X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replaced Cartridge in Bathroom, now getting low water pressure

I replaced the valve stem cartridge in my Pfister bathroom faucet, now the water runs super slow from there. Any ideas? I even tried a second cartridge thinking that was the problem, still slow.

Re: Replaced Cartridge in Bathroom, now getting low water pressure

I'm guessing when you turned off the water supply to replace the cartridge some debris found its way into the faucet aerator. Try to clean and get back with us.
    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
      I'm guessing when you turned off the water supply to replace the cartridge some debris found its way into the faucet aerator. Try to clean and get back with us.
      Thanks for the reply.

Whats the best way to clean inside there?

Comment

If you have a strap wrench you can use it to remove the aerator without marring it.

If not you can get by with some adjustable pliers and a rag if you're careful. Some might even have some flat surfaces for a crescent wrench.

Once the aerator is off you can pull the pieces out and separate them to rinse out any debris. Just make sure you note how it came apart and put it back exactly the same.

Make sure you don't lose the rubber washer. It may stick in the faucet, but keep an eye out in case it falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim
          O.K., people. A word of advice for all you DIY wannebe's.
          MORE INFO! HELP US HELP YOU!
          One would assume the problem is the lav faucet. Is that the case?
          Or is it the tub? If so, is it tub & shower or shower only?
          Did you have the problem before you replaced the cartridge?
          Since you're seeking free advice, please don't waste our time.
          I agree.........but I do grin a little at someone on a message board not wanting their time wasted

Comment

O.K., people. A word of advice for all you DIY wannebe's.
            MORE INFO! HELP US HELP YOU!
            One would assume the problem is the lav faucet. Is that the case?
            Or is it the tub? If so, is it tub & shower or shower only?
            Did you have the problem before you replaced the cartridge?
            Since you're seeking free advice, please don't waste our time.
            Sorry Jim I don't mean to waste anyones time.

It is a lav faucet. Price Pfister Bristol model #048CT0K, I removed and replaced a 910-024 Hot water stem with same. I looked to get a 910-900 brass version but couldn't find 1 locally.

The low water pressure is only with the hot water side, cold has the proper flow. Pressure was fine before, but it had a slow leak that was getting less slow.

Comment

No prob, dvd.
              You may need to flush out faucet body with cartridge removed.
              Or it could be supply line or valve is gunked up.
              Ultimately, I would get rid of the P.P. junk.
              Any suggestions for flushing out the body most effectively?

I never knew until I asked some questions on here that PP had such a bad reputation. I thought being a part of the Black & Decker group would ensure quality product, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

The faucet was only a bit older then 2 years when the slow drip started.

And what a ***** it was finding the stem. Took 2 days and visiting close to 8 different plumbing supply stores.

Whats with not knowing a product by part number? I tried calling these places with the part number I was looking for and most of them just said to bring it in for them to see it? Are they not standard part numbers? I got them from the PP web site parts diagram.

Comment

i know, i know

this is a widespread faucet.

crawl underneath the faucet and look at the hot water hose that connects between the spout and the hot stem. when you removed and re installed the new stem, you turned the valve body just enough to pinch the hose off at the spout or the valve body

see, told you i know

p.s. very common problem when it only affects one side

910-900 is a better ceramic stem. plus it can be reversed for lever handles

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  i know, i know

this is a widespread faucet.

crawl underneath the faucet and look at the hot water hose that connects between the spout and the hot stem. when you removed and re installed the new stem, you turned the valve body just enough to pinch the hose off at the spout or the valve body

see, told you i know

p.s. very common problem when it only affects one side

910-900 is a better ceramic stem. plus it can be reversed for lever handles

rick.

Thanks Rick,

Actually this is a 4" Centerset faucet. I tried to find the 910-900 stems but wasn't able to locate them anywhere locally at all. It was tough enough finding the 910-024.

My first thought was a problem with the supply line. I thought the floodsafe device had closed so I disconnected the line and reconnected, same problem.

I just now flushed the faucet but it still is slow. And I have water all over.

I might just get a more reliable faucet and replace it rather then keep working on this one forever. Big disappointment since it is a nice looking faucet.

Comment

i was wrong

first off, i would toss those flood safe connectors. junk and don't work.

install a normal connector and flush into a bucket. check for full flow.

if you have full flow, then it's in the faucet. pretty simple to look down through the shank of the faucet with no stem and see day light.

with the connector connected to the hot shank and other end in a bucket. try back flushing into a bucket by turning on the cold and opening the hot stem. either hold your hand tight to the aereator or install a dime under the aereator washer to seal it off.

there is a good chance it's a faulty flood safe connector. junk.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

I guess I'll go ahead and replace the Floodsafe connectors, though in my experiance with them they either shut off totally or allow flow, not shut halfway. But you never know I guess.

Comment

it's easy enough to test by doing the back flush if you remove the hot feed line and put a bucket under the faucet shank.

rick.

i tested those flood safes and it didn't work from the get go. i imagine down the road they will plug up with minerals.

plus they work on excess flow. a small leak under 3 gpm will typically not even trigger them.

a good idea, poor execution.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                        X