X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kohler shower valve stem

Got a call from a customer this AM that ceiling in downstairs bedroom collapsed. Cause seems to be, from what I can see with my See Snake Micro, a leak in shower head elbow in upstairs bathroom.

The problem: Downstairs bathroom has been out of comission for about four weeks because valve stem was leaking and plumber keeps saying he ordered the new stem, that he broke, but it has not come in yet. I don't want the customer to be without any shower so I told them to put pressure on the plumber to fix the downstairs bathroom before fixing the upstairs shower.

Is the plumber scamming the customer? Is there an average lead time for ordering a replacement Kohler valve stem? Four weeks seems like a long time to me but I haven't ever ordered plumbing parts, maybe that is normal.

Is replacement of a valve stem complex? I really don't want to get into plumbing but I will try a temporary fix to get the customer back to at least one shower if I have to.

Thanks,

Tom

Re: Kohler shower valve stem

Don't know without knowing the exact kohler part, but I will say that Kohler, IMO, can be one of the worst as far as lead times go.

That being said, there are other places to get kohler parts besides kohler.

Comment

Ye ive never had a decent delivery time from kohler, would try to avoid if possible, i feel sorry for that dude but as its ordered as you say nothing much u can do but put pressure on him to try and do somthing. hopefully it gets sorted
      Drain Cleaning - Blocked Drain Jetting and Drain Repair

Comment

I have had 6 week wait for parts from Kohler with the typical wait being 1 week. Just depends on what is ordered.

Comment

Check Plumbmaster.com they have almost anything and stuff from 70 years ago. can get it quick with friendly service. Chris

Comment

Well, things have change slightly. Water was leaking from valve stem not the shower head. Decision is to install a new tub, shower "diverter valve", if that is what it is called, in upstairs bathroom and attempt a temoprary rebuild of the downstairs bathroom with parts from the upstairs bathroom and old diverter valve.

I contacted plumber who scheduled meeting me at house today. I bought a Gerber replacemet valve. Yesterday afternoon and again last night I called him to establish a time to meet. No return call. I have told customer I will be there with plumber and they will have at least one working shower by tonight.

Is replacement of a diverter valve something a novice can do? I have attempted soldering a couple times in my life with less than optimal results. I don't remember the last time I attempted it but I do remember being frustrated with leaks. I succeded only after many resolderings.

I am stuck. I gave my word to the customer and now am in a corner with seemingly no way out except to attempt this repair myself. Additionally I don't think my insurance covers plumbing.

Tom

Comment

I found a plumber to do the job. Supposed to meet him tomorrow at 8:30 AM. He was surprised when I told him the other guy anticipated 8 hours to replace valve and rebuild the other one. He told me it shouldn't take anywhere near that long. So maybe the customer will save some money.

I went to plumbmaster.com for a short time but couldn't figure out how to order. I will try again later or maybe call them.

Many thanks for all the help.

Tom
              Last edited by Tom W; 05-22-2009, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X