Hot Water Remedy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Water Remedy

Is there something I can do to get instant hot water in the master bath? It seems like I have to run the water 10 min. before it even starts to warm up? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Hot Water Remedy

have you plumber install a hot water recirculation kid, grundfos is a good one, they come with a built in timer to keep from running when not needed.

Comment

Another option is to install a mini-tank water heater in the bathroom, under the sink. I had the same problem as you do with my kitchen, which is at the far diagonal corner from the water heater. I installed an Ariston 4 gallon (model 4GLTi) hot water heater under the sink and the problem was solved. The heater runs on 120V, just plug it in. Plumb the regular hot water supply to the inlet of the mini-tank, then plumb the outlet of the mini-tank to the faucet. By the time the little tank is running out of hot water, hot water from the main heater shows up. I'm real happy with the way it works. They make those heaters in 2.5, 4, and 8 gallon. Get the "Ti" model with the titanium heater element. My four gallon was about $165. It is very well insulated and doesn't seem to use much electricity at all. There are probably other manufacturers that make similar tanks out there, also, but read the fine print. I came across others that were not recommended for "in-line" installation.

Good luck,

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by electrokid View Post
        Is there something I can do to get instant hot water in the master bath? It seems like I have to run the water 10 min. before it even starts to warm up? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re circ line.....

Comment

...hot water recirculation kid...
          I'll bet that 'kid' gets tired of running back and forth with buckets of hot water.
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
            I'll bet that 'kid' gets tired of running back and forth with buckets of hot water.
            Beat me to it Bob D!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
              I was going to say something, but the last time I picked on his spelling Rick told me I was being mean to poor Wrench
              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

I was too excited that I got to answer first I didnt even pay attention to my spelling!

go ahead Joey you can pick on me I don't mind, I have broad shoulders!
                Last edited by wrench spinner; 05-15-2009, 12:10 PM.

Comment

A point of use heater is complicated to install for a shower. You re better off with a recirculating pump. You can get a kit for about $200 dollars. They re easy to install if you have an outlet by your water heater.

Comment

Grundfos Comfort System

wookie

Have a plumber install the unit and he'll check out your system, expansion tank etc.

Comment

>> "A point of use heater is complicated to install for a shower. You re better off with a recirculating pump. You can get a kit for about $200 dollars. They re easy to install if you have an outlet by your water heater."

I agree that a mini-tank can be a little harder to plumb to a shower, depending on the configuration. I'm adding one to my back bathroom, and it does require a little work but not bad. Depends on your specific plumbing situation, I guess - and whether you have a good place to put the tank. The upside is there's no return line to route back to the water heater. You do have to connect the T&P to a drain (I'm using the sink drain) and have a catch tray under the tank.

I looked at the recirc systems. They're a good option. One thing I liked about them is that they don't take up a lot of space under the sink. But in the end I chose the mini-tank because (a) less energy use - they avoid the continuous significant heat loss from the piping, and (b) doesn't have a pump, which will, like any pump, give out sooner or later.

Not claiming it's a better solution... just a different one that has its plusses and minuses.

-Andy

Comment

Can I find these pumps at Lowe's or Hdepot or are they carried and installed only by plumbers?
                        And thanks for all the replies...

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
                          >> "A point of use heater is complicated to install for a shower. You re better off with a recirculating pump. You can get a kit for about $200 dollars. They re easy to install if you have an outlet by your water heater."

I agree that a mini-tank can be a little harder to plumb to a shower, depending on the configuration. I'm adding one to my back bathroom, and it does require a little work but not bad. Depends on your specific plumbing situation, I guess - and whether you have a good place to put the tank. The upside is there's no return line to route back to the water heater. You do have to connect the T&P to a drain (I'm using the sink drain) and have a catch tray under the tank.

I looked at the recirc systems. They're a good option. One thing I liked about them is that they don't take up a lot of space under the sink. But in the end I chose the mini-tank because (a) less energy use - they avoid the continuous significant heat loss from the piping, and (b) doesn't have a pump, which will, like any pump, give out sooner or later.

Not claiming it's a better solution... just a different one that has its plusses and minuses.

-Andy
                          How can you posibly connect to your sink drain with your T&P and still meet codes! Not to knock ya man but the whole thing sounds a little over engineered. And witht he grudfos system you do not need to add a line for recirc.

P.S. the grundfos system will use half the energy of your tank, you can put a timer on the recirc you really cant on the point of use unless it is a tankless, and those are not the best,

P.P.S. your point of use tank will go out too, just like the pump, the difference is a pump will go out and not pump, your point of use will go out and leak, leak alot possibly, and doing a lot of damage!

Comment

Originally posted by electrokid View Post
                            Can I find these pumps at Lowe's or Hdepot or are they carried and installed only by plumbers?
                            You can find the kits at home depot and you can probably install it with no real problems.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X