Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Installing a garden hose spigot in my garage: DIY or hire a pro? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing a garden hose spigot in my garage: DIY or hire a pro?

I'll admit right now that I know next to nothing when it comes to plumbing. In my house I can identify different types of pipes, and can locate the water main shut off valve, that's about it.

My house is a brand new build, most of the water lines are PVC. I have 2 spigots going to the exterior of the house, one on the front, and one on the side, but neither is anywhere near the garage which would be a sensible place to have one.

Would installing a garden hose spigot in my garage be a task I should be able to attempt on my own (with advice of course) or should I get a plumber to handle it and not risk making a costly mistake?

Re: Installing a garden hose spigot in my garage: DIY or hire a pro?

Originally posted by wathman View Post
    get a plumber to handle it and not risk making a costly mistake?

it's your home, not a project car. it's not like you can just stop at a different one later on while this one floods out.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I was thinking myself. It doesn't seem like a big job, but if I screw up, it would likely become one. I was planning on getting a plumber out here to put in the fixtures for a basement bathroom when I'm ready to finish the basement, so I'll just wait until then and have a plumber do the garden hose spigot at the same time.

Just for future reference, about how much should I be expecting to pay to put a sink, toilet, and shower/tub in? I just need an estimate to make a project budget for my basement.
      Last edited by wathman; 05-19-2009, 08:46 AM.

Comment

about how much should I be expecting to pay to put a sink, toilet, and shower/tub in? I just need an estimate to make a project budget for my basement.
        The best thing to do is to ask friends and neighbors if they have a plumber that they can recommend. Get two or three plumbers to quote on the work that you need done. That way they can see exactly what needs to be done with what you have. It's really hard to estimate work and pricing if you just give a general "how much is this?"

For example; What kind of access is there to your basement?
        Are you purchasing the fixtures yourself, or plumber supplied?
        What kind of fixtures? Different fixtures are harder/easier to install = Time = Cost of installation
        Same as tub installs - different tubs can be a big pain if you don't have the room or the prpper access.
        What condition is the construction in?
        What kind of room do you have for venting?
        There are more questions that a licensed plumber will be asking.

I'm not a plumber, so this are only my thoughts, but if someone asks me, "How much to install my irrigation system?", I can't and I don't give them an answer until I see the job.

Mick

Comment

I guess there are still a lot of variables I need to work out. Basically my basement is completely unfinished, there's piping for drains in the concrete, and access to water lines along the wall and ceiling where the master bedroom is on the floor above.

Everything else is still a blank slate down there.

Comment

Also when you get a quote the cheapest one is not always the best way to go. I agree with Fireguy97 that you should ask around to family or friends that have had a remodel done. Get at least three to five quotes and decide from there. I just had my Heating and air system replaced and I actually chose the one that was the most expensive because they where the most recommended by my family and friends. They did a great job and did the job very quickly and gave me a great warranty. So the one thing I would look at as well is time they say it will take to get the job done.

Comment

Glad to see you're leaning toward getting a pro. As a side benefit, I've learned a lot from hiring professionals over the years - be it plumbing, electrical, tilework or landscaping. So my advice is, if you're not confident, hire a pro - and one that comes recommended is best. You can learn a lot after the job's done if you carefully look over how the pro did things. I've found that pros often bring not only the skill to do the job well... but they often have the ability to look at your job and quickly see the EASIEST way to approach the job. This is huge with many projects and is something that homeowners often don't have the experience to do nearly as well. You can learn to glue pvc and sweat copper - that's the easy part of the job. The pro's really valuable experience is in more important areas.

Sometimes, the pro's (like the guys here) don't mind you asking questions, although I strongly advise against watching a guy do his job... that has got to be uncomfortable and I can't imagine that any pro appreciates it.

The other thing I recommend is, anytime you start a project - and this is true whether you are doing something for the first time or the tenth time - as a DIY guy make sure that you have a couple of fallbacks. The first is, start the job early on Saturday morning so that you're not going to get caught at Sunday 11 pm missing the union that you didn't realize you would need and without it the water can't be turned on. Makes for an unhappy wife and children. Second, see if you can isolate the area your working on so that you CAN turn at least SOME of the water on to the house if everything turns sour. I keep a few caps and plugs of various sizes and styles for this and a couple of old ball valves handy. Third, have the emergency plumber's phone number handy. And, if you have a brother in law, father, neighbor or anyone that knows a bit, you might want to make sure you can get hold of them.

