X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rinnai

I have old model Rinnai (REU 502) on my sailboat. The unit is 23 years old and has worked just fine until this year. The pilot lights on it but when the hot water runs through the system, the propane heaters fail to come on. We've unscrewed the screw where the propane enters and blew into it. there was good pressure. I took the tank to a dealer and it was almost full and had good pressure. I suspect however the system is not turning on when the water flows through it because something is either gummed up (after 23 years) or corroded or broken. Can any one make any suggestions? thanks, ron

Re: rinnai

Buy a new one

23 Years is way beyond the serviceable lifespan of a Rinnai especially if in a salt water environment.

Contact a local licensed plumbing professional who deals with Rinnai for service. When dealing with LP appliances you are better safe then sorry.

Okie

Comment

Rinnai does'nt reccomend installation in a mobile home. So, why would they a sailboat? Just asking.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbertim1975 View Post
        Rinnai does'nt reccomend installation in a mobile home. So, why would they a sailboat? Just asking.
        Who knows what they were recommending in 1986? I don't.

Sounds like a flow control in todays' times.

J.C.

Comment

JCS and all: thanks for the quick feedback. Finding a new unit that would fit was the problem. I think I found one at excelamerica. But, i don't know anything about them...have you ever dealt with their tankless propane products? They seem to sell their products on ebay, not through dealers. That seems strange to me. They also don't seem to have any warranty that I can find on their site. They don't have an 800 number. but, they do advertise on their site their product, which is ventless, can be used on sailboats and work with low pressure (5PSI) pumps. Again, think sailboats. We're not talking large sums of money here but I don't want to rip apart the plumbing for something we will have to replace in a few years. Thanks for any thoughts, ron

Comment

Call and Talk to your marina's boat maintenance guys or contact your harbormaster and get a recomendation on a marine product that will fit your needs. Your Harbormaster or local marina will be able to connect you to the right folks

Coastguard may have new requirements if you are going to replace equipment ( think code upgrades).

Okie

Comment

the flow servo is indeed gummed up---you need to find the foreverhotwater.com site and look for a certified service tech like myself in your area--if it never has been serviced, may be tricky, but rinnai would be happy to hear of a 23 year old unit that still works up till yesterday---could possibly be a quick servo swap

Comment

dont do this yourself---you will never get it to work again---they are very tricky and intimidating for unexperienced people

Comment

Working...
                X