3 handle shower valve leaking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 handle shower valve leaking

Here we go again, I am having a problem with yet another shower leaking. It's a 3 valve shower. I brought all new stems, hot & cold & the diverter valve. And I am still getting leaks . I don't want to have to get someone to tear part of the wall to check out the problem. Any suggestions of what it could be or should do? Please advise.

Re: 3 handle shower valve leaking

you changed the stems but did you change the seats if any?

Back of a shower is usualy a closet if thats the case you can cut an inspection hatch in the closet saving the tile or whatever you have in the tub.

Comment

Yes, changed the seats. Back of the shower is the kitchen. Not to happy about cutting the kitchen wall. Still leaking after replacing the stems with new ones.

Comment

It's leaking from the sprout. The parts are new, good quality.

Comment

Some tips:

carefully put about 1½ wraps of teflon tape on the threads of the seats. Trim any excess.

ensure when removing AND reinstalling stems that they are screwed OUT. Otherwise you damage stuff!

Comment

I hate sprouts.

J.C.

Comment

If it's not a pressure balanced valve, you should change it out before someone gets scalded.
              sigpic

Comment

maybe a new moen posi temp shower valve with service stops, and a remodel plate and some shark bites. just an idea

Comment

Spout, sprouts..you know what I am talking about. Thanks for the post.

Comment

Originally posted by Beatriz51 View Post
                    Spout, sprouts..you know what I am talking about. Thanks for the post.
                    You are 100% welcome. Amazing you don't have a single plumber in your area.

Wait, I know. You're a single, one armed, octo-mom that just lost her job.

J.C.

Comment

well cutting a hole in drywall is alot easyer to fix than tile replacement or fiberglass.

Comment

Originally posted by Beatriz51 View Post
                        Yes, changed the seats. Back of the shower is the kitchen. Not to happy about cutting the kitchen wall. Still leaking after replacing the stems with new ones.
                        oo ya almost forgot. did you inspect the new stems before you put them in and did you make sure they are the right ones?

if you got them from HD well i've seen O-rings and other parts missing from there stem packages many times.

Comment

JCS PLUMBING? STANDS FOR JACK CRAPS? YOUR COMMENT IS NOT NEEDED. Besides, I am self employed. And yes single Mom thanks to men like you who are a holes. And yes, there are plenty of plumbers, just that I like to work on things on my own. Learning experience, that's what life is about isn't it? Thanks for your Male comments, just reinforces my choice to stay single.

Comment

So was there a lot of corrosion when you removed the valve seats? Some times the water will leak around the seat.

I have also found brass shavings embedded in the washers of brand new stems.

Comment

ouch---i love that smell in the air!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whos the hack that said sharkbite---i can smell the mold already--sharkbite spaghetti nightmare----big repair bill coming

Comment

Working...
                              X