter on the other side too. so it could be replaced if needed or damaged in construction

try applying more or less teflon tape/ pipe dope to the longer or shorter brass nipple. use a smooth jaw wrench on the trim to make it up. also keep in mind the shower arm is not under full or constant pressure.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

If your plumber can't figure out how to set trim +/- a 1/4" you need to hire a new plumber. That is pretty basic stuff.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

A large plumbing supply probably has a nipple jig in house and would make one up for you.

Each end of the nipple is screwed into something...the fitting on one end, and the spout on the other. Each end, if you are careful, has probably one full turn tolerance between "leak" and " can't go any further". This usually gives you what you need.

Comment

Gentleman
          If I had +- 1/4 I would not be on this forum asking for help. Kohler shower elbow gives me about 1/8" max adjustability with trim. So I need to cut the nipple.
          thanks for everyones help.
          Zooferman

Comment

Big Jim
            I tried threading with a coupling but the Pipe threading machine over tighted the threads and damaged them. what is the secret multiple passes with die threader
            Zooferman

Comment

not sure what kind of nipple chuck you are using..........store bought or home made, sounds like a home made one using a thread protector and short piece of pipe.

If you are using the home made type the short piece of pipe will need to have extra long and a little deep thread on it. The threaded end of the pipe will need to be able to screw into the thread protector until it almost comes out the other end. Do not ream the threaded end, it will need to jam against the end of the short nipple you are threading.
              Thread one end of the brass pipe and then cut it to length.
              With your nipple chuck, screw the pipe into it so that three or so threads are left in the end of the thread protector.
              Screw the brass nipple into the thread protector, the pipe and the nipple must jam against each other to work properly.
              Thread the other end of the brass nipple.
              Now with two wrenches, place one of them on the thread protector and the other on the pipe and loosen up the thread protector, the brass nipple should unscrew by hand or with little force.

I am basing this off of using a universal type die head as used on a 300 or 535 machine, you will not be able to use drop head dies to do this.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

G3

Comment

just a thought, you need 1 nipple threaded 2.75'' long. you spent 1 week researching it and trying to thread it. all the pros have told you it's not necessary. yet you don't want to solder up a copper mip and get your shower working

is this a test or for real

if you really need to make that nipple, i know i can make it with my nipple chuck. i also know in 33 years of plumbing. that i've never needed to cut a 1/2'' nipple + or - 1/4'' for a shower trim.

please post a photo of the trim with the longer and shorter nipple installed so we know you're for real.

and yes i can make you one if you really want to go that route.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

this thread is hilarious.
                  obviously you can't tighten down the 3" nipple for lack of proper tool,arm strength or technique
                  or you are tightening a 2-1/2" too much,taper does not always have to be crushed.

We as individual experienced plumbers have been where you are at hundreds of times.

Seems like over half the F.I.P. tub spouts we set are in the middle of two sizes.

Yeah,
                  The plumber screwed up.I don't like hearing someone telling others that a person is at fault when they have no *ing clue.

Comment

I went out to the shop and I just happen to have several pieces of used 1/2" red brass pipe.

I see you live in cleveland but what state. If you will pay the postage I will make you one and ship it to you via the USPS in one of their flat rate boxes.

Post a pic of what you are doing like was stated above and I will send it, if you will pm me your address.

G3

Comment

Loosen the screws on the drop eared 90 put a 1/4" toilet shim behind it tighten the screws use a 2 1/2" nipple.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
                        Loosen the screws on the drop eared 90 put a 1/4" toilet shim behind it tighten the screws use a 2 1/2" nipple.
                        I think he's already tiled in

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                          I think he's already tiled in

Yeah some times there is a big enough hole to work in. Most tile guys I know cut little square rather than trying to fit the pipe knowing there will be an escutcheon.

Comment

Well looky here, are you interested zooferman??

2 1/2", 2 3/4" and 3"...........1/2", sch. 40, red brass, used pipe.

Surely one of these will work for you.

Pay postage and pm me your address.

Don't get no better

G3
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
                              Well looky here, are you interested zooferman??

2 1/2", 2 3/4" and 3"...........1/2", sch. 40, red brass, used pipe.

Surely one of these will work for you.

Pay postage and pm me your address.

Don't get no better

G3
                              Another act of forum kindness rarely seen outside this fishbowl.
                              Thanks G3

Comment

Working...
                              X