X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sewer No-no's

Just had a basement full of water,turns out it was a clogged sewage drain backing up into the house. Was told by the plumber things not to flush,including baby wipes(they don't break down).
    How about things like cat litter? That's another thing we flush regularly...

Re: Sewer No-no's

Hi,

I was under the impression that a toilet, water closet, commode , whatever you want to call it was to be used for human waste...I.E. A "#1" or "#2"..

Why in the world would you flush baby wipes and cat liter down the bowl?

Don't you have a garbage can...I am not trying to be rude, but come on

I mean OK - I have seen the baby wipe thing many times but cat liter?

Is this DUNBAR?

Comment

My son's school tuition is $600 per month, flush whatever you like.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

the only thing that should ever go into a toilet is human waste and the least amount of toilet paper possible.

but you did NOT hear that from me

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I strongly endorse flushing baby butt wipes, paper towels, feminine hygiene products and cat litter.

Comment

Please remember to sharpen your disposal blade by disposing of eggshells, and seafood shells.

...and keep your disposal smelling fresh by disposing of whole lemons and/or oranges.

My son is forever grateful. Public schools here are rough.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Damn.....this poor guy doesn't have a snowball's chance.

Sheesh!
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Kitty litter? Sure, no problem...and add some hydraulic cement to that mix, it will help it flow better.

Comment

joe, here's the issue with wipes.

even though a lot of them say flushable they technically flushed ok, but plugged up downstream in the rest of the piping.

sice they don't dissolve, they will collect on all the rough pipe and any defects, in the system.

so yes, they are flushable, but not necessarily capable to get all the way through a waste system into a cities public/ common line.

cat litter will collect and clump.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Wow. Some of you are being a little hard on the guy, don't ya think?

Do you all make comments like that in a customer's house when your face to face?

Comment

Originally posted by lmpg View Post
                      Wow. Some of you are being a little hard on the guy, don't ya think?

Do you all make comments like that in a customer's house when your face to face?
                      I think they are voicing what would be their inner monologue when dealing with a customer.
                      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeNJ View Post
                        Just had a basement full of water,turns out it was a clogged sewage drain backing up into the house. Was told by the plumber things not to flush,including baby wipes(they don't break down).
                        How about things like cat litter? That's another thing we flush regularly...

Hot bacon grease will lube up the sides of the pipe.

Comment

Cat litter is clay in small chunks, so if you would not dumb a bucket of dirt down the drain one should not dump cat litter either,

when the little lumps hit the water they soften and clump together. if they are not washed all the way out of the system in one flush, which rarely does it, unless there is a very short run of pipe,
                          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                          attributed to Samuel Johnson
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                            I think they are voicing what would be their inner monologue when dealing with a customer.
                            Sounds like they should keep it inner
                            Thanks to those with the non-wise guy responses
                            Fyi,not flushing alot of cat litter...just more convenient to scoop some cat waste into the toilet then have a bunch of smelly trash bags lying around all week.
                            Btw better tell Kohler to stop making those commercials then with the guy dumping all kinds of stuff down their toilets

Comment

Originally posted by JoeNJ View Post
                              Btw better tell Kohler to stop making those commercials then with the guy dumping all kinds of stuff down their toilets
                              Their toilets can probably take it o.O I'd be more worried about the plumbing beyond that.
                              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Working...
                              X