X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sewer smell since new roof

i had a new roof installed recently. i also had a ridge vent installed, since the roof had no roof vents. since the install, on windy days, i've noticed sewer smells in the house. could there be a connection? should the plumbing vent stacks be lengthened? what to do? thanks in advance.
    steve

Re: sewer smell since new roof

You have a dead moose that has crawled up there and passed away.Your sewer is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by halfpint View Post
      i had a new roof installed recently. i also had a ridge vent installed, since the roof had no roof vents. since the install, on windy days, i've noticed sewer smells in the house. could there be a connection? should the plumbing vent stacks be lengthened? what to do? thanks in advance.
      steve
      Our codes say plumbing vents have to terminate 10' horizontally or 3' above any opening in to the structure.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Check in the attic that the sewer vent is actually conected and not venting in the attic space. Sometimes extending the vent pipe will get the gasses high enough to not bother you. Or you could get a charcoal filter to go on top of the vent pipe. There's other brands but Sweet Air comes to mind right off.
        www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

I would say lengthen the vents to 3' above the ridge vent.

Might not be pretty though.

Comment

Complete tear off??

Make sure the vents aren't packed full of shingles and causing the odor problem somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by lmpg View Post
              Complete tear off??

Make sure the vents aren't packed full of shingles and causing the odor problem somewhere else.
              The common mistake is to assume the odor is sewer gas.
              If you can,open a cleanout or go up over a plumbing stack and
              put your snoot right in the stack or clean out and get a big whiff.Same stink?
              So many times we hear that it is another odor and wasn't sewer gas after all.
              Now go check for that moose while you are up on your roof!
              Last edited by Jay Mpls; 05-11-2009, 09:21 PM. Reason: Moose gas.

Comment

Seen crazier things.

But in theory this should not happen. Air is supposed to enter the soffit and travel up to the ridge vent. So there should be an almost undetectable slight positive pressure within the attic exhausting out the ridge vent.

There shouldn't be any gas entering even if it's within a couple of feet of the ridge with normal prevailing winds and the vent system of the attic.

Add that to the fact that it must enter the attic and then enter the living structure-sewer gas traveling downward-the circumstantial evidence doesn't seem to add up.

J.C.
                Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 05-11-2009, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  Seen crazier things.

But in theory this should not happen. Air is supposed to enter the soffit and travel up to the ridge vent. So there should be an almost undetectable slight positive pressure within the attic exhausting out the ridge vent.

There shouldn't be any gas entering even if it's within a couple of feet of the ridge with normal prevailing winds and the vent system of the attic.

Add that to the fact that it must enter the attic and then enter the living structure-sewer gas traveling downward-the circumstantial evidence doesn't seem to add up.

I tried to keep quiet.

J.C.
                  How do You Know He has soffit vents? He didn't say so.
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    You are correct. He did not say so. Maybe he'll reply back.

J.C.

Comment

Ill bet JC a dozen wings that a roofer stepped on the vent or broke it while installing a new roof boot! sounds like time for a peppermint test!

Comment

Halfpint??? No slow drains, bubbling water as it goes down anywhere in the house?

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                          Ridge vent would be kinda worthless without them dontcha think

Comment

Originally posted by NAVMAN93 View Post
                            Halfpint??? No slow drains, bubbling water as it goes down anywhere in the house?
                            no slow drains, or bubbling water.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur96 View Post
                              Ridge vent would be kinda worthless without them dontcha think
                              i have soffit vents.

Comment

Working...
                              X