Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Testing out

Originally posted by Drip Trip View Post
    What a strange post. If we were face-to-face, I'd knock you out and steal your wallet.
    Right or wrong. That made me laugh.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      I think you missed the point. Or maybe not. Just don't cut the established wage of those that are doing things right in the area.

Someone could easily come into your area and put alot of people on equipment for half your wages and put you out of a job. Right? Wrong?

Testing varies. Some licenses will reciprocate. Some won't. Where I'm at what you're proposing would be plumbing contracting without a license. Other areas allow the plumbing, hvac, structure etc. to all fall under a General Contractors license.

If that's the case where you are, then once again that would put you in a position of General Contracting without a license. Both increase your liability % dramatically and exposure to suits for anything including fraud.

Simply saying "I'm just the business manager" won't cut it. At least not here. I have the plumbing board newsletters where bench warrants and jail terms HAVE been issued in some
      scenarios.

We are, after all, litigation nation.

Check everything. And keep the wage base up in my opinion.

J.C.

Oh No! I got the point That is why I paid the guy $50.00 bucks an hour. If that is not a correct wage what should I have paid? No one will tell me.

I am well aware of the potential for hiring and paying less than an established wage for opreators, carpenters, plumbers etc. and the thought is not pleasant. Everybody looses.

While I would just manage the business I would be more than the 'business manager' I would be the owner. Ideally I would have received the correct information about insurance and be covered for most plumbing eventualities. General Contractors don't need to be licensed here, which I think is wrong. I often read about people who set themselves up as contractors, take a down payment and run or do shoddy work. Sad.

I couldn't agree more that we are 'Litigation Nation.'

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Drip Trip View Post
        What a strange post. If we were face-to-face, I'd knock you out and steal your wallet.
        With my tempermant if you needed something and we were face to face I would probably give it to you. You wouldn't need to knock me out.

On the other hand if someone tries to steal from me... Lets just say I have firearms readily available.
        Tom

Comment

This thread has gotten way out of hand.

I would like to help a guy become a licensed plumber so I asked for information.

The licensed plumber was a no-show or more to the point a no-return-call even after I was willing to pay $100.00 per hour cash, my suggestion.

I paid the non-licensed guy $50.00 an hour - cash. He used my tools and my truck.

What did I do wrong?
          Tom

Comment

Regardless of licensing requirements where you live.

I think licensed plumbers, including myself, who have put in the hours and years of work and studying code, take offense to "joe the plumber" picking up a "monkey" wrench and saying "Hey, I'm a plumber now"

I have a hammer in my van but it does not make me a carpenter.
            I have a spatula in my kitchen but I'm no chef.
            I have a inspection camera but I'm no gastrointestinal doctor.

In Louisiana we have a state plumbing board along with local licensing requirements here that people are always bypassing to get the slave wages.

Then they call the licensed guys to fix the F' ups.

I get calls pretty regularly asking me to file for other peoples work. No thanks, you got what you paid for.

Comment

Tom, You're addressing some very skilled tradesman. Some of these, are having hard times with this economy. We see a foreign national with no license ,taking food out of their Children,s mouths. I am amazed at the restraint,so far! Do Me a favor ,for giggles.
              Please repeat this post on the plumbing Zone, Let Us know how It's received.
              Be well Tool
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
                This thread has gotten way out of hand.

I would like to help a guy become a licensed plumber so I asked for information.

The licensed plumber was a no-show or more to the point a no-return-call even after I was willing to pay $100.00 per hour cash, my suggestion.

I paid the non-licensed guy $50.00 an hour - cash. He used my tools and my truck.

What did I do wrong?
                Tom
                You posted that information here

Comment

Okay guys lets take it down a notch. It sounds like he complied with local regulations but would like to help a guy he felt had talent further himself. It would have been much easier for him to take advantage of the guy by paying a lesser amount then go back to his own life.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    He posted license are not required where the job was so it is possible no one in the area is licensed. I remember when not only were there no licenses but you didn't need to pull permits to build a home in Arizona because there were no inspections. We have to remember different parts of the Country have different rules.

Mark

My bad ... Sorry!

Just seemed from the original post that he was going to try to take advantage of the guy. Maybe if he had not mentioned the guy was from else where, I would not have received it that way. We see a lot of contractors taking advantage of Mexican Nationals down here. They pay a small wage to skilled or unskilled workers because they can. There is no paper trail no regulation very little risk. So people trying to do things right can't get a job because they know their skill is worth more and won't work for cash under the table.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
                      My bad ... Sorry!Just seemed from the original post that he was going to try to take advantage of the guy. Maybe if he had not mentioned the guy was from else where, I would not have received it that way. We see a lot of contractors taking advantage of Mexican Nationals down here. They pay a small wage to skilled or unskilled workers because they can. There is no paper trail no regulation very little risk. So people trying to do things right can't get a job because they know their skill is worth more and won't work for cash under the table.

Unfortunately we are starting to see a similar thing here. Go to Home Depot at 7:00 and it is not unusual to see a couple Hispanics asking for work. The ones I have talked to can't speak english well but they all ask for $10.00 an hour.

I have never hired one. I feel a bit of a twinge of sadness because of their plight but it was their decision to come here not mine. Plus I don't need my name splashed all over newspaper because I have hired an undocumented worker. If I need temporary help I call my wife. Her grad students are always looking for extra dough and many are strong as an ox.

Maybe I misunderstood the last sentence above about not working for cash. But, I love to get cash for a job, no billing to worry about, no checks to worry about. If I pay someone cash it is up to their conscience to declare it.

Tom

Comment

Ok daddy
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

i get mexicans walking onto jobs sites asking me for work all the damn time..

they will walk right onto a 15mil remodel off the street looking for work i just start yelling at them in jibberish and they cut out real quick....

Comment

Hey Easyman, is a Mexican National the same thing as an illegal alien ? I can't tell any more. These politically correct
                            things drive me nutz.
                            sigpic

Comment

I don't see many Mexican Nationals here as day laborers. Most of the day laborers are from South America.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                                Hey Easyman, is a Mexican National the same thing as an illegal alien ? I can't tell any more. These politically correct
                                things drive me nutz.
                                Some are Illegal some just don't speak English well. Either way they are driving down wages and have put my father in law (20 year electrician) out of work. They work for $8- $10 an hour when they should be paid $16-$20.

Comment

Working...
                                X