Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning my Rinnai R75LSi Tankless Water Heater

Materials needed:

1 utility pump
    3 hoses (my utility pump came with 1 hose, I then used 2 washer hoses)
    2 buckets
    2 gallons (+/-) white vinegar

One hose went from the hot out of the water heater to the bucket.
    One hose went from the bucket to the in of the pump.
    One hose went from the pump to the cold in of the water heater.

The flow went from the bucket to the pump to the water heater to the bucket.

The utility pump I had was self priming so I turned it on and away it went.

I ran the pump with the vinegar for about 45 minutes.

To drain it, I took the second bucket and the hose from the heater to the first bucket and put it in the second bucket. I then drained the first bucket into the second bucket that way until there was about a third left in the first bucket. I then put the hose back in the first bucket. I dumped the second bucket and filled it with water. I dumped the water from the second bucket into the first bucket. The first bucket would now have a mix of water and vinegar. I repeated that process about 5 or 6 times. Finally, I let just the water run for about 15 minutes and turned the pump off.

Here are the before pictures:

The setup.
    - just a little picture showing the hoses, pump and bucket.
    Glass with vinegar before.
    - notice how clear the glass looks.
    Bucket with vinegar before.
    - notice how you can see the hoses clearly.
    Cold in to the water heater before.
    - notice how the inside looks black.

A post will only allow so many pictures ... keep going down to see the after pictures ...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by theoak; 05-05-2009, 04:05 PM.

Re: Cleaning my Rinnai R75LSi Tankless Water Heater

Pictures After:

Vinegar After
    - note how cloudy the vinegar looks.
    Bucket After
    - note how you can not see the hoses near as well.
    Cold In After
    - note how the black is pretty much gone and you see the copper color.

Keep going in the next post in this thread for some brief closing comments ...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by theoak; 05-05-2009, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Some closing comments:

As you can see from the before and after pictures, some cleaning to my tankless definitely occurred.

Unfortunately I have no gauge as to how "dirty" my tankless was. Would I have gotten the same results after a week of use, a month, 6 months, 2 years? I do not know.

Did I notice an increase in hot water output after? No.

Did I notice the tankless heating the water faster after? No.

Again, I cleaned my tankless for curiosity. Not because I was noticing a decrease in performance from my Rinnai tankless water heater. I was impressed on how the black seemed to get removed.

Also, I ended up using about 1.5 to 2 gallons of white vinegar. Your mileage may vary depending on the length of your hoses and the size of your buckets.

I make this post just to illustrate how I did it, how easy it was, so others could see the results, and because I felt those present in this forum would find the post interesting.

Enjoy (hopefully) ...

Comment

Looks like you have some pretty clean water. Thanks for the update.

J.C.

Comment

Great pics!

One of the arguements for not buying into a tankless is the maintenance procedure to clean it. As everyone can see it's not bad at all

How long did the whole procedure take?

How long has the Rinnai been installed?

Keep us updated....I'm watching

Comment

Rinnai reccomends flushing once a year regardless of water quality. They also reccomend 3 gallons of vinegar circulating for 45 min. A qualified installer or ASP should know these simple facts.

Comment

I think part of the reason for regular cleaning is to prevent the loss in water quality, and the loss of heating ability. in theory if you clean it annually you won't notice a difference.

it's kind of like changing the oil in your car before the motor locks up.
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbertim1975 View Post
                Rinnai reccomends flushing once a year regardless of water quality. They also reccomend 3 gallons of vinegar circulating for 45 min. A qualified installer or ASP should know these simple facts.
                Actually the manual I read says 4 gallons. Somehow I missed that. Next year.

Total time was maybe 10 minutes for setup, 45 minutes for cleaning, 15 minutes for rinsing, 10 minutes for cleanup. So, maybe an hour and a half tops.

I had my Rinnai installed at the end of July 2008, so that would put it at about 9 months.

Edit:

While it's cleaning it is not like you have to sit there and babysit it. If memory serves, I fed the kids lunch and put them down for their naps while it was cleaning.
                Last edited by theoak; 05-06-2009, 09:25 AM.

Comment

I read an article on tankless that said that the savings on one of these is around $80.00 a year and total cost installed is usually around $2300.00. Now if I installed a standard water heater for lets say product cost would be around $300.00 - $450.00 plus time so lets say I am paying some one $ $750.00 - $800.00 to install the tank system in my house. If I am paying $1500.00 more installed on the tankless then why would I do that, it would take me 18 years to recover the cost of the tankless. So some one set me strait on the tankless and give me some facts so I can understand some of the bennefits other than cost.

Comment

Dan,

You are opening up a can of worms here

The three basic arguments for a tankless are:

1. You never run out of hot water. I have a large family, 5 kids, 2 adults. Prior, I had a 50 gallon hot water tank based heater that could not keep up; by the 3rd to 4th shower, we were out.

2. The tankless folks "claim" that you will go through 2 to 3 tanks before a tankless will need to be replaced. You will need to go to the tankless manufacturers for their research on this.

3. Monthly savings in no standby use that a tank would require.

So, if you believe point 2, and you are looking at it from just a money point of view, over the life time of the tankless, you will make your money back. Now, if you throw in point 3, you may end up even after the first replacement tank and from that point forward you will be ahead.

