X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My pipes are humming

We noticed it last night. We are in a 2 story home. Upstairs there are 2 full baths and it seems to be the loudest in my daughters bathroom. My husband recently replaced the inner workings of the toilet tank, but other than that, no pluming work has been done in the house in the 3 years we've lived here.

When I run any of the faucets upstairs the sound stops. The longer I run them, the longer the delay until the humming starts again.

If you have any tips, please be as descriptive as possible. I can install a light switch or a ceiling fan, but I've not had to do pluming before, so talk to me like I'm a 3rd grader, lol.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

(I did search and read a bit about it, and am going to check the "ball cock" now if I can figure out what it is.)

Re: My pipes are humming

ok, well, I lifted up the rod with the ball on the end, the one that goes up and down as the water goes up and down. The humming stopped instantly. There was very little water in the tank when I took the lid off, so I've added a bit of dye to the water and will check back periodically to see if it's leaking into the bowl.

And as I sit here the humming begins again. Time to go fiddle with it some more.

Comment

the dye is already leaking into the bowl and it's only been about 5 minutes. I shut off the water to the toilet for now. We've got 2 other potties in the house we can use until the husband can come home and try to fix it.

Comment

Did you buy a low end ballcock or float valve for your toilet? I used to buy cheap ones before I started plumbing and I found out that they really do a slow job of filling the tank, and can be difficult to adjust. If your tank leaks into the bowl like you say it does it could definitely be constantly running on a very low flow and causing the hum. I fixed a friends toilet that had this problem by cleaning the flapper at the bottom of the tank thoroughly and later replacing it. I just used my fingers to clean off the residue, and after it continued leaking for a while at a slower rate I replaced the flapper and it worked fine. If you have hard water it can create an opening between the flap and the discharge hole where the water exits the bowl. Is the toilet itself really old? If so, it might be better to replace the whole thing, but seeing as you had problems after you replaced the ballcock I'd swap that out with something better, or when all else fails, call a local plumber. Even though I'm only an apprentice I'm not afraid to call in the journeyman when things get over my head.

Good luck!

Comment

Are they humming the theme from "A Bridge to Far"? That is my favorite humming tune.

Comment

The new Ridgid forum.."Ask the humming experts".
            Linda your water pressure *may* be too high along with all of this.
            In the plumbing aisle of your fave. big box store or local hardware store you can find a pressure gauge that attaches right to a hose bib.Let us know,if your are still around.

Comment

nothing wrong with checking the pressure.

but for under $15.00 you can buy a new fluidmaster 400a ballcock and a new tank flapper. in fact they even sell the retrofit one that uses a stainless seat that putties down to the existing flush valve seat.

unless your flush valve is not a typical douglas style flush valve. it will work fine.

if you post a photo of the toilets inner tank, along with the brand of toilet, it can be confirmed that this will work.

how many years have you been a domestic engineer

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
                Are they humming the theme from "A Bridge to Far"? That is my favorite humming tune.

Is the toilet in tune or would your recommend lessons?

Being serious for a minute I had a similar problem with mine and did almost exactly what Rick said and it did fix the problem.

Comment

Is the water valve open completely?

Comment

Working...
                  X