Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Cleanout needed for a new bathroom conversion?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleanout needed for a new bathroom conversion?

Hi,

I live in San Diego, CA, and I am trying to convert a storage room into a second bathroom. The building is only one floor. I connected the drainage pipes of my bathtub (on the left side in the picture) and the drainage pipe of the sink (right side) to the drainage pipe (3”) of the toilet with a waste cross. The fourth arm of the waste cross goes under the fountain (behind the wall) across my living room and is connected to the main drain pipe (4”) with a Y with 45-degree-elbow combo. This running is approximately 10 feet. I had an inspection, but didn’t pass. Apparently, I need a cleanout since the running is > 5 feet and the bathroom is in the basement. Is that right? The inspector would not tell me specifically. Is a cleanout even necessary? Can’t I use the toilet bowl to snake out a plug. If not, where would be the best place to put the cleanout. I don’t want to put it outdoor if I don’t have to since I would have to go through the foundation on the left wall. Would a cleanout tee (placed horizontally) work in between the bathtub drain and the existing waste cross? Can I put a removable floor tile over the cleanout? Or is there a regulation against that? Or a cleanout tee (placed vertically) in-between the sink drain. What are the advantages of a cleanout tee and a Y-shaped cleanout? In the California Plumbing Code handbook, it specifies that I need a clearance of 18”. Is that 18” in front of the cleanout, or to either sides?

Is there anything else wrong with my pipe layouts. Do I need to replace any of the venting pipes? I am not sure whether or not I can connect all three of the drain pipes together with the waste cross?

Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks

http://mattiejojo2007.googlepages.co...roomconversion
    (click on picture to enlarge on website)

Re: Cleanout needed for a new bathroom conversion?

Any suggestion appreciated?

Call a plumber!
    When I need plans drawn up for my garden shed ill call an engineer!

Comment

I am not sure in America but there is not a shortage of vents in that bathroom.
      In Australia we would get away with one 2inch vent.

The inspector mustn't read this forum.
      Rick would be able snake the drain via the vent with the K-60.

Simon

Comment

If your branch is longer than 5 feet you need cleanout! As for where to put I would need to see your lay out. Normally, it would go into the toilet vent but IDK if this would work for you.

Comment

EasyEman,

thanks. I had also thought about putting in a low-heel 90 degree vent and moving my existing toilet vent to be directly above the waste cross (i.e. move it to the left by ~2 ft). By with the low-heel 90 degree vent, it's only 2" for one of the output, while I need at least a 2.5" cleanout. A waste-T might work since it's 3" for all three inputs, but I was not sure whether or not I can use it for venting purpose and the cleanout.

Comment

You gotta get rid of that cross. Pick up the drains and vets with wyes, rolled up with 45's.

Comment

all wrong my friend...

Comment

Working...
              X