Slow shower drain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow shower drain

The drain in my shower is becoming quite slow; undoubtably due to hair, soap residue, etc. The sides of the drain have lots of built up gunk also, effectively narrowing the exit path for the water. How might I remove this adhering material? It seems like something that would expand to the internal diameter of the drain pipe could be put down into the drain, expanded, and then pulled up to remove the offending gunk.

Thanks.

Re: Slow shower drain

Nah,
    A plumber uses a snake,scrapes and flushes with water.

Comment

1st off DO NOT use any caustic chemicals.

you can try an enzyme cleaner to "eat" away the sludge and allow the hair to flush down. you can also try removing the drain cover (if it has one) and remove the hair with hemostats. or you can call a drain cleaner and have it dealt with professionally

steve
      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

i don't like being the one to ask the obvious but,..... have you tried plunging it?

if that doesn't work, call up a local plumber.

Vince

Comment

Probably a piece of baloney get stuck down there.
          You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            Nah,
            A plumber uses a snake,scrapes and flushes with water.

I have to agree to call a plumber have them snake the line to clean it out properly. Then I would get a biozyme that naturally digests the build up in your line. There's allot of them out there, a popular one is Bio-Clean but like I said there are allot out there. What you should look for is a product that has natural microbial's that digest build up on the pipe walls preventing the further build up of future clogs they also help with controlling odors. The important thing is the inoculation process. You need a large amount in the begining for the first week or two and then once every week or two to maintain it.

Comment

1. Using proper safety protocal ... LYE

2. Or ... Small Drop head cable then a Water Ram ....

3. Or Suck it out with a Shop Vac

Or The Best is #3 Then #2 Then #1 Repeat as needed ...

Dave

Comment

Go to your local HD buy yourself a Drain King (1-1/2") Remove the plunger mechanism on the tub (If you have one). The drain king sends high pressure water through your line while clogging up the entrance. This means that you MAY have to clog the floor drain of your tub as well......DO NOT JACK ON THE PRESSURE. Ease it on and let it it go. Hooks right to a garden hose. After you are done add some enzyme treatment to you line. OH BTW...You MAY get wet. This is what you CAN do, but trust me.....call your plumber if you feel a little queasy about doing it. They'll have you fixed up right quick.

Comment

Originally posted by NAVMAN93 View Post
                  Go to your local HD buy yourself a Drain King (1-1/2") Remove the plunger mechanism on the tub (If you have one). The drain king sends high pressure water through your line while clogging up the entrance.
                  Do not do this. Although not allowed by code, I see many compression ptraps for tubs. The high pressure can potentially blow the joints apart if the stoppage is past the joints. Snake the line out and chances are the stoppage is hair at the strainer.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                  X