Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice for new bathroom in basement, what to expect when hiring a pro?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for new bathroom in basement, what to expect when hiring a pro?

Here's some pictures of my basement where I want to put a bathroom in at some point. Since I can't even identify the types of plumbing pipes I have, and I'll be using a professional, I thought I'd run it past everyone here and see what kind of decisions I'll need to make, and what kind of price range to expect.
    Attached Files

Re: Advice for new bathroom in basement, what to expect when hiring a pro?

Going off the first photo (left to right) you have a 3" stack with a clean-out serving fixtures above the level photographed; a 2" line with a trap-arm ready for a vanity; a 3" line for placement of a toilet; and a drain pipe (1.5" ?) for your bath tub.

Price wise, I couldn't tell you with certainty what it would cost, but keeping it simple I believe a full, new bathroom runs about $8,000 to $10,000. The sky is the limit if you have expensive taste though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticketed View Post
      Going off the first photo (left to right) you have a 3" stack with a clean-out serving fixtures above the level photographed; a 2" line with a trap-arm ready for a vanity; a 3" line for placement of a toilet; and a drain pipe (1.5" ?) for your bath tub.

Price wise, I couldn't tell you with certainty what it would cost, but keeping it simple I believe a full, new bathroom runs about $8,000 to $10,000. The sky is the limit if you have expensive taste though.
      I'll probably have to hold off on the bathroom plans then, we already have 2 bathrooms in the house and don't have a pressing need for a third. I'd rather work on finishing the main part of the basement, and set aside space for a guest bedroom and bath down the road.
      Last edited by wathman; 05-22-2009, 12:17 AM.

Comment

I never seen blue primer before.

One other thing..you might want to change out those plastic "j" hooks, and use greenfield hangers. When they first came out in the 80's we used them in new work, until a few sewers backed up, and the main drain lines in those homes came crashing down. (they can't support the weight)
        Last edited by Flux; 07-26-2010, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
          I never seen blue primer before.

One other thing..you might want to change out those plastic "j" hooks, and use greenfield hangers. When they first came out in the 80's we used them in new work, until a few sewers backed up, and the main drain lines in those homes came crashing down. (they can't support the weight)
          It's not blue primer,it's blue cement.I've done hundreds of homes(1-1/2,2-1/2,3-1/2,4-1/2,6 bath homes) w/a full stack test thru the roof and left them full for days and have never had a plastic J hook fail once.
          Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

Originally posted by leakfree View Post
            It's not blue primer,it's blue cement.I've done hundreds of homes(1-1/2,2-1/2,3-1/2,4-1/2,6 bath homes) w/a full stack test thru the roof and left them full for days and have never had a plastic J hook fail once.
            From left to right with these pictures, look at picture #1 & #3 as you can clearly see the same hook is curved/stressed. The thin nail that is provided with these hooks are ridiculous, and if a screw was tighten too much will crack the "j" hook.

Nice concept but the "j" hooks has flaws..as you can clearly see in the pictures provided here.

Comment

From left to right with these pictures, look at picture #1 & #3 as you can clearly see the same hook is curved/stressed. The thin nail that is provided with these hooks are ridiculous, and if a screw was tighten too much will crack the "j" hook.

Nice concept but the "j" hooks has flaws..as you can clearly see in the pictures provided here.
              The hook in #1 and #3 appears to have been stressed during installation(unknown brand),it looks to be a 2" line ( I wonder if that line is coming or going to the furnace and not plumbing related)and J hooks are not designed to be installed with screws,the avg.screw will not have the same shear strength as a nail.

The flaws and failures that you have experienced w/the use of plastic J hooks may very well be due to improper installation methods or use of a cheaper lesser quality hook.My experience with them is with the Sioux Chief brand(been using them for many,many years)installed in the correct method and spaced correctly at a max. of 4' and I would never hesitate to use them on a residential job ever as a time saver and a safe secure method of hanging PVC W+V piping systems,but after all this thread was about cost for a basement bath not hangers,so I'd recommend he get a few estimates from area licensed plumbers/check them out with various local govt. agencies and past clients,maybe get a carpenter involved during layout and make a choice of contractor when his budget and need permits him to do it.