Finally, if I need to have the water shut off for any length of time, I fill up a few 5 gallon buckets of water first. That way, you can still flush toilets, rinse off flux, or clean grimy hands before that inevitable trip to HD for the 99 cent roll of teflon tape you ran out of with three connections to go.

-Andy

Comment

sounds like a fairly straightforward job, but I wouldn't hazard a guess on pricing without being able to physically see the job, from your description it all sounds pretty straightforward, but it's hard to say from here.

having the right tools makes all the difference as well, and a professional has the tools to make sure the job gets done right, so i'm glad to hear that's the direction you're looking.
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Would installing a garden hose spigot in my garage be a task I should be able to attempt on my own (with advice of course) or should I get a plumber to handle it and not risk making a costly mistake?
                  If your winters are bad you should consider a frost-free faucet or similar plumbing fixture

Attachment
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by reConx View Post
                    If your winters are bad you should consider a frost-free faucet or similar plumbing fixture

Attachment

Winters here aren't terrible, a couple ice storms and snow on the ground for a total of maybe 2 weeks would be a cold winter. Nothing compared to Ohio where I grew up, or Michigan where I did my undergrad.

I don't think that the two outdoor spigots I already have are frost free, the builder told us to make sure to unhook any garden hoses and not use the outdoor spigots during the winter to help protect the pipes.

As for the advice for approaching plumbing maintenance or upgrades, it's weird how similar the approach is for network troubleshooting in the IT world. Always having fallbacks, and establishing a minimum level of service while working on major problems. The only thing mentioned that I can't think of a similarity for computer networking is "having buckets of water ready to flush toilets"
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by reConx View Post

Attachment
                      This is a picture of a Moen H/C hosebibb. Gotta' make a bigger hole and it's about $100.00 last I checked.

I don't think any of the frost free's are worth a darn.

J.C.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Really it comes down to are you interested in learning how to do it. If so, if you would enjoy the experience, and are willing to accept that it will cost just as much to do it yourself by the time you redo it twice to make it right and buy the tools, and that you will be out an afternoon or 3, and may end up with no water for a day if things go way wrong, and if you have the time to devote to it, and will accept that doing do diligence to do a proper job on something you know little about will make a mountain out of a molehill and will take AGES to get it done, then go for it.

But if you want to do it yourself just to save a couple bucks, don't. Just ask around until you find the right guy and let him do it.

It doesn't sound like a huge thing, and someone here will walk you through it if you really want to do a nice job and will post pics and can take direction.

But again it just comes down to why do you want to do it yourself? To save $ = silly; hire someone that does this, let them, and get on with doing what you do. To expand yourself, explore something new, learn a little, feel good about doing a nice job on something = great, we're happy to help.
                        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                          Really it comes down to are you interested in learning how to do it. If so, if you would enjoy the experience, and are willing to accept that it will cost just as much to do it yourself by the time you redo it twice to make it right and buy the tools, and that you will be out an afternoon or 3, and may end up with no water for a day if things go way wrong, and if you have the time to devote to it, and will accept that doing do diligence to do a proper job on something you know little about will make a mountain out of a molehill and will take AGES to get it done, then go for it.

But if you want to do it yourself just to save a couple bucks, don't. Just ask around until you find the right guy and let him do it.

It doesn't sound like a huge thing, and someone here will walk you through it if you really want to do a nice job and will post pics and can take direction.

But again it just comes down to why do you want to do it yourself? To save $ = silly; hire someone that does this, let them, and get on with doing what you do. To expand yourself, explore something new, learn a little, feel good about doing a nice job on something = great, we're happy to help.
                          I wouldn't take on a plumbing project like this to save money, as you and others have said, experience and the proper tools can make the difference between a job well done and an epic failure. I do enjoy learning how to do things myself and developing new skills. That's why I'm planning on doing as much of the construction I can myself.

The only two areas I'm not completely comfortable are plumbing and electric. Also, since I'll probably outgrow this house and will want to sell it down the road, I want to make sure the plumbing and electric are done correctly.

Comment

mIC THE BEST ADVICE TO GIVE IS DON'T PRICE TILL LOOKING. THE CAR MECHANIC CAN,T DIAGNOSE THE NOISE COMEING FROM UNDER YOUR HOOD UNLESS YOU LET HIM LOOK UNDER THE HOOD ! cHRIS

Comment

The only thing mentioned that I can't think of a similarity for computer networking is "having buckets of water ready to flush toilets"

Having your HD backed up incase it crashes?????

Comment

Working...
                              X