Comment

dan join the crowd.

this has been discussed heavily for the last couple years.

i can write a book about it. actually i sort of have on the forum

there is no payback on a tankless. in fact it will cost you annually to flush a tankless. can't even get homeowners to connect a hose to their tank heaters to flush for 1 minute and then people expect that they will flush a tankless half the tankless installs i see have no flushing valves installed.

so now that my tankless install at my house is 4 months old. i have seen a drop on my gas bill $5.00 a month i can attribute this to the lack of a standing pilot light. my 20 year old 40 gal. is turned off now.

haven't checked my water usage as it varies based on the sprinkler use. but i know joey and i wait longer for hot water. i even have to keep the water running while the laundry is filling as the machine is a hi efficiency and fills with short cycle burst. tankless doesn't stay running with short burst.

so what i already knew for years, i just spent $1000. to prove it to everyone. i personally have not sold 1 tankless to any of my customers. i have talked to everyone of them that have asked and they all sticked with a tank.

the only thing green about tankless is all the green being spent on them and in the future to clean and maintain them. others will disagree, but the majority of the pros on this forum are with me 100%

time will tell as tankless is still relatively new. wait til they start failing sooner than later. along with the fact 75% of the tankless i come across are not properly installed.

rick.

ps. see you in 2 weeks
                      Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 05-06-2009, 11:22 AM.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Boy ... that did not take long

Dan, so there you have it in a nutshell, the 2 sides of the fence.

My intent is not to continue this debate. The purpose of this thread was to show the cleaning. There are plenty of other posts with regards to this debate ... search the forum if want to see more

Comment

Originally posted by theoak View Post
                          Boy ... that did not take long

Dan, so there you have it in a nutshell, the 2 sides of the fence.

My intent is not to continue this debate. The purpose of this thread was to show the cleaning. There are plenty of other posts with regards to this debate ... search the forum if want to see more
                          I should have looked for the threads and I will. It is good to hear my research has been confirmed though.

Comment

TANKLESS IS SUCH A JOKE--THE COST OF CLEANING IT AND THE SANDWICH EFFECT---I RODE THAT HORSE FOR AWHILE AND PI$$ED OFF LOTS OF CLIENTS WITH THE HIDDEN PROBLEMS---I WENT A BETTER ROUTE------

THE A.O SMITH VERTEX TANK----90 AND 96% MODELS AND I SELL THEM LIKE HOTCAKES--YOUR TANKLESS IS ONLY 82% EFF AND NO TAX CREDIT---MINE IS 90 OR 96% AND IS TAX CREDIT ELIGIBLE. POWERVNT IN 2 TO 4" PVC, NOT EXPENSIVE P.I.T.A SPECIALTY VENT. MINE HAS RECIRC TAPS ALREADY, AND THEY ARE NOT NECESSAY LIKE YOURS TO AVOID THE COLD WATER SANDWICH. MINE IS 1/2 INCH GAS, NOT 3/4 WHICH MEANS YOU HAVE TO REPIPE THE GAS, I DONT. I DONT HAVE TO RUN ALOT OF NEW COPPER TO ACCOMODATE, AS MINE SITS WHERE THE OLD TANK DOES. MY INSTALL IS WAY EASIER WHICH MEANS MORE PROFITS, AND I DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT MY LITTLE HEAT EXCHANGER CRUSTING UP---WHAT AN EXPENSE THAT IS EVERY 6 MONTHS--5 GALLONS OF VINEGAR--I DONT NEED IT

I HAD A CUSTOMER SAY, IF THE TANKLESS BREAKS WHILE IM AT WORK, I WONT HAVE AS MUCH WATER ON THE FLOOR, AND I WAS AMAZED. THE PIPE BREAKS AND THE FLOOD WILL BE CATASTROPHIC WITH THE TANK, NOT THE TANKLESS---CAN YOU EXPLAIN TO ME HOW 8 HRS OF BROKEN 3/4" COPPER WOULD BE WORSE BECAUSE 50 EXTRA GALLONS WERE STORED IN THE TANK????

THE TANKLESS IS A HIGH MAINTENENCE P.O.S , AND IT REQUIRES TOO MUCH ATTENTION------MARK MY WORDS, THE CRAZE WILL ONLY LAST UNTIL ALL THE FOOLS THAT PUT ONE IN START HAVING MAJOR PROBLEMS BECAUSE OF NO MAINT.-----HOW MANY OF YOUR CLIENTS EVEN KNOW WHAT SIZE THEIR WATER HEATER IS----VERY FEW------AND U THINK THEY WILL KEEP UP WITH IT----I CANT WAIT TO RIP EM OUT.

YOU PLUMBERS SHOULD REALLY THINK OF WHAT U SELL--IS A 80% TANKLESS THE ANSWER---BUY ANY POWERVENT AND ITS NEVER GOING TO HAVE THOSE ISSUES --AND ITS 90%%

Comment

Originally posted by plumberjr View Post
                              MARK MY WORDS, THE CRAZE WILL ONLY LAST
                              All CAPS? ... yuck ...

While tankless water heaters are relatively new to North America, tankless heaters have been used in Asia and Europe for 20+ years.

Edit: oops ... accidentally hit save ... sorry.

Originally posted by plumberjr View Post
                              START HAVING MAJOR PROBLEMS BECAUSE OF NO MAINT
                              And hence the purpose of this thread ... to show if only for a few that may see this post ... that it is not as hard as it looks ...
                              Last edited by theoak; 05-11-2009, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X