Comment

The hook in #1 and #3 appears to have been stressed during installation(unknown brand),it looks to be a 2" line ( I wonder if that line is coming or going to the furnace and not plumbing related)and J hooks are not designed to be installed with screws,the avg.screw will not have the same shear strength as a nail.

The flaws and failures that you have experienced w/the use of plastic J hooks may very well be due to improper installation methods or use of a cheaper lesser quality hook.My experience with them is with the Sioux Chief brand(been using them for many,many years)installed in the correct method and spaced correctly at a max. of 4' and I would never hesitate to use them on a residential job ever as a time saver and a safe secure method of hanging PVC W+V piping systems,but after all this thread was about cost for a basement bath not hangers,so I'd recommend he get a few estimates from area licensed plumbers/check them out with various local govt. agencies and past clients,maybe get a carpenter involved during layout and make a choice of contractor when his budget and need permits him to do it.
                So now I'm installing "j" hooks wrong..gotcha!

Btw..that hook in pictures #1 & #3 is a swivel "j" hanger and has no weight ratings listed on their website like the "hang tough" hangers, which tells me it's not rated for the weight it's currently being used for in the picture provided. Proper installation is not the reason why that hanger is curved..it's because it can't handle the weight itself. The hook should of never been used in that situation..especially since it doesn't have any type of safe working loads.
                Last edited by Flux; 07-27-2010, 10:08 PM.

Comment

So now I'm installing "j" hooks wrong..gotcha!

Btw..that hook in pictures #1 & #3 is a swivel "j" hanger and has no weight ratings listed on their website like the "hang tough" hangers, which tells me it's not rated for the weight it's currently being used for in the picture provided. Proper installation is not the reason why that hanger is curved..it's because it can't handle the weight itself. The hook should of never been used in that situation..especially since it doesn't have any type of safe working loads.

As I said "failure due to improper installation or lesser quality product",part of the proper method for an installation is using the correct hanger or material for the job,which you agree was not done in the photo's supplied which equals improper installation.I never said or insinuated you were installing J hooks improperly as I have never watched you install one,but since neither one of us paid to have an argument I'm done with this thread.

Comment

As I said "failure due to improper installation or lesser quality product",part of the proper method for an installation is using the correct hanger or material for the job,which you agree was not done in the photo's supplied which equals improper installation.I never said or insinuated you were installing J hooks improperly as I have never watched you install one,but since neither one of us paid to have an argument I'm done with this thread.
                    No argument here, I just figured since you done hundreds of homes like you claim, you would of saw the wrong hanger was used in the first place. But I hate to see this guy finish his basement and have a problem with a hanger that can't support the drain line..which made it relevant to what the OP said in his original post. I've never seen you install a "j" hook either, so I don't know if you're doing it correctly or not. A few dollars more for a greenfield hanger takes the concerns out of the equation all together.

Comment

flux

"greenfield hangers"? breid.....................

Comment

Re: flux

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                        "greenfield hangers"? breid.....................
                        Greenfield is the manufacture in Philadelphia who makes these specific hangers. I'm sure you guys call them something else in your part of the country.

http://gfm.biz/partdrawings/320.pdf

Comment

Flux ,are You talking about the metal,plastic lined, perforated,strap
                          hangers they make ? I found them on the net,never used them.
                          much better than what I've used in Ca. Black plastic tube hanger
                          with strap. don't know proper name
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

... I just use pipe strapping and a stove bolt.
                            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

If you can't click on the link I posted above, it is a steel hanger that's rubber coated where the pipe goes through. 1 hanger is rated for 150 lbs, compared to 45lbs for the plastic ones.

We stopped using the plastic ones back in the late 80's because they were not holding up. Today I actually saw the old bag, and still have quite a few left from the new work we used to do back then.

Because of this thread, I've seen they changed them over the years, and they look much better than before. Back then the steel hangers were expensive, and we wanted another choice besides using strap iron all the time.

But now the price of these hangers came down a lot since then..and we just use them all the time now.

Comment

Working...
                              X