Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lav rough in

Hello,
    I'm putting in a new bathroom in the lower level of my home. The original bathroom used a step up floor over concrete and was a huge mess so I'm putting the drains under the concrete. Everything has been going great so far except for one possible problem. I was at the end of my job on the main drain and I installed the 3x3x2 wye to take in the lav. drain and I was worried about making the connection low enough that the concrete (when I pour concrete) would be over the connection instead of solid pipe. Now that puts my rough in for my lav. at 23” instead of 18” off the unfinished concrete floor >. I could fix this since I have not poured the new concrete in but if this would work I’ll leave it.
    Thanks for the insight!
    Last edited by willy1094; 05-04-2009, 04:06 AM.

Re: Lav rough in

I have one more question. My washer will be up stream from the lav. I was going to use a revent back over to the lav vent. However, I don't think I really need to do this. The lav drain is only 5' 4" from the washer stand pipe. Could/should I just wet vent (if you really want to call it that since it's only a matter of 5" max of wet vent) the washer and save the trouble of running a revent?
    Thanks again

Comment

Thanks...I guess I just take a look at the vanity we have picked out and see what we have. What do you think on the vent for the washing machine?
      Thanks again!!

Comment

Vent it!

there is no good reason not to and it is code in most places. Wet venting is allowed but not preferred.

Put a clean out in too!
        Last edited by EasyEman; 05-05-2009, 09:31 AM.

Comment

My neighbor just came over crying last week..he roughed in his at 21".Was waaay too high.If your low you only lose a bit a real estate under the lav.Extension tail pieces are cheap.

Comment

Ok, so I'll have to lower the drain line. Is it ok to have a pvc connection surrounded by concrete?

Comment

Originally posted by willy1094 View Post
              Ok, so I'll have to lower the drain line. Is it ok to have a pvc connection surrounded by concrete?
              Wrap it to allow for expansion and contraction.4 mill Foam,etc.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                Wrap it to allow for expansion and contraction.4 mill Foam,etc.
                Or you can tape about 40 PEX risers around it.

J.C.

Comment

I know this is going to be a stupid question. Is the wrap something they sell for this or just use any foam? I ask because I've never seen it, but then again I'm only looking at home depot and lowe's. I also could have just looked over it. I could also switch from a 3x3x2 wye to a 3x3x2 tee and gain a few inches.
                  Her is a drawing to help explain what I mean. Also, now that I have the drawing up, this shows what I meant by they wet vent question. I know that I need the vent the drain. I just wondered, since it was so close, if I shouldn't just use the vent from the lav to vent the washer. It's all 2" pvc. I only ask again just in case I made it sound like I was trying to do something other than what is in the drawing. I can revent it about 12" upstream (to the right in the drawing) if that is better. Thanks again for all the input!!

Comment

I found one suggestion of sill gasket. Found some online made by owens corning. Would this be good for this application? Also I've read suggestions of placing the next larger pipe around any pipe comming out of concrete and then removing it when cured. The suggestion is to allow for minor movement if needed and of course to keep the concrete off the pipe. I would probably want to spray in expanding foam to keep ground moisture from comming up through the space.

Comment

that foam isn't a moisture or pest barrier, we wrap the pipes in thick plastic, .4 mil I think, then pour the concrete right up to them.
                      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

The idea is to give the fitting some room to expand and contract.

Comment

Thanks again everyone, I think I'm set. I'll be getting everything fixed up the next couple days.

Comment

Working...
                          X