X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep well jet pump

Turned water back on today at a home I winterized.
    Deep well jet Pump is pumping but will not build over 30psi.
    If I manually shut off pump it will hold at 30psi.

QUESTION: Would it still hold at 30psi if the suction or return piping had a leak? or perhaps lose prime?

I suspect the pump is just worn out as it is 40yrs old according to the HO, but iit was working fine before winterizing.

QUESTION#2: Could a worn impeller be working fine until losing prime and then just not be able to recover?

I also suspect a clogged ejector or clogged foot valve screen as I'm getting a fair amount of debris out of the faucet, but guess what? No idea where the well is. The ol' boy says " I remember the well guy askin' me if I wanted the casing cut off or sticking up. I guess I shoulda had 'em leave it up". We even searched with a metal detector but no luck. I'll borrow the towns in the A.M. and try with that.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Re: Deep well jet pump

did you check the static pressure on the pressure tank. i've had a couple loose pressure or go bad in an off season. should be 2lbs below cut in pressure.
    I wish my lawn was Emo so it would cut itself.

Comment

Gene, is the jet itself down the well? If so, I have had many many of these damn things get a flake of rust or some other crap lodged in the jet producing the results that you seem to have.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        Gene, is the jet itself down the well? If so, I have had many many of these damn things get a flake of rust or some other crap lodged in the jet producing the results that you seem to have.
        Yep, it's in the well and that would have been my next step. Only problem, wheres the friggin' well?????
        On the advice of a friend(local Plumber) I will continue to run the water, but through the spigot rather then the faucet with the hopes that some air is still trapped in the system and I am able to purge it.

While the water is running I'll go a huntin' for the well.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Gene when I built on the Cape I put in 7 wells .As You know It's mostly sand. I used My ford truck. Welded 2 rims together as a capstan winch. 90 lb. driver off a pipe A frame. Drove 2" Galvy casing ,usually 50 ft. Ist section, 36" button point with brass screen.10 ft. sections Anything over 27 ft. is a deep well. I think I used 3/4" Galvy pipe with a foot valve and jet Assy. Water is driven up. I believe Maine has too much Rock ,to ever be this lucky. Thanks for listening. You live in a great State. Good luck with the brass rods or willow branch.
          Most of the Ca. folks won't know what I'm talking about ,Me thinks.
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Funny you mention the willow branch. He's got a nice big willow out front.
            I'll try with the town locater first. If that doesn't work, I'll try the old school way.

Comment

If it holds pressure I doubt either line is leaking. Not making pressure could be a sign of a dying pump or it could be a problem at the jet or the foot. Running it can help but usually doesn't (no harm in trying though its great when it works)

Finding wells is lots of fun. I've become quite an expert in doing so. The fact I have records for most the older wells in my area helps a lot.

Experience helps a lot. When you walk into a yard and know things like when the house was built you can make good guesses based on the age of the trees and knowledge off where they could have parked the drilling rig.

Your average metal detector usually doesn't cover it. I borrow a specific detector from a friend of mine for locating wells. Price range is somewhere around 4,000 bucks to buy one like it.

Being in Maine the well is likely 5 feet down from the surface. It could be in a well pit. In which case you can sometimes pick up the metal rings or rebar in the concrete cover with a lighter duty metal detector.

Another trick to give you more info is disconnect one or the lines going out to the well and feed a heavy snake into it. It will stop at the elbows going down into the well. That will give you a measurement on how far from the house it is, limiting the area you have to search.

If you find the well I warn you getting the seal off is not going to be fun.

Comment

sounds like a prob with the jet like NHmaster pointed out earlier

Comment

Ended up running it yesterday for more then an hour and the problem only got worse.

PSI remained right at 31, overnight, didn't drop at all in 24hrs.

I'd run it for a while with the spigot wide open and it would soundd like it was purging air then catch. After a few cycles of this it slowly started to only build pressure to 28psi then 25psi, and then 20psi.
                  I rechecked all the fittings.

One thing I noticed is, when I stopped pumping for a few mins the psi would improve for a cycle.

Would not getting enough water due to a clogged jet or foot valve screen make it sound similar to air?

Luckily this is pretty much a summer home so the HO is not in a huge hurry, other wise I'd have him just call in a well guy.

Finding and pulling this well is going to be such a pain in the a$$ that I'd like to eliminate all above ground possibilities first.

Comment

sediment in what it is producing, works better when you leave it alone for a while, farting air.....

sounds like a failing well to me.
                    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I think it could be a combination of the jet and the foot valve possibley one or both are clogged, best bet is to pull it, 99% of the time the jet is going to be clogged, those shallow wells are pretty easy, it sounde like it is letting tto much air in. How old is the pump though? Is it possible that the impellor is worn?

Comment

Funny ,If You've lived in the country,You know well pumps. Imagine city plumbers don't get the chance to learn. I wonder if city trade schools cover these.
                        Now N.h. Masters's students can field strip a Gould or they ain't leaving the classroom!
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Worked on many. If you go dig into the well to inspect the jet or footvalve just replace it with a submersible. You will spend so much time Fing with it that the labor will long outrun the savings by keeping the old pump.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                            Funny ,If You've lived in the country,You know well pumps. Imagine city plumbers don't get the chance to learn. I wonder if city trade schools cover these.
                            Now N.h. Masters's students can field strip a Gould or they ain't leaving the classroom!
                            Funny you should mention Goulds. They have donated several pumps to the school. And yes, we do spend a bit of time covering shallow and deep well pumps and systems.
                            sigpic

Comment

I know I'm the new guy here, but just got back from a deployment and saw this forum (Pretty damned cool for those who need some help). I've done most of my "solid" work in Indiana with some pretty deep wells and it seems to me that over a period of forty years you should be able to see a slight dimple in the landscape around the well if it is not too over grown. Stand back from where your sewer line goes out with a camera or binoculars and see if you can see a dip. I'm with a few of the posts and think the well itself is pulling in dirt. This being the case it would be better to let sit and settle than run it, possibly come back later and try again....Chances are though, it will only get worse...Sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X