X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 21 years of gunk

my condo is piped with ABS. when i removed the bathroom sink and chopped off the p-trap i found that the inside diameter of the 1 1/2" pipe going into the wall, was shrinking due to a build up of gunk. it looks like a concoction of hair, toothpaste, dirt, soap, and who knows what else. now that the inside of the pipe has been exposed to air, it's all dried out and flaking off. i was only able to vacuun about 3" into the pipe, then it goes 90 degrees left. so my questions are, is there any way to completely flush out the system, a plumbing hycolonic, and did i create a bigger problem by exposing the system to air?

Re: 21 years of gunk

thanks jim. is there any sort of bit i should be using? i've seen all kinds from the normal coil spring to ones that look like spades.

Comment

the nice thing about plastic pipe is that it will clean up to practically brand new.

jetting is the best way to make it spotless.

but like jim said. a good snaking with water will do a good enough job.

you would have better results reconnecting the trap and snaking it while there is water in the system and water running while snaking.

keep in mind that the lav sink pipe is a common line at some point. once it opens up from a 1.5'' line to 2'' then to 3'' you're not going to get good results with a snake. a jetter is the best for preventative cleaning.

fortunately, a lav sink and shower and tub are always the fixtures with soap, hair buildup.

snaking with flushing water will get you by fine.

jetting will get you like new.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

thanks rick. what exactly is "jetting" and what tools are required?

Comment

jetting is basically the same as power washing your car. but done inside of the pipe with special hoses and nozzles.

this is not a do it yourself thing inside of the building.

it's the best and possibly the messiest way of cleaning your pipe if you don't have real hands on experience.

jetting can be very messy and very dangerous. pros have been there and know the precautions.

don't attempt renting and jetting your indoor line yourself. you'll be on the carpet cleaning forum next and possibly the medical forum

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

then snaking it is. thank you both.

Comment

is dumping boiling water and/or vinegar and baking soda down the drain ok to do? i read that on another forum.

Comment

Originally posted by john050378 View Post
                is dumping boiling water and/or vinegar and baking soda down the drain ok to do? i read that on another forum.
                too late at this point if it's already stopped up. try that on a slow drain, not a plugged drain.

i prefer bleach over the vinegar and baking soda

please follow up when you succeed and pictures score you extra points

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

oh it wasn't clogged. the water flows quite freely. i'm just remodeling and being over overzealous about everything so i can prevent future problems. this forum thing is pretty cool.

Comment

I would hire a pro if you wanted it jetted, but not this pro.

Are you guys out there really jetting lavatory arms in peoples homes?

It may clean 100% but what a mess!

A cable with proper attachment or kinked tip will scrape 95% of the debris off the walls of ABS pipe from the removed ptrap to next largest pipe followed by flushing with water, which is enough to last you many years, if not decades. This method is not nearly as messy as using a jet inside.

I only use my jet when the cables don't work, which is rare.

The only time I've ever used a jet inside on residential was one time when a downstairs apartment was already flooded with sewer, building surrounded by concrete no clean out, no vent access, and cables wouldn't work. Sign here please . I have and would jet inside commercial kitchens.

Even the small electric jetters put out a lot of water.

I can picture how it would be done but hardly seems worth it for the extra 5-10% (estimated) cleaning.

I'm not trying to start a debate, just seems odd to me.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Originally posted by john050378 View Post
                      oh it wasn't clogged. the water flows quite freely. i'm just remodeling and being over overzealous about everything so i can prevent future problems. this forum thing is pretty cool.
                      Get one of those power drill spin thingies and let it whomp around in the pipe for a bit. It will knock off the built up gunk. Then flush it with water.

At least that's what I did with a slow pipe in my basement a couple years ago when it started slowing down and clogging. Things are still flowing good but your experience may vary. And when in doubt, call in a pro.
                      I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

funny you should mention that. i just walked in the door with one. got it at home depot. thanks for the support.

Comment

Working...
                        X