Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

soil pipe snap cutter -vs- carbide recipricating saw blade- which is more reliable?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• soil pipe snap cutter -vs- carbide recipricating saw blade- which is more reliable?

I have to cut out a section of 4" service weight pipe. I've used carbide recipricating blades and have gotton straight cuts. I don't have experience with a soil snap cutter, but I've been told by some people you can't always control the snap cut and sometimes the pipe will crack in the horizontal direction of the cut. I'm in a spot where if that happens I'll have real problems. Can anyone tell me in their experience what they would do in such a situation. problems with snap cutting. etc.
    Thanks

Re: soil pipe snap cutter -vs- carbide recipricating saw blade- which is more reliabl

use a grinder w/ cutting wheel, faster and more accurate, that is your best bet

Comment

Re: soil pipe snap cutter -vs- carbide recipricating saw blade- which is more reliabl

If the pipe cracks with the soil pipe snap cutter, it was a defective piece of pipe in the first place. In the 20+ years I been doing plumbing, I only had 3 pipes crack like that and they where made in China crap. Snap cutters has always worked for me. It is important that all the wheels on the chain and the links are free moving to ensure a good clean cut. I have seen some bad cuts by other contractors, and noticed they had some rusted in place links in the chain.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

here's the deal with a snap cutter.

it's the fastest way for cutting cast iron pipe. might not be the cleanest cut compared to an abrasive saw, but it's the standard that's used in construction.

problem comes with using a snap cutter in tight access places and on old brittle pipe.

if you have only 1 chance to make it right, i would use what you're most comfortable with. in your case the sawzall.

in my case from what you've explained and what i can picture, a 4.5'' grinder with either a cut off wheel or a diamond blade.

i cut old cast on a regular basis with snap cutters and use it almost like a wheel cutter. tighten the chain just enough to apply tension and keep rolling it back and forth on the pipe. tightening enough as you go to dig in and eventually score the pipe and snap it.

vertical pipe traditionally is safe. it's the horizontal pipe that wears thin on the bottom.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Diamond blade angle grinder.

I can get almost everywhere with that.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Most of the time the Snap cutters Work ... This Time I had to use the Diamond Edge Recip Blades ... They DO Work but are VERY SLOW ! They Also Cost about $12.00 Each and I only got 1 Cut Per Blade ...

Dave

Comment

I want to thank everyone for their opinions. You guys and your experience make this forum worth its weight in gold.
              joseph

Comment

Originally posted by joefarrock View Post
                I have to cut out a section of 4" service weight pipe. I've used carbide recipricating blades and have gotton straight cuts. I don't have experience with a soil snap cutter, but I've been told by some people you can't always control the snap cut and sometimes the pipe will crack in the horizontal direction of the cut. I'm in a spot where if that happens I'll have real problems. Can anyone tell me in their experience what they would do in such a situation. problems with snap cutting. etc.
                Thanks
                I have run into this problem . the best way to cut soil pipe is with a handheld grinder with a cutoff wheel. DON"T forget to have all safty gear on safty glasses etc.this will give you a great and clean cut. as far as carbide bits and saw that works also but you need to cut with blade moveing slowly so that the blade won't heat up and get dull. because of this issue it takes alot longer to cut the pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                  Diamond blade angle grinder.

I can get almost everywhere with that.
                  How difficult is it to cut with a diamond blade.
                  How does the blade go with the cast iron metal.
                  Do you need to use water to stop the blade getting hot.

Simon

Comment

CI The package said water helps ...That was NOT an option for me ....

Gentle pressure took about 10 minutes to cut through 4" CI

Dave

Comment

When I worked for an environmental company tearing down old buildings I used flexovit razorblade disks. They are thin and slice through a ton of cast Iron really quickly. Now in plumbing I use them a bit too but where I mostly work in new construction I hardly deal with cast. A good grinder is worth its weight in gold for many tasks so dont be afraid to buy one. Havent tried diamond blades on cast but they work great on tile and other weird stuff like fiberglass.

Good luck and have fun!

Comment

vertical pipe traditionally is safe. it's the horizontal pipe that wears thin on the bottom.
                        Now that's a tip!

Comment

Originally posted by Marklar89 View Post
                          When I worked for an environmental company tearing down old buildings I used flexovit razorblade disks. They are thin and slice through a ton of cast Iron really quickly. Now in plumbing I use them a bit too but where I mostly work in new construction I hardly deal with cast. A good grinder is worth its weight in gold for many tasks so dont be afraid to buy one. Havent tried diamond blades on cast but they work great on tile and other weird stuff like fiberglass.

Good luck and have fun!
                          "A good grinder is worth it's weight in gold"
                          How very true.

You mentioned the wafer thin blades.
                          For cutting cast,they are the only way to go.anything else is a waste.

Comment

I use either a ridgid reed with cast iron cutters, just the other day cut out my own 4in cast stack . my boss got me into taking my chop saw apart and cut with that works great

Comment

Working...
                            X