Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here we go again....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Here we go again....

    With another plumbing mystery.

    Two houses, one well. One house has no problems. The other house has smelly water, (typical rotten egg) especially out of the hot side.

    I've already drained, disinfected, and replaced the anode rod with a "non-smeller" in the problem house.

    Smell has returned or is still there.

    Any thoughts on how to permanently cure it?

    Thanks.

    J.C.

  • #2
    Re: Here we go again....

    do they have a non backflow protected irrigation system? have you tried Chlorinating the waterlines in the house to kill any bacteria that are taking up residence?

    I think thats all i've got right now.

    I guess the irrigation system makes no sense with it being on the hot side.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Here we go again....

      Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
      do they have a non backflow protected irrigation system? have you tried Chlorinating the waterlines in the house to kill any bacteria that are taking up residence?

      I think thats all i've got right now.
      I DID NOT chlorinate lines in the problem house. Told the customer that was my next plan when I spoke to them yesterday.

      No irrigation.

      Thanks.

      J.C.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Here we go again....

        HA yea where i live i do all the maintenance on 4 apartment buildings all share one well. every now and then i get this same problem in one of the buildings but not the others.

        do both houses have a water filter installed? if so change them.

        Did you drain down the pressure tanks too? lot of crap gets stuck in these as well adding to the smell.

        Does the well have a treatment system? if so you might want to top it off with a bromide or chlorine solution and run a treatment cycle.

        Comment


        • Floodchek
          Floodchek commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello, Arthur,

          I'm Steve, a new member. I'm curious as to what type washing machine fill hoses you recommend for your residents.

      • #5
        Re: Here we go again....

        Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        I DID NOT chlorinate lines in the problem house. Told the customer that was my next plan when I spoke to them yesterday.

        J.C.
        That'd probably be my next step, though it might be easiest to do a well shock, and flush the shock out through the problem house.
        though i'll admit that i'm new to working with wells, so there is probably an easier way I haven't gotten to try.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

        Comment


        • #6
          Re: Here we go again....

          You've checked the other house and it definatly does NOT have the smell, right?

          What's the timeline from replacing the anode, to the smell returning? Or did the smell ever go away?

          Magnesium rods tend to stink more than aluminium

          Water softeners can accelerate anode breakdown

          Comment


          • #7
            Re: Here we go again....

            Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            You've checked the other house and it definatly does NOT have the smell, right?

            I did not check the other house. This is what I was told yesterday. Customer once again leaves out details. I did not even know they shared a well.

            What's the timeline from replacing the anode, to the smell returning? Or did the smell ever go away?

            No timeline on the smell returning. They did not call and tell me so I have no idea. I ran into them on another call and that's when I found out.

            Magnesium rods tend to stink more than aluminium

            Correct.

            Water softeners can accelerate anode breakdown
            Correct again. No water softeners.

            J.C.

            Comment


            • #8
              Re: Here we go again....

              Originally posted by Arthur96 View Post
              HA yea where i live i do all the maintenance on 4 apartment buildings all share one well. every now and then i get this same problem in one of the buildings but not the others.

              do both houses have a water filter installed? if so change them.

              Did you drain down the pressure tanks too? lot of crap gets stuck in these as well adding to the smell.

              Does the well have a treatment system? if so you might want to top it off with a bromide or chlorine solution and run a treatment cycle.
              1 pressure tank, no water filters, no water treatment system. One houses' water smells, the others does not.

              J.C.

              Comment


              • #9
                Re: Here we go again....

                1 pressure tank for both homes? and neither home has a filter? no filter brfore the HWH's either?

                then i think the smelly house is the one closest to the well head.

                each house should have its own pressure tank unless its like a duplex, and same for the filters.

                Do all the sinks in the smelly house umm smell ie... tub/kitchen/bath or just one?

                Airators clean?

                Comment


                • #10
                  Re: Here we go again....

                  I have a recurrent problem with sulfur smell in hot water at my ex's house. It comes back every few years. I drain the water heater and suck all the hard white/brown tinged white crap out of the bottom of it and it's solved again for a few years. Crap is flakes and aglommerations of flakes exactly shaped like they once coated the electric elements. I suck them out through the bottom element hole with a wet vac with a piece of 1/2" pvc duct-taped to the hose. I torch the pvc near the end and put a bend in it to reach around in there. Get a ton of it out, usually enough to fill a 3 gal bucket. Bottom element sometimes toasted as part of it. She has crap water, ph around 10 out the tap, very high flouride.

                  wonder if your problem could be something similar... not smelly house more recent water heater? one electric one gas? getting smell also in cold but less because something is crossing over?
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    Re: Here we go again....

                    irrigation, fire sprinklers without backflow, or a fire hydrent that needs to be flushed??
                    sigpic

                    Robert

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Re: Here we go again....

                      Hey JC

                      What did you find?

                      I need closure.
                      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        Re: Here we go again....

                        Hmmm....sulfer smell from the well, I'd check to see if a RIVER BIRCH was growing nearby .

                        Are the houses piped with the same material? Copper, cpvc, pex....
                        When you drained the water heater down was that water more malodorous than the rest of the house? If the tank is over 10 yrs old I'd replace it. It would be good for your economy.
                        "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Re: Here we go again....

                          Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                          Hmmm....sulfer smell from the well, I'd check to see if a RIVER BIRCH was growing nearby .
                          See, I told you it was still funny!
                          I love my plumber

                          "My Hero"

                          Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X