X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BioBen? Benjamin Franklin?

I would appreciate professional opinions on the efficacy of BioBen, Benjamin Franklin Plumbing's proprietary drain cleaner.

Anyone familiar with the company and its sales tactics/pricing? I'd like to hear from you, too.

Re: BioBen? Benjamin Franklin?

Not an expert or a plumber, but their commercials really tick me off. The we'll pay you $5/a minute if we're late thing is what bothers me. Just makes me think they give you a bs window, are overcharging you to do the work, or some combination thereof.

Comment

The Main Active Ingedient in that bottle is...

100% Pure Revenue Enhancement!

How many did you buy?
      Or was it included in the "Package"
      411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

$60-$80 for a quart I imagine?! Are we researching buyers remorse here?
        The product will likely work.Good? Great? Somewhat?
        The cheap foaming stuff or enzyme cleaners at Target work as well for 1/10th the money.
        The purchase of that product by you has your drain secondary to your wallet indeed!

Comment

Researching a case of elder abuse. Here's the horrorstory:

Benj. Franklin plumber deducts usual $79 service call charge, quotes $248 for basement floor drain cleanout. Says he’ll throw in bathroom sink drain cleanout for free, then charges $180 for it on the invoice and claims he never said free.

Customer repeatedly refuses to buy BioBen, but plumber won’t take no for an answer. He says if customer doesn’t agree to take two 2-lb. cans of the drain cleaner at $10 each, he’ll have to add $20 to the $180. Blackmailed customer caves in. The two cans are billed at $45 each on the invoice.

Grand total: $518. (In this town, the typical charge for a basement drain cleanout plus a sink drain cleanout done during a single service call runs between $150 and $160, with no service call charge.)

If this plumber’s unethical sales tactics are the product of corporate sales and marketing training, why aren’t there a ton of negative reviews of the company on the Web rather than less than a handful?

Thanks for all responses so far.
          Last edited by Minneapolis; 06-05-2009, 01:27 AM.

Comment

These boys are under some high pressure to make major sales.One of the "Bens" here was a different franchise whose slogan was "We are the red tie guys" and that was a .For drain problems you are always best calling a LOCAL SMALL drain cleaning company.These sewer rats know your drains better, have reasonable prices and are not trying to clean up for a massive overhead and even bigger marketing campaign.
            Having said that I have bumped into some of these guys at the wholesale houses and know they have some good mechanics on their staff and would not fear the plumbing,just the bill. Are you old enough for the senior discount? That is usually good with many shops for 10 % off of your tab. If so call them and gently ask (Don't slay the poor girls in the office!) for that portion back if offered and then you want to make a relationship with a good *local* plumber and drain cleaner. Brush your self off and it's a lesson learned.
            Last edited by Jay Mpls; 06-05-2009, 08:46 AM. Reason: spel like heellll

Comment

Originally posted by Minneapolis View Post
              I would appreciate professional opinions on the efficacy of BioBen, Benjamin Franklin Plumbing's proprietary drain cleaner.

Anyone familiar with the company and its sales tactics/pricing? I'd like to hear from you, too.
              I Know that their priceing is flat rate and that they are some of the highest priced in the area. question is are their employees any better than the other companies that are 10 to 20 percent less in cost and so on

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
                These boys are under some high pressure to make major sales.One of the "Bens" here was a different franchise whose slogan was "We are the red tie guys" and that was a .For drain problems you are always best calling a LOCAL SMALL drain cleaning company.These sewer rats know your drains better, have reasonable prices and are not trying to clean up for a massive overhead and even bigger marketing campaign.
                Having said that I have bumped into some of these guys at the wholesale houses and know they have some good mechanics on their staff and would not fear the plumbing,just the bill. Are you old enough for the senior discount? That is usually good with many shops for 10 % off of your tab. If so call them and gently ask (Don't slay the poor girls in the office!) for that portion back if offered and then you want to make a relationship with a good *local* plumber and drain cleaner. Brush your self off and it's a lesson learned.

Well said!

Comment

Call the I-Team, install the hidden cameras, pick a nice little old widow to be the victim, let the thieves do that voodoo that they do so well, and put them on the six o-clock news.
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                    Call the I-Team, install the hidden cameras, pick a nice little old widow to be the victim, let the thieves do that voodoo that they do so well, and put them on the six o-clock news.
                    And the company will can the pirate as a rogue while claiming complete innocence.
                    411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

Upshot: I fought it tooth and nail with the Benjamin Franklin manager, who claimed the plumber/salesman was “a good guy.” Nonetheless, he eventually caved in and issued a credit for $290, making the total charge $228 rather than $518.

IMO, the plumber/salesman was not rogue. He was doing Benjamin Franklin business as usual, which in my case meant sending a second plumber along, a man whose sole function was to “build the ticket” by whatever means necessary, unethical or not.

To quote an online reviewer who says he worked for the company as a senior service technician and manager, “Don’t ever let them in your home!”

Comment

IMO, the plumber/salesman was not rogue. He was doing Benjamin Franklin business as usual, which in my case meant sending a second plumber along, a man whose sole function was to “build the ticket” by whatever means necessary, unethical or not.

To quote an online reviewer who says he worked for the company as a senior service technician and manager, “Don’t ever let them in your home!”
                        Great for you and a message to everyone!
                        Thank you for the update!
                        Drop a line (PM) next flood.Promise not to sell any Bio-Ben!

Comment

Upshot: I fought it tooth and nail with the Benjamin Franklin manager, who claimed the plumber/salesman was “a good guy.” Nonetheless, he eventually caved in and issued a credit for $290, making the total charge $228 rather than $518.

Good job, that is exactly how you handle an over priced franchise with there billing you call and complain. They expect to give back refunds as a cost of doing business. They would rather pay you a refund than have you call the Contractors state license board etc... David

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                            That's a good idea Ace, and call the same company to a senior's house and the bill for the same job would be twice as much. These national brand name companies are thick corporations that put pressure on the shop managers to get more every year arbitrarily, those managers put more pressure on the line "Technicians" ( most techs are not licensed and most are just out of training.) The technicians are paid on commission so, the bigger the invoice, the bigger the pay check. The national brand name shop I worked for in California is looking at their fourth court case for overcharging or elder abuse type cases, this year.
                            ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnman1100 View Post
                              That's a good idea Ace, and call the same company to a senior's house and the bill for the same job would be twice as much. These national brand name companies are thick corporations that put pressure on the shop managers to get more every year arbitrarily, those managers put more pressure on the line "Technicians" ( most techs are not licensed and most are just out of training.) The technicians are paid on commission so, the bigger the invoice, the bigger the pay check. The national brand name shop I worked for in California is looking at their fourth court case for overcharging or elder abuse type cases, this year.

Precisely the reason I DON"T pay techs on comission; gives them direct $ incentive to build the ticket.

Sad part is the guy doing the direct bilking is the one who would catch the poopstorm over it, and if he's at all honest he's just doing what the structure forces him to do to pay himself and trying to get far enough in front that he can get away from the thieves he works for.
                              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X