Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sewer No-no's

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
    the only thing that should ever go into a toilet is human waste and the least amount of toilet paper possible.
    I hear that. I kind of noticed that when I switched to the thicker paper the toilet seemed to clog up easier...though I'd assumed it would actually dissolve at some point.
    Same with paper towels,every so often the cat would take a dump on the floor and I'd clean it up with a paper towel and flush it. Again assuming that PAPER WOULD DISSOLVE eventually!

Comment

Originally posted by JoeNJ View Post
      Sounds like they should keep it inner
      Thanks to those with the non-wise guy responses
      Fyi,not flushing alot of cat litter...just more convenient to scoop some cat waste into the toilet then have a bunch of smelly trash bags lying around all week.
      Btw better tell Kohler to stop making those commercials then with the guy dumping all kinds of stuff down their toilets

Actually I was thinking about sending Kohler a Christmas card thanking them for those commercials.

These are my "outer" thoughts...

1. Toilet paper and human waste only in commode.

2. Strainers in the bathtubs to catch hair.

3. Everything that goes down the disposal is adding to a future blockage.

The less that goes down the drain, the longer it will be before you need to see (pay) me again.

One time I cleaned a sewer from a clean out behind the house and pulled out over twenty tampons. The customer was surprised because they were supposed to be flushable. I explained that toilet paper dissolves in water, tampons are designed to not dissolve and hold liquid.

She thought for a moment and said, "Well, if I only have to do this once a year, I'll pay for the convenience."

Cool with me.

Sorry for the sarcasm.

Comment

Not being a smart @ss, but I would put the dang cat outside where it belongs.

G3

Comment

I hear that. I kind of noticed that when I switched to the thicker paper the toilet seemed to clog up easier...though I'd assumed it would actually dissolve at some point.
          Same with paper towels,every so often the cat would take a dump on the floor and I'd clean it up with a paper towel and flush it. Again assuming that PAPER WOULD DISSOLVE eventually!
          in a perfect world with perfect plumbing it seems reasonable. but unfortunately....

here we have a saying "in the land of sun & fun, we don't flush for number 1" unfortunately too much toilet paper with low volume toilets spells a blockage in the making. take a big glass of water, wad up 3 or 4 sheets of TP and toss into the glass, wait an hour and repeat, wait another hour and repeat. give that last bit of paper a half hour to sit. now pour the water and paper into your hand. a big mass of paper that may have trouble going down the toilet and has to travel down your line to the city main or your septic tank. a blockage in the making

dental floss and C.I, pipes are another recipe for disaster.

again, in a perfect world ...

steve
          In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I'd have thought with all the advancements in technology that there should already be things in place to assist in breaking down of materials,both on the plumbing end as well as the materials that are manufactured to be 'toilet friendly' At the very least I thought there were enzymes in the system that are supposed to break things down.

Comment

I'd have thought with all the advancements in technology that there should already be things in place to assist in breaking down of materials,both on the plumbing end as well as the materials that are manufactured to be 'toilet friendly' At the very least I thought there were enzymes in the system that are supposed to break things down.
              Gotta get through the pipes first.Then the dissolving can take place in that area designed for digestion.Stomach vs.Throat.

Comment

When face to face with customers I just tell them the truth. I think it's stupid to flush kitty litter and paper towels. Is the IP stupid? Probably not, but he's doing a stupid thing. I am speaking the truth in love, so he won't keep doing a stupid thing. I tried sarcasm, my bad, but it's obvious he blames "technology" for not having caught up to his desire to use his toilet as a garbage can.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
                  When face to face with customers I just tell them the truth. I think it's stupid to flush kitty litter and paper towels. Is the IP stupid? Probably not, but he's doing a stupid thing. I am speaking the truth in love, so he won't keep doing a stupid thing. I tried sarcasm, my bad, but it's obvious he blames "technology" for not having caught up to his desire to use his toilet as a garbage can.
                  Tact works pretty well also as demonstrated by a few posters here

Comment

Hey, Joe! From Jersey myself. I live in FL now, but I'm from the Jackson/Howell/Freehold area. Joe, to seasoned drain cleaners/plumbers, it's all too obvious not to put anything down a drain and human waste in a toilet. Don't be put off by the sarcasm/mild abuse. Thick skin. But, as pointed out, as soon as you try to use your drain/sewer system as a "trashcan", you're bound for trouble. Maybe soon, maybe down the road. Yeah, the Kohler commercial shows a tractor trailer and 50 golf balls being flushed. And, many of the popular baby or "adult" wipes say "flushable" on them. Look around this forum, and you'll see pictures with cables or "snakes" being pulled out of drains with many wipes wrapped around. Remember, if it doesn't break down in water, forget it. In the trash. Kitty litter? I know you're flushing the turds from the cat box, but if they got litter stuck to em(and they do), don't flush em. Between these products and garbage disposers, there will always be work in the drain cleaning industry. Hope you got some good advice with a little ball busting!

Comment

Originally posted by richinflorida View Post
                      Hey, Joe! From Jersey myself. I live in FL now, but I'm from the Jackson/Howell/Freehold area. Joe, to seasoned drain cleaners/plumbers, it's all too obvious not to put anything down a drain and human waste in a toilet. Don't be put off by the sarcasm/mild abuse. Thick skin. But, as pointed out, as soon as you try to use your drain/sewer system as a "trashcan", you're bound for trouble. Maybe soon, maybe down the road. Yeah, the Kohler commercial shows a tractor trailer and 50 golf balls being flushed. And, many of the popular baby or "adult" wipes say "flushable" on them. Look around this forum, and you'll see pictures with cables or "snakes" being pulled out of drains with many wipes wrapped around. Remember, if it doesn't break down in water, forget it. In the trash. Kitty litter? I know you're flushing the turds from the cat box, but if they got litter stuck to em(and they do), don't flush em. Between these products and garbage disposers, there will always be work in the drain cleaning industry. Hope you got some good advice with a little ball busting!
                      Yea I live in contractor central here in Philly now so I see it ad nauseum around here

Comment

You should look into purchasing some scented garbage bags and double bagging the cat waste. I have a dog and most municipal by laws in Canada require you pick up your dog waste. For many years I've been keeping the waste outside until it is to be disposed. Try This out for a Change, hopefully it makes life easier!
                        Last edited by Marklar89; 05-17-2009, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Actually the cats have the upstairs and the dogs are downstairs and we do the outside disposal thing with the dogs so I guess now we'll make the necessary adjustments.

Comment

taking notes... I only do 3 of the 4

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
                            Please remember to sharpen your disposal blade by disposing of eggshells, and seafood shells.

...and keep your disposal smelling fresh by disposing of whole lemons and/or oranges.

My son is forever grateful. Public schools here are rough.

Comment

After the sarcasm and the helpful advice, will you promise to treat your toilet nice?

Comment

Tact works pretty well also as demonstrated by a few posters here
                                If You try some other forums,You'll see what clam heads are out there! This place is civil and helpful. Ask what ever You want ,We'll help
                                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                                X