X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bathroom sink height?

is there a maximum height, according to code, in new jersey, for a bathroom sink? i have a back injury and i would prefer if i can mount the sink higher than the standard 33"-34".

Re: bathroom sink height?

I remember some years ago I knew this real estate agent who was close to 7 feet tall, he had his bathroom sink the same height as his kichen sink which is about 36". I am sure he didnt care what the code said in this situation.

Comment

I don't recall every seeing anything in my code books about it, but your best bet is a phone call to the local inspections department.

Then it comes down to the available sizes of cabinets, 36" is probably the tallest readily available cabinet you'll find, though i'm sure you could either get a taller one built, or get a wall hung lav and pick your own height.

the Other thing to consider is; are you planning on selling anytime soon? if not then I wouldn't worry about code on something silly like counter height, make it comfortable for the person who has to use it every day.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by john050378 View Post
        is there a maximum height, according to code, in new jersey, for a bathroom sink? i have a back injury and i would prefer if i can mount the sink higher than the standard 33"-34".
        AFAIK there is no height requirement in the NSPC. Who told you there was?

ICC/ANSI A117.1-2003 - "Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities" sets heights for lavs and other fixtures among other requirements for ADA compliance and is adopted by NJ as part of NJAC 5:23 in sub-chapter 7 - "Barrier Free Subcode"

Also, and more important, NJAC 5:23-7.3(b) lists exceptions to the requirements of the Barrier Free Subcode, and for the most part exempts residential structures from having to comply with A117.1-2003. So you can in my opinion adjust the height of your lav sink to accommodate your height with the realization that you would have to return it to a normal height if you were to sell the home later on. The only place I see the Plumbing Code coming into play would be on maximum tailpiece length, or more correctly the maximum distance from the fixture outlet to the trap weir, which by the NSPC is 24" (REF: 2006 NSPC 5.1b and Figure 5.1-A).

You can view the NSPC for free online at:

www.state.nj.us/dca/codes
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

thanks everybody

Comment

Even 33~34 is higher than the "norm" but in recent years the norm has crept up due to changing height of the population.

IMHO you can put it anywhere you want. Some things to consider....the higher you put it , the more likely you might have to raise the drain at the wall, although You can have a fairly long tailpiece drop and not violate any code. The other factor to work in here....try to make it something that could be changed back without any major plumbing or tile work, because it might affect the resale value of the house.

Comment

36'' is starting to become more popular. even toilets are seeing the trend of the comfort height.

as far as i know, only the handicap accessible bathrooms have a minimum and maximum height requirements.

as mentioned, the maximum tailpiece length is 24'' so as long as the trap stub out height is within the range of the counter height, you'll be fine. common stub height is 18''. the sink sits at 36'' and the bottom of pop up is approx. 24''. so even at 18'' you still have another 1' to play.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Hi John,

if you plan on selling the house in the future, sell to a really tall person.

i'd like to add that the reason for the maximum length of the tail piece is to prevent momentum siphonage when the plug is pulled.

in other words, so you don't lose your trap seal.

Vince

Comment

by that you mean all the water being forced out of the trap?

Comment

yes, the water can run down fast enough that it'll actually pull the water out of the trap as it drains, it's kind of a neat thing to see, but not so good on the smell.
                    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

oh wow thanks for the input.

Comment

First thanks everybody to share your ideas about the bathroom sink height.Today 34"-36" is quite popular trend today.It is comfortable.I don't go for the code book to see the norms.I just contact to my local inspection department.

Comment

Working...
                        X