X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Homeowner Plumbing Nightmare

If the age of the water heater is in the '92 to '96 time frame, the white sediment you describe could be the infamous diptube issue, although it is hard to explain the localized effect. Check it out.

Comment

I question this because my parents and sister live in San Antonio and neither has the problems you're facing nor have they heard of this in the area. I wouldn't try to back pressure the sytem with air. Too much chance the cpvc will explode. The fact this started suddenly is also causing doubt. I think JC and Bob gave the best advice to figure this out. My advice would be to take one angle stop at a time and have your wife turn on the water(catch it in a bucket).
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Read your Home Warranty contract. They are right not to cover something like that why should they, if they did you would only get 500-1000 bucks for under slab anyway ( I work for a few of the companies). Warranty not a guarantee

Did you hire a plumber to inspect your new home before you purchased it OR did you take the name / list of "recommended" Home inspectors from your agent?

Home inspectors work for the real estate industry if they are to hard with the inspection they do not get the call next time. Agents and Home Inspectors do not want anything to mess up the sale $$$

The only people working for you and in your best interest is an independant trade professional that you hire seperate from your agent.

A home warranty does not absolve the agents of disclosure so go back after them and the home inspector for missing something so obvious ( though you will find that the home inspectors paperwork attempts to release him from any liability)

Just because you have closed does not mean you have no recourse...

I urge all folks to hire independant HVAC / Electric and Plumbing professionals on there own and hold the reports until after the home inspection ( So they can see what I'm talking about)... I had a smart couple do exactly this and pulled the reports on closing day, the owners got caught and it cost them ( They cut three times the repair prices off of the sale price to keep the closing)

Just my 2 cents

Comment

I bought an old home real cheap, private deal, no inspections, real estate agents or financial institutions involved. Had a few plumbing problems and everytime I fixed a leak in the old galvanized pipes another spot would start. I bought a bunch of pipe, fittings and glue and replaced every inch of plumbing in my house. The old galv. pipes were pretty much clogged up with calcium and rust deposits with maybe 1/8th inch of flow. That was in 1979, yes 30 years ago I replaced my plumbing with CPVC. A few repairs have been done over the years, mostly due to remodelling projects, but never a leak or problem with the pipes themselves. A few months ago I had to cut a piece out under slab addition due to forgetting to shut off the outside faucet to prevent freezing. The pipe I cut was 30 years old and had nothing built up inside it. I don't believe that to be your problem, if it were, then why only half the house. I think all the valves and faucets should be removed and cleaned out. Some plumbing repair/work caused some loose settlement to get into the pipes and moved to the valves. If you don't want to get into it yourself, then call in your own plumber to check things out. As for that warrenty company, I would have to fight thier sorry asses over this. You bought an older home and a warrenty on it, anything that goes wrong will be prexisting short of you burning the place down.
          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

cvpc is good for hard water, better than copper is my understanding. If only 1/2 your house is having a problem then maybe its the water heater dumping the sediment or something. I would absolutely try to backflush it, albeit gently at first. Pipes in a slab.......that sucks.

Home inspectors are a joke. I feel the same way about home warranties, but I'm curious: Exactly what's the point of a home warranty if they can claim pre-existing conditions are not their problem?

I think someone is being less than honest, and I don't think its the plumbers.

Comment

I have a hard time believing that lime grows in CPVC pipe. There is probably a plug in the line somewhere. I can say with absolute certainty that the problem is not caused by anything distributed throughout the line.

If there is a Pressure Regulator on the inlet it probably has a strainer that might be plugged. If the pressure is low at the place where water enters the house (with water being used somewhere) then the problem could be the supply from the utility.

There is often an outside faucet near the inlet to the house. How is the flow out of that faucet?

You should spend a few bucks to diagnose the problem. Put some pressure gauges on the lines at various places, starting at the inlet near the water meter. Measure the pressure when all of the water is turned off. Then turn on the faucet where the problem is worst and read the pressure gauges. The problem is between the two gauges where the pressure loss is greatest.

A competent plumber should be able to find where the problem is within a couple of hours, and tell you what must be done to fix it. It should not require re-plumbing a system with CPVC piping.

Comment

I contacted one of the major mfgs. for this person but did not get to the engineering department to find out if CPVC is inert from calcium buildup. The "technical" person I spoke too was sitting at a computer that they put questions in for answers.

PM'd a chemical engineer too.

Waiting.

J.C.

Comment

Re-check the shutoffs. When we sold our first house the home inspector hired by the buyers checked every shutoff he could find. I guess he was in a rush as he failed to re-open the valves all the way. Pressure varied all over the house. Never did get the hot water pressure all the way back.

Comment

this is a very interesting thread.

first things first, where the aerators checked?

sometimes when the city does work on the water mains, or if there was a fire, things get stirred up as it where.

keep plugg'in away.

Vince

Comment

Working...
                    X