X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new drains take a look

I am installing a bathroom downstairs I have attached a drawing of what I am doing in regards to the drains etc.
    Does this look like it will work?
    Thanks
    Attached Files

Re: new drains take a look

Could 'Ya Post a Decent ISO That Looks Like Gibberish ....

Comment

Do not forget each fixture needs its own vent line.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

No way that's going to work.

Just like SR stated, you need to vent those fixtures.

The way you have it, all the fixtures are going to be talking to you when flushing the toilet.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

What do you mean that they will be talking to me?
          When you say each fixture needs it own vent line, the rest of the house is set up like what I show.
          I don't have much choice as to the placement of original stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ekih View Post
            I am installing a bathroom downstairs I have attached a drawing of what I am doing in regards to the drains etc.
            Does this look like it will work?
            Thanks
            It looks great I am assuming this it is an unvented branch drain system where you can branch off the main run up to 8.5 meters (28') without having to vent each individual fixture as the main drain is already vented.

Tony

Comment

AFM
              Yes this is a branch with the total length of main being approx. 18'.
              With the main stack having a 4" vent and the upstairs sink drain having a 2" vent.
              I have been told it would be a good idea to keep the upstairs sink drain on its own 2" and feed into the 4" directly.

Comment

I would check with your local codes. Maybe call your local plumbing inspector. Here in Illinois you can not have any fixture unvented.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                  I would check with your local codes. Maybe call your local plumbing inspector. Here in Illinois you can not have any fixture unvented.
                  You blokes should move.
                  How hard is it to vent each fixture separately.
                  Can you join the vents together or do you need to take them through the roof seperately
                  As AFM said we don't need to vent a fixture as long as it is within 8.5 metres on the vented line.

Simon

Comment

8.5 Meters?! With IPC we can go 8 Feet for a 2 inch line, and technically theres no maximum distance for a toilet to be from it's vent. but still, 8.5 meters seems really far. I guess it's all in what you grow to know.

Originally posted by Some Day Plumbing View Post
                    You blokes should move.
                    Can you join the vents together or do you need to take them through the roof seperately
                    As AFM said we don't need to vent a fixture as long as it is within 8.5 metres on the vented line.

Simon
                    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by Some Day Plumbing View Post
                      You blokes should move.

Simon
                      We can wet vent, but how and when gets fuzzy due to inspector interpretation.

My city inspector prefers wet venting, county inspector doesn't.

As to the picture, I'd definitely be doing some wet venting if allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by lmpg View Post

What city are you in?

Illinois Plumbing Code is pretty strict on when and where as well as how to wet vent.

Section 890.1500 Installation of Wet Venting
                        a) Single Bathroom Groups. A single bathroom group of fixtures may be installed with the drain from an individually vented lavatory or kitchen sink or a kitchen sink serving as a wet vent for a bathtub or shower and for the water closet, provided that:

1) Not more than 4 drainage fixture units drain into a 2 inch diameter wet vent; and

2) The horizontal branch shall be a minimum of 2 inches and connect to the stack at the same level as the water closet drain. It may also connect to the water closet bend. (See Appendix K: Illustration S.)

b) Double Bathroom Groups. Bathroom groups back-to-back on the top floor consisting of 2 lavatories and 2 bathtubs or showers may be installed on the same horizontal branch with a common vent for the lavatories and with no individual vent for bathtubs or showers, provided the wet vent is 2 inches in diameter, and the length of the fixture drain conforms to Appendix A: Table E. (See Appendix K: Illustration T.)

c) Multi-story Bathroom Groups. On the lower floors of a multi-story building, the waste pipe from one or 2 lavatories may be used as a wet vent for one or 2 bathtubs or showers, provided that:

1) The wet vent and its extension to the vent stack is 2 inches in diameter;

2) Each water closet below the top floor is back-vented; and

3) The vent stack is sized as given in Appendix A: Table J. (See Appendix K: Illustrations U and V.)
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lmpg View Post

Oh another note about Illinois Plumbing Code. It is the bare minimum allowed code to follow when plumbing. Counties and cities can make the code stricter but can not do less than what the Illinois code allows. So a bit of advice for those doing plumbing in Illinois, or really anywhere really, check with your local building department for what codes they follow and if they have any amendments. If you are still confused talk to the plumbing inspector. Asking a bunch of people on the internet about your plumbing plans is not the best idea since each and every person will have a different set of codes they have to follow.

Same thing with asking if a price you where quoted by a contractor is a fair price on the internet. Bad Idea. Cost of living is different everywhere you go, so with that cost to do business will vary. If you truly want to see if you are getting a fair price, call at least 3 other contractors and get estimates. This way the only difference you will be dealing with local companies, the price will still vary due to how much it costs each company to do business in your town. For example huge ads cost more than the guy with a card sized ad, the guy that is properly licensed , insured and bonded will have a higher cost than the fly-by-night guy, and so on.

Comment

What city are you in?

Illinois Plumbing Code is pretty strict on when and where as well as how to wet vent.

Section 890.1500 Installation of Wet Venting
                            a) Single Bathroom Groups. A single bathroom group of fixtures may be installed with the drain from an individually vented lavatory or kitchen sink or a kitchen sink serving as a wet vent for a bathtub or shower and for the water closet, provided that:

1) Not more than 4 drainage fixture units drain into a 2 inch diameter wet vent; and

2) The horizontal branch shall be a minimum of 2 inches and connect to the stack at the same level as the water closet drain. It may also connect to the water closet bend. (See Appendix K: Illustration S.)

b) Double Bathroom Groups. Bathroom groups back-to-back on the top floor consisting of 2 lavatories and 2 bathtubs or showers may be installed on the same horizontal branch with a common vent for the lavatories and with no individual vent for bathtubs or showers, provided the wet vent is 2 inches in diameter, and the length of the fixture drain conforms to Appendix A: Table E. (See Appendix K: Illustration T.)

c) Multi-story Bathroom Groups. On the lower floors of a multi-story building, the waste pipe from one or 2 lavatories may be used as a wet vent for one or 2 bathtubs or showers, provided that:

1) The wet vent and its extension to the vent stack is 2 inches in diameter;

2) Each water closet below the top floor is back-vented; and

3) The vent stack is sized as given in Appendix A: Table J. (See Appendix K: Illustrations U and V.)
                            Agreed. Assuming a two trap on the shower and 1 1/4 on the lav it is conceivable to wet vent the the bathroom. It may not be physically possible to do it, IDK.

I'm not saying your wrong. It's just a different way to look at it.

Comment

Oh another note about Illinois Plumbing Code. It is the bare minimum allowed code to follow when plumbing. Counties and cities can make the code stricter but can not do less than what the Illinois code allows. So a bit of advice for those doing plumbing in Illinois, or really anywhere really, check with your local building department for what codes they follow and if they have any amendments. If you are still confused talk to the plumbing inspector. Asking a bunch of people on the internet about your plumbing plans is not the best idea since each and every person will have a different set of codes they have to follow.
                              Agreed again.

That was kind of my point. One inspector says wet vent whenever you can, another doesn't like it. Same code, different style/interpretation.

Comment

Working...
                